Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - To upgrade or not to upgrade - that is the question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

To upgrade or not to upgrade - that is the question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jguiver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: To upgrade or not to upgrade - that is the question Reply with quote

I run TTN5 on a Mio168 with maps version 632 for UK, Iberia & France (which I bought a year ago) on a 1Gb SD card.

I'm tempted by the discounted upgrade to TTN6 & a map of Western Europe, but wonder if it's worth it.

Apart from a few bells & whistles, what will the benefits be?

TT Home - any good?
The new map will fill up my SD card
I only use the use the France & Iberia maps on holiday & for research, & the UK map seems to get me to where I want to go.

So I'm thinking that what I have is adequate, and if it's not broken, don't fix it for £60.

Any views from you TTN6 guinea pigs out there?

In the real world, is it a quantum leap forward, or just minor enhancements?
Are the maps that much better?

Your experiences would be appreciated.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mio168 has a 288MHz processor where the minimum recommended for TTN6 is 350MHz. It will probably run but will be very s-l-o-w updating maps.
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you I wasn't going to bother but I'm a sucker for latest and greatest.

I am only after UK and Ireland maps so it only cost 33 UKP which is not too bad really.

Upgrade process was quite painless. I had read about the favourites being lost so I converted all mine to POIs so they were saved. Postcodes seem fine too, I have the latest version and they appear to work.

As for the processor speed, well I have an Ipaq Hx2410 which is only 270mhz. While I've not used TT6 in all its glory on the road yet I did an advanced planner from Lands End to John O'Groats and it took 24 seconds !! Quite acceptable to me so glad I took the plunge.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your happy with TTN5 then positively do not upgrade, It does run slower, TTN6 sometimes worries me that it might not catch up before the next turn, The routing does not seem to be as good as TTN5, I have not found that the maps are any better than TTN5 but this may depend on the area that you cover, The exceeding speed limit function is useless where road speed are available(it turns display to red and cannot be seen in daylight), You will have to upgrade to win2003se to enjoy Landscape mode, The contacts routing has simply been moved from the ms database to within TTN6 (not added), the only benefit is increased POIs numbers(100) if you need them,
This information applies to Mio168 and I upgraded to 2gb sd card at same time whether this affects or not the choice is yours, personally I do not feel worthwhile,
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
The Mio168 has a 288MHz processor where the minimum recommended for TTN6 is 350MHz. It will probably run but will be very s-l-o-w updating maps.

I have actually seen TT6 running on a Mio 168, although just a brief look, if anything, I would say that it appeared to be very similar to TT5, certainly not slower (possibly faster).

So my first impressions were that The MIO 168 is more than capable of running the latest version. But so far as the application is concerned, I was amazed at just how similar it was to v5.21, to call it v6 rather than say v5.5 seems to be pushing it a bit.

Having said that, the maps are more up-to-date and the M62/A1M changes near Ferrybridge in Yorkshire appear to have been included, so unless ALK get their finger out and get CoPilot significantly sorted quickly, I could see me changing applications quite soon.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your information Lost_Property the MIO 168 is a 300Mz Processor and is on Tomtoms compatability list.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, you are missing the point slightly. You can run the latest maps with your existing TomTom Navigator 5. That way you get the best of both worlds. A decent UI (TomTom 5) and newer maps (v6.60)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil with all due respect it is very hard to compare maps, the 632 map version was a vast improvement over the 5 series with a lot of updates added, my comparison is with version 632 on TTN5 and version 650 0n TTN6
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Neil with all due respect it is very hard to compare maps, the 632 map version was a vast improvement over the 5 series with a lot of updates added, my comparison is with version 632 on TTN5 and version 650 0n TTN6

I wasn't attempting to do a thorough comparison of the maps (or the application for that matter) - merely making an aside comment that a significant change affecting one of the countries most important roads looks as if it has finally been included. This particular stretch of road being a regular gripe in the forums - as to whether it accurately reflect the change - that is another matter - I simply can't comment yet, nor was I attempting to.

The jist of my comment was that from what I have seen, the MIO 168 appeared to be perfectly capable of running the new app, I certainly saw nothing of the problems you mention. However, having had significant experience with several MIO168's, I have come to the conclusion that the choice of SD card has a significant (I would even go so far as to say major) effect on the PPC's performance. In my case, the change to a Corsair 133x 1GB SD card, has transformed it.
Trev1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Guys, you are missing the point slightly. You can run the latest maps with your existing TomTom Navigator 5. That way you get the best of both worlds. A decent UI (TomTom 5) and newer maps (v6.60)

Ibendlin
If I understand the offer from TomTom new map download service whilst existing Nav 5 users can now upgrade to the latest maps this comes with the latest software for nav6 - so in other words you have to upgrade to 6, you cannot run the maps on Nav 5 or am i missing the point. Also you can only download using Tom Tom home which is not compatible with Nav5.
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz, apologies if I come across like a complete idiot, but have newer maps now been released that work with TT5? I run a Palm LifeDrive and have been holding off the potential upgrade to TT6 as this rumour of new maps has been filtering down from TT Towers. I was under the impression that the v6 maps were incompatible with v5. If I am wrong (and I will be delighted if I am) where do I get the new maps? Do I need TT Home to get them?

Thanks in advance.
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And additional apologies for posting Trev's exact questions simultaneous to him! Both posts timed at 6.38pm - D'oh!
jguiver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

The little voice in my head still whispers 'Upgrade, Upgrade. Go on, you know you want to. And it's Xmas - better than socks'

Everything works, and as the maps don't seem to be vastly different, I think I might give it a miss. If I should find myself on a 'new' road, it will reroute me, so I'll still get there!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weelogic wrote:
Lutz, apologies if I come across like a complete idiot, but have newer maps now been released that work with TT5? I run a Palm LifeDrive and have been holding off the potential upgrade to TT6 as this rumour of new maps has been filtering down from TT Towers. I was under the impression that the v6 maps were incompatible with v5. If I am wrong (and I will be delighted if I am) where do I get the new maps? Do I need TT Home to get them?

Thanks in advance.

Please read this. The maps for 5 and 6 may or may not be the same but installation is different in that the ones for 6 require HOME to install (or a lot of messing around) and they may not be compatible with 5 even after that messing around. Something to try later.
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,

Thanks for that - I hadn't seen the thread elsewhere on this site. For anyone who is interested, I have downloaded the latest UK map (by selecting "other device" so as to avoid getting a potentially incompatible update to TT6) and it works just dandy with TT5 on my Palm Lifedrive. The new maps have the one major road update that I was looking for, although the system does appear to run very slightly slower. I haven't done a proper road test yet though, so don't quote me on that!

Thanks again for the heads up, and eventual thanks to Tomtom!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: