Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio C210/C510/C710 Wish List?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio C210/C510/C710 Wish List?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FuzzyDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Mio C210/C510/C710 Wish List? Reply with quote

Hi All Smile Does anyone know if Mio (or iGo) have a web site or e-mail address for submitting a "wishlist" for ideas on how to improve the software on our units?

I'm not specifically thinking about bugs (and how we've all suffered with those Crying or Very sad) but more in the way features/options that would be in the "nice to have" category...

I'm sure there are lots of others out there who have used their units for a while now and find certain features frustrating (or not practical) and will have come up with a better way of doing it... Personally, after many, many hours on the road with my C510, there are some things that are missing that I think should be included (it's a long list so I won't bore you here)

Idea If we haven't got a contact for these ideas, what do people think about a "sticky" topic where everyone could throw their ideas in the melting-pot? There might be just a chance that Mio 8O or iGo 8) developers may be watching or ramblings and will take up our cause Smile

If there is already another topic on this subject specifically for our units, a link would be appreciated Smile

Thanks in advance

Proud owner of:
Mio C620t (the new baby) and a Mio C510e
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Mio C210/C510/C710 Wish List? Reply with quote

That's a nice thought. I can think of several things, but the top of my wish list is for Mitac to actually respond to requests. They have an email address for support, but it seems to have an input filter that goes something like this:

Is this a hardware-related question?
If YES then GO TO service dept
If NO then GO TO rubbish bin

But if you want to start a wish list, I would gladly add my 2p worth

Sal
john88
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IGo are steaming ahead with development. You can see some info on iGo2006SE at http://www.ce4you.cz/forums/view_topic.asp?t=19346 and there is mention of even bigger changes to come in iGo2007.
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a very good thought

trouble is not only with companies not responding but the boundaries are blurred:
hardware
software (is software written by hardware manufacturer or third party)
mapping
combination of the above

how easy is it to know where your wish falls especially when software and mapping are so closely linked but almost certainly involve at least 2 companies

perhaps we could start with the wish list then approach manufacturer(s) as a forum not individual users and perhaps they might take more notice

by the way FuzzyDuck the username was taken from a rock n roll musical Return to the Forbidden Planet: http://www.rttfp.com/show.php
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we should try to

a) keep this a hard hat free zone
b) remember that although no idea is a bad idea we ought to keep our wishes to feasible and achievable ideas

however i can't resist:

Dear Santa,

I would like a satellite navigation system that will drive the car while I sleep at the wheel.

Please give me the model that gets me from A to B at the same speed as your sleigh and avoiding all other traffic.

If this won't fit down my chimney I'll be happy with a lovely pair of legs in my Christmas stockings.

Yours hopefully,

A big kid with expensive toys Laughing Thumbs Up

well they say that if you don't ask you don't get
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john88 wrote:
IGo are steaming ahead with development. You can see some info on iGo2006SE at http://www.ce4you.cz/forums/view_topic.asp?t=19346 and there is mention of even bigger changes to come in iGo2007.

John, that you for that link! There are some great ideas there.

Sal
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes a lot of good ideas on there

how about voice recognition for some commands like re-routing that are possibly used en route

having a touch screen is great but is difficult enough to use when stopped let alone at arm's length travelling at xxMPH down the motorway or country lane
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anybody (sal?) know what hacks are already available?

female voice etc

could it be a better approach to move forward with a list of wishes and possibly a means of providing a potential source

could we use FuzzyDuck's idea as a prod to compile things which are already available or something along those lines as a starting point
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused - can someone clear the fog please?

http://my.pdamill.com/igo/igo_image_20061117.zip

This link has a zip file which looks like it will update the mio to a new software version - should I do this?

Has anyone done this?

what happens if you do?
rondun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ernest - its an igo beta version - nothing to do with mio
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ernest_mio wrote:

Has anyone done this?
what happens if you do?

It looks VERY similar to the Mio. I tried to get it working by replacing individual files but without success. Perhaps if someone has a little more time and can persevere with it...

Sal
FuzzyDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll start the ball rolling with my Wishlist. There seems to be many of these scattered over the web (mainly for the iGo software for PDAs) but as there is no one central place to send suggestions to, here's a good a place as any.

FuzzyDuck's Mio/iGo Wish List (based on my Mio C510 running v3.2)

Mute On the C210, there is a mute button on-screen, on the C510 this has been replaced by the Bluetooth button. Its useful to have onscreen when taking phone calls, chatting, etc.

Silence Speed Camera Alert If alerted to an "Average" Speed Camera, you can silence the alarm by touching the camera symbol. But this doesn't work for any other type of camera. It would be great to have this when you can see that the camera alert is false, or you have been alerted and you just want to acknowledge the warning.

Avoids The avoid facility is ok for a route with lots of road changes -- in itinerary, click the road, choose avoid road etc. But on a long motorway journey (e.g. 200+ miles on the M6) the M6 is shown as a complete section. You can't choose to avoid a couple of junctions further down the motorway. Maybe the longer stretches should be broken down by junction. E.g. if I travel M6 Southbound from Jct 29 to Jct 24, rather than:

M6 xxx miles

the ITINERY DETAIL view could show:

M6 [29]to[28] xxx miles
M6 [28]to[27] xxx miles
M6 [27]to[26] xxx miles
M6 [26]to[25] xxx miles
M6 [25]to[24] xxx miles

So when I hear a traffic announcment (or know of an existing problem on the route) I could touch "M6 [27]to[26] xxx miles" and choose "Avoid" just for that part

"Sticky" Avoids On other satnav units, an "area" can be defined and marked as "avoid". Why can't you use the map and click and drag an area and choose "Avoid" then store it against a name (rather like a POI) You could tag it as "Always Avoid" or "Ask". "Always Avoid" would be useful for a road that you know is difficult e.g restricted width, steep hills or nasty speed bumps! An "Ask" on the other hand would pop-up a question saying "Avoid M66?" if a route is calculated that passes through/uses this area.

Bypass If I choose the "Bypass" option, I get the option of how far along my route the unit should bypass (avoid). The problem is that it
always starts from my current location. Even my old Blaupunkt CD based sat nav system is more flexible than that. I can choose the distance to bypass and a start point. All we need is a second prompt, with a "Bypass xxx miles starting from:" with the options like:

Current Location
1 mile
2 miles
5 miles
10 miles
Choose

"Choose" being a prompt to perhaps take you to the DETAIL route list:

M6 [29]to[28] xxx miles
M6 [28]to[27] xxx miles
M6 [27]to[26] xxx miles
M6 [26]to[25] xxx miles

Again, if I hear "tailback of 5 miles from jct 27 to 25" on the radio, I can quickly bypass that section

Clear Avoid/Bypass If I've chosen an avoid or bypass option, there should be an (easier) way to clear the bypass/avoid that has been set and to recalc the route

Save Routes The Mio works wonderfully in allowing you to input via points, manipulate them in the Edit screen using reorder and optimise, but there is no way to save the route! A route is (after all) just a set of via points in order... For those of us who have defined routes with specific points to call in to, being able to save a named route would be great! At the moment, I define the "Route to" then have to add 10 or so via points each time.

Motorway Juntion Info Again, a feature I miss from my Blaupunkt. When travelling along the M6 motorway, the banner at the bottom of the Mio screen just shows "M6". My old unit used to change this to show the Junction number/road intersection you were passing. So as I approach Jct 29, the screen shows "M6", changes to "M6 J29 M6/M65" and then goes back to "M6". This is useful on long journeys -- especially since the maps don't show junction numbers!

Speed Cameras On Route This is a bit of a bugbear of mine! If am following a route e.g. M40 Southbound, I don't want to be alerted to cameras that are on side roads, on roundabouts above or below the motorway, only those on my route. I understand how challenging this may be to program, but flying down the M40 at midnight only to be screamed at by a TRAFFIC LIGHT speedcam alert as I pass under a roundabout on a junction is a little disconcerting to say the least!

Roundabout Icons I much prefer the compass rose type roundabout icons that show you the exit/direction on the icon. I know that the map shows you, but the icon is shown well in advance of the map and just showing a "3" doesn't help approaching a 7 exit roundabout and choosing a lane! (Icon Example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B000I0XBEY/ref=dp_image_0/026-5106097-2558842?ie=UTF8&n=560798&s=electronics)

Repeat Last Instruction Another Blaupunkt one... Occasionally, I've missed what my unit has said - escpecially in noisy towns. A "repeat last instruction" option would be good. Note: I was sure that on my original C210 that in the manual there was something about this feature, but I can't find it at all on my C510

I'm sure I have a heap more, but I've gotta go do some "real" work Wink

PS klystron_generator - Thanks for the explanation of the name :D it's not that geeky after all Wink

Proud owner of:
Mio C620t (the new baby) and a Mio C510e
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for getting the ball rolling...i was beginning to think we'd lost GPS signal or something on this thread

what about favourite route(s) in addition to favourite destinations

i have to put in via points for my journey on certain journeys to take me my preferred way...having said that though and thinking i knew better the Mio takes me to work along a route that i'd never thought of for the last couple of miles and this misses out all the traffic lights and roundabouts and despite being minor roads it's definitely than the dual carriageway i'd use instinctively

i agree with FuzzyDuck about distances between motorway junctions but at least v3.2 displays the exit number and distance to that exit when you're leaving the motorway under normal circumstances...it's all too easy to get transfixed in auto pilot on motorway journeys

i also agree with FuzzyDuck about mute/volume so what about external volume control(s) possibly something on the side like a lot of mobile phones have

i suppose i contradicted myself by saying keep to feasible suggestions in one post then wishing for voice recognition but being 6'4" with big hands i'm damned if i can touch the right point on the screen at a dead halt never mind on the move

oh well i don't suppose Santa will read my posting either but wouldn't that system be nice Laughing

i use my Mio in 'it does what it says on the box' mode (but upgraded to v3.2) so forgive my ignorance of the threads with hacks and the like already available
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just done 1800+ miles in Europe I would like an option to automatically add motorway service areas as via points.
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops sorry for repeating you FuzzyDuck but i missed your saving routes suggestion until after i'd posted my message and re-read your post

at least as TOGs we're on the same frequency but what's this about doing "real" work before Terry has finished? consider your TOG status stripped :P

Avoids could possibly also be made easier by having them higher up the menu instead of several clicks

maybe the menu structure could be changed in others too so there's a Drive Mode as well as a Safe Mode so that the menu is more user friendly on the move...you tend to need features other than screen settings when driving

perhaps i could look into setting up a very basic web page for this and collate ideas if you think that's a good idea

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: