Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ICN 510 - Postcode Search
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ICN 510 - Postcode Search

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James17
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: ICN 510 - Postcode Search Reply with quote

Hi, I have an ICN 510 and would like to know if you can update the software to search by the full postcode? rather than 4 characters. The address and postcode search on the Smart ST software is very poor compared to Tom Tom software I use through my Ipaq, however the ICN 510 looks far better and is solid in the car.

I've taken a look at the Navman website and there are some updates for the ICN 510 however non of these cover the postcode searching, have I missed something?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

James

Confused
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new set of maps is apparently imminent and it is said that these will include full postcode search, which is already present on the devices running SmartST 2006.
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
New software should be available some time in December. the word say's that it will have full postcode.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
James17
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this be free of charge to exisiting customers? Probably a stupid question.... Hello Tom Tom, Navman seem to be miles behind their competitors.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, just as the latest TomTom maps aren't free to existing users.
James17
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point.
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a chat with the tech guys at Navman and they've confirmed that there will indeed be new maps, but there won't be a new app, which means that there won't be full postcode searching. Not too fussed, as long as the maps are accurate.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gambitgander wrote:
I've had a chat with the tech guys at Navman and they've confirmed that there will indeed be new maps, but there won't be a new app, which means that there won't be full postcode searching. Not too fussed, as long as the maps are accurate.

Do you know that there won't be full postcode data? Could it not be supplied with the new maps in .dat format?
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, not sure what that means. All I know is that they are providing the new map data from TA, but they won't provide a new app, which means that there won't be full postcodes. The TA data no doubt has the full postcode data resident, but the existing app won't be able to access it
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to believe they would be prepared to pay TA fro new map license fees, then not spend the few days programming the app to make it work.
Lets wait and see, but if that is the case then I think we should all write off Navman as a serious contender for future business. That said, I believe that upgrading software is a poor option, and selling the old unit and buying a new one is the way to go, so maybe lack of manufacturer support for 6 month old products is not such a big issue - Caveat Emptor
James17
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Navman ICN 510 software Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the new software is available yet? for the ICN 510?

I'm running an Ipaq with Tom Tom software and its driving me mad, keeps crashing! (the software that is!)

I want to go back to my Navman - a great little unit - just the mapping software and postcode search is poor hence I want the new upgraded software.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure when it arrives the software will be an improvement, but I would caution you to think that it will be a revolutionary change to the software. It is much more likely to be a series of small improvements.

If you have a chance, have a look at the latest 530 software, as it is likely to be close what you will get, and is now already 6 moths old. My advise in a nutshell, ebay the 510 and get something else. Are the other manufactures better than Navman? I honestly don't know but would probably go TT or Garmin myself. Garmin have a very long track record. TT have great products, but not without flaws, however, don't use your experiance of TT on the PPC to judge TT - it is likely the crashing is not their fault.
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I have had an iCN 510 for nearly 2 years. I have updated it with the service packs and the software upgrade; I will also do it again if this so called software upgrade ever gets launched. The last 12 months I covered 80,000 miles with it when in work and numerous trips to France for holidays.
I think I know how it works pretty well; it has it’s quirks but I would not change it for a TT at this moment in time.
It’s like I have been down this road before. Anyone remember Betamax. Navman like Sony, excellent product, marketing, they need to take a leaf out of Panasonic’s history books. Long live VHS or should I say TT.
By the way I still have my Sony F1, the picture still knocks spots of a VHS recording.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
Godfather40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New Navman 500 serise maps are now available at a cost of £99 according to their web site, it doesn't however meantion any upgrade to the software to allow full postcode searches so I assume its still SmartST2005. Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: