Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice before I get it wrong please.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice before I get it wrong please.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Advice before I get it wrong please. Reply with quote

I have a TT GO700 and have just bought a TT GO710.
The 700 is up to date with details as below, the 710 out of the box has App 6.110, map 650.1047 and needs to go to App 6.52 (I think).

Advice I need is do you think TT Home will run BOTH machines? At present I haven't yet tried connecting the 710 to PC (simply copied the SD card to a 2Gb one and am using the copy) - I'm unimpressed by TT Home and wouldn't want to have it even less stable than right now!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, you should be able to use multiple devices via TT Home (I do) - you get the option to select which device even if you connect both at once - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just look at that - a mere thirteen minutes and I'm sorted.
Just exactly the help I needed and before I came back to see if anything had come through. How I love this site and the helpful people on it. Love it Not Worthy Clap

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its anything to do with Home, I'd not count your chickens TOO soon though! Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, today I ran them both to Birmingham and back - not quite in sync, sounded like a couple of back seat drivers on the windscreen - reminded me of grandchildren telling each other not to copy what they're saying! To add to the fun, a few miles short of "Home" I changed one to a small diversion - I thought they'd come to blows. :D

For those who want to know about maps, they ARE different - I've only got one instance at present, but, having found one, would expect more. Not a huge difference - on the A441 Redditch Road entering Birmingham approaching junction with B4096 Longbridge Lane, the 710 said speed limit 60, the 700 said 30. OK, a minor matter, BUT if that's one difference, how many more "updates" are x10 owners not getting (not that they'd want this, 60 is right, 30 wrong!!).

For "our" confidence, not one of the TT cameras was right. In fairness, Plus wouldn't accept me logging in to download update. I still have to suss that one out, so they might have camera updates. Traffic (free month trial), on the other hand seemed to work fine. Again I'll have to RTFM (curses!) to derive benefit from it. Looks like the free trial may persuade me to subscribe.

I shall now go and run a TT Home session to update the 710 and see how it compares on the same journey tomorrow.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
If its anything to do with Home, I'd not count your chickens TOO soon though! Laughing

Cluck Bluddy Cluck !!
EVERYBODY knows it's App v 6.520 for x10 series (and x00 now). On my new out of the box 710 I've got v6.110, but Home tells me there are no updates. Maybe it's because Home's info on my 700 knows I've got 6.520 on that. I'd ask TomTom if I thought I'd get any sense, but instead I'll just wait until somebody here tells me the answer. Grrrr

MIKE I did connect both at once (after getting nowhere with updates and learning that Home didn't actually keel over) and you're right, they did both survive. Thing is, are your multitude of devices all on App 6.520 and did they get there one at a time or what?

Dennis

Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If HOME knows that you have the latest application on your PC, it won't tell you that you don't have it on your device. What it should do, if it has a version on the PC newer than the version on the device, is show the newer version in bold, be it an app., map or anything else. So, when you plug the 710 in, do you get

TomTom Application for GO, ONE and RIDER (6.520)

in bolder font to the rest of the apps? I updated a 910 and RIDER one at a time. It isn't an automatic process.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your unit that refuses to update connected via home have a look at what is available in the middle window within the home application, you should find version 6,52 listed, select the check box adjacent to it and then click install this action will update the unit with the software that is allready on your PC.
As ever I would recommend you do a back-up of the device prior to doing this, just in case.
As for your question with respect to what version my devices are running, I have given up bothering checking, they just get used updated when and where necessary - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tim and Mike.
In the centre I have two entries ..

TomTom application for GO 300/500/700, GO, One and Rider 7.5MB
TomTom application for Go One and Rider 8.0MB
Neither of them is bold or highlighted, nor do they show a version number. The second entry came when I got the 6.520 download for my 700.
With my heart in my mouth (and three backups) I clicked on the second, then on "Install". It responded "This item is not suitable for your device". Out of devilment I tried the same with the upper entry and got the same.

I've just discovered that holding a right click over the second line gives a window saying "App ..... 6.520 This item is not suitable for your TomTom device". (From memory, I now recall that when 6.520 came out first, it was only for x10 series and subsequently the x00 version became available).

Right click over the App in right window identifies it as v6.110.

When I click on Download your updates I get "There are no updates"

I now wonder whether this problem stems from having the Home version (albeit updated as required by Home) associated with GO700 (we had to download Home to get 6.520). Any more straws to clutch? Not that I feel greatly fussed - when I bought the 700 I was rather hoping it might still have the old original TTS feature which I would not have updated out!! So not having 6.520 doesn't seem life threatening. Maybe on Monday I'll try e-mailing TT (when I can get through the endless "useful" answers section).

Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you double-click on the application in the 'PC' side of HOME, it should tell you what build that version is. You could try removing the .toc and .cab files from your Content or Downloads (or wherever they are within the HOME directory structure to somewhere else, then try connecting the 710 again and seeing what happens.

On a personal note, I use HOME to update a GO910, a RIDER and a PPC with no problems.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to take so long to notice your reply Tim, took ages finding the reset button - reminds me of one reason I hate Home, almost every time I use it with my 700 I have to reset to get it alive and it now did the same with my 710. Grrrrr. (A newer reason now with the 710 is the dock is almost useless - the power cable falls out if I so much as look at it. I wish I had the guts to try the power cable from the 700, it's a tighter fit)

Double click gives me a filename ..... navcore_6.52.7690.go-rider-one.cab

ALL the .cab and ALL the .toc files?? That looks frightening?

sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try to install the system update in the old way. Try using the version available from Oldboy's site:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/oldboy/TomTomUpdates/index.html
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you'll have navcorex.yy.zzzz.toc and a corresponding .cab file. In your case it should be 6.52.7690. Moving these might make HOME find the file for your 710.

Do try the power cable for your 700. I use the same one in the 910 dock , directly into the bottom of the RIDER and in my TT BT Mk2 GPSR.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
No, you'll have navcorex.yy.zzzz.toc and a corresponding .cab file. In your case it should be 6.52.7690. Moving these might make HOME find the file for your 710.

Do try the power cable for your 700. I use the same one in the 910 dock , directly into the bottom of the RIDER and in my TT BT Mk2 GPSR.

Right, I've moved those two and will try again as you suggest.

As for the 700 cable - oooooooooooooo, eeeeeeeeeee. (still, it's only two days old, I could go back "with a faulty thingy" to Maplin's where I bought it only 10 mins drive away)

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BINGO ! I now have 6.520 etc. AND the little green light stayed on and it didn't blow up. AND only 3MB RAM free (but so what? My first computer had 640Kb RAM and 20Mb hard disk and TWO five and a quarter inch 360K floppy drives which all kept me stunningly happy for two years). Double thank you.

When you next come back, what should I do with the moved .cab and .toc - move 'em back again?

It was worth missing Match of the Day.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: