Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Replicating crashes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Replicating crashes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Replicating crashes Reply with quote

I've managed to replicate the following "fatal exception" error reboot on a number of occasions when using Miomap 3.2:

1) Entering a route.

2) Selecting POI and changing the reference to "address"; entering a town name and selecting "city centre" as the reference point; selecting "All" to display a selected POI group or groups; then attempting to refine the selection by selecting "search". The system will (sometimes) crash with a "fatal exception" and reboot.

There also seems to be an annoying problem with selecting contacts from the Bluetooth menu. Selecting, through one touch of the screen, a contact from the list of contacts doesn't provide the option to telephone the contact. Rather it takes you immediately to the detailed contact display screen for that contact without the option to telephone the contact. You then have to move back to the list of contacts where that contact is now highlighted.

Since upgrading to Miomap 3.2 I haven't been able to check location specific crashing - there were a number of locations that, every time, caused 3.1 to crash but I haven't been out much since upgrading to 3.2 (sad life ;-).

Also 3.2 seems to have been updated (last time I checked the latest version was dated 24 November 2006).

Still no news on a firmware update to bring the C510/C710 up to date with the latest production units either.
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
Since upgrading to Miomap 3.2 I haven't been able to check location specific crashing - there were a number of locations that, every time, caused 3.1 to crash but I haven't been out much since upgrading to 3.2 (sad life ;-).

Also 3.2 seems to have been updated (last time I checked the latest version was dated 24 November 2006).

you need to get out more to play with your toy Wink

i've looked on the Mio web site and the latest 3.2 updates are dated October...everything is working fine so i'm hesitant to try the updater just for the sake of it but does anybody else have a later version Question

i think Mo also need to iron out problems with the updater before they even consider the possibility of a firmware update Exclamation

if a firmware update fails midway that's your unit ****ed Sad
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klystron_generator wrote:
Retty wrote:

you need to get out more to play with your toy Wink

i've looked on the Mio web site and the latest 3.2 updates are dated October...everything is working fine so i'm hesitant to try the updater just for the sake of it but does anybody else have a later version Question

i think Mo also need to iron out problems with the updater before they even consider the possibility of a firmware update Exclamation

if a firmware update fails midway that's your unit ****ed Sad

Yes, absolutely - which is probably why they haven't released the firmware update which it seems would require booting of the relevant files from an SD card. The old rule was if it ain't broke don't fix it. Companies like Asus would (and still do) actively encourage users not flash their motherboard ROM unless that particular user was experiencing a problem. Still, if you look at Sony's attitude to the PSP (one forced firmware update after the other if you want to play new games) and you wonder if the old view has any sense at all.

But the latest version of 3.2 is not dated October - it's dated 24 November. I have it. It seems to work well and it may even be more stable than 3.1 although I need to use it more to be sure.

The voice instructions are certainly *much* better than 3.1 in terms of how they integrate with what the map is saying - turn "sligtly" left is gone, roundabout instructions are much improved and in general the voice instructions seem to make logical sense. The logic seems to be looking ahead to more than the next turn and seems to recognise correctly that a bend in the road is probably not a "turn" (but a sharp bend) if the road name doesn't change. The instruction is now to to "bear" left or right.

I haven't been able to check the geographical locations that caused v 3.1 to completely lock up the unit every time (possibly a firmware bug?) Maybe someone could check the intersection of Sidmouth Road and Honiton Road in Exeter (sad I know).

The TMC processing is also improved - more detailed information although the old less detailed information also exists (I've mentioned this in another post). C710 and TMC is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

I took the C710 on a 300 mile or so journey yesterday and today. I had a fatal exception error this morning upon turning the unit on and entering a route or searching for a POI - I can't remeber which; maybe both. It told me there had been a fatal error and it would need to restart which it did. Other than that no real problem and, so far, no hanging crash in a 300 mile journey that used TMC rerouting, involved me disobeying the route frequently thus forcing numerous recalculations and the use of pedestrian mode.

The fatal exception error is a pain though and it really shouldn't happen. An unit dedicated application shouldn't take out Windows. I can also replicate the POI fatal exception crash described above (but not every time).

There are also some niggles with bluetooth which only a firmware update will fix - the inability to phone a contact from the contact list is crap for example and I bet it's a bug. It looks as though the prog is waiting for a single touch but registers the single touch as 2 touches - there's a slight pause afer the first touch which tantalisingly looks as though it's about to offer the option to call a contact.

But yes, for me so far, 3.2 seems to be working quite well. The update process is still flawed and you need to copy the gb 7pp file across manually using the hacked miosynch.

I'm not going to ditch the paperclip just yet though although having said that, last week with 3.1, I had to use a passenger's ear ring to reset the unit!
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the benefit of Mac OS and operating systems other then Windows...individual applications may crash from time to time but they don't crash the entire operating system Smile

sadly Microsoft haven't caught on to this idea yet Sad

one of the biggest problems with Windows is that it lets everything interfere with the OS...just take a look at your registry

you're right though...an integral application shouldn't crash the unit - i'd contact Mio and/or the point of purchase in case your unit itself is faulty Confused

my unit is used 'as is' with the 3.2 update becuase of the ain't broke don't fix philosophy and i wouldn't dare try doctoring the voices or other files cos i'd rather have the unit guide me than spend time troubleshooting :D
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klystron_generator wrote:
that's the benefit of Mac OS and operating systems other then Windows...individual applications may crash from time to time but they don't crash the entire operating system Smile

sadly Microsoft haven't caught on to this idea yet Sad

one of the biggest problems with Windows is that it lets everything interfere with the OS...just take a look at your registry

you're right though...an integral application shouldn't crash the unit - i'd contact Mio and/or the point of purchase in case your unit itself is faulty Confused

my unit is used 'as is' with the 3.2 update becuase of the ain't broke don't fix philosophy and i wouldn't dare try doctoring the voices or other files cos i'd rather have the unit guide me than spend time troubleshooting :D

Thanks. Yes, it could be a problem with the unit - it could be faulty memory for example. Interestingly I got a reply from Mio suggesting that there may be a fault with the unit. I'm not convinced though - surely a hardware fault would show up more often?

Still, as if to clinch the argument that Windows really isn't that safe IE has just gone belly up necessitating a futile attempt at the three fingered salute restart followed by manual pushing of the reset button ;-)

I wouldn't mess with the voices or other config files either. It isn't worth the potential hassle.
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
I'm not convinced though - surely a hardware fault would show up more often?

i wouldn't bet on it Exclamation

a computer can run for days and days and days and just when you think it's fixed... Twisted Evil

hardware or software faults can both be unpredictable so if Mio are saying you've possibly got a faulty unit i'd take this opportunity to do something about it before it's too late cos then you might be stuck with a faulty unit...like it or not Confused

your call but i know exactly what i'd do while i still could 8)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: