Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Redlight POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Redlight POIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amicus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Redlight POIs Reply with quote

Just a query. On my drive to and from my current work site I cross a junction called Parley Cross, north of Bournemouth, Dorset, N50.781 x W1.881.
According to the PocketGPSWorld database this junction has “Red Light” cameras installed, (I’ve not looked to see).
My query, why has the database three POIs for the one junction, east, north and south? As one approaches the junction all three come in to warning range setting off a cacophony of bing-bongs, deeply unpleasant at 07 hundred hours in the dark and rain. Crying or Very sad
Would one POI centred on the junction not suffice?
I’m happy to edit the file but I am wondering if there is a reason for the three.
cheersandgone
amicus
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are three cameras, there will be three warnings. Similarly, if a camera is reversible, it will (should) have two.
Amicus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeahbut all three cameras are within feet of each other, will not one POI suffice?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amicus wrote:
yeahbut all three cameras are within feet of each other, will not one POI suffice?

The idea behind it is to set your warnings to warn only when on route. That way, you only get the bingbongs for the camera you're approaching, not the other ones. I have a feeling the end result may vary between satnav systems and some folk get one warning, others get all three.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have to remember is the limitations of the various satnav programs, and the maps they use. With some systems it is the stretch of road which is significant, and the camera must be positioned so that a warning is given when it should be. I believe that in the past, this has even involved deliberately 'mis-placing' a camera by a few feet, just to ensure that warnings are given when appropriate.

Something else to consider is that many systems treat each carriageway of a dual carriageway as individual one way streets, and that some filter lanes are also treated as a separate road, so for example, if a red light camera were placed in its true position, a vehicle using the filter lane (possibly not even covered by the traffic lights) would be warned, but any traffic on the main road may not be.

Now while I agree that any duplicates should be removed whenever possible, I accept that what may be a duplicate for my system, may be essential for someone elses, and am therefore prepared to 'put up' with it.
Amicus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoKa, guess I’ll just edit the junction in question and put up with the racket when I’m “roaming afield”
Thanks guys

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: