Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unable to get a fix - Wrong date in RMC - Haicom 305
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to get a fix - Wrong date in RMC - Haicom 305

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tribit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Unable to get a fix - Wrong date in RMC - Haicom 305 Reply with quote

Hi
I've got a Haicom HI-305III with the SirfStarIII chipset.
Until recently, it hasn't been a problem, until I left it off my PDA for some time, then when I came to use it, I couldnt get a fix.
Using Winfast Navigator, it would show a number of satellites in red but no signal, then occasionally a different satellite would appear, locked in blue for several minutes then disappear. I've left on in clear view of the sky for a couple of hours but to no avail.
The NMEA RMC output shows the correct time, but wrong date by two weeks as shown below. I've tried cold starting & factory resetting but still no succcess.
Any tips would be welcome.

$GPRMC,142531.373,V,,,,,,,041106,,,N*48

Many THanks
Tribit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Haicom Now Fixed - Shorted Out The Battery Reply with quote

Reading other posts regarding different makes, a lot seem to temporarily short out the internal battery, restoring the device to a "virgin state". I carefully took the Haicom apart (it's out of warranty) and shorted out the backup battery, plugged it back into the pda, and within a short time it had found several satellites, showed correct time and date, and is now working perfectly.
Why don't the utils which are supposed to restore the receiver to a factory state actually do that, or is it so screwed up that only by a proper reset (ie remove all settings) the only answer ?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using Windfast did you remember to untick the two boxes in the Factory re-set area. (Can't remember what they are called at the moment and can't check).
Tribit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Winfast Reply with quote

Many thanks for the post. To be honest, I can't remember now but I also used Sirfdemo and nothing seemed to work. Because it was over a period of days, the only consistent thing was the wrong date, always a fortnight previous.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your Winfast to see if you have the latest version with the Save facility. There is an extra 5th icon, 'a floppy disc', which allows you to run Winfast and save the $trings to your Device or SD Card.

Cut and paste the file to your Desktop and using Notepad you'll be able to see exactly what's going on.

http://www.leadtek.nl/nts/uk/index.php?pageid=2&dl_id=146 it shows as v.1.1 but is actually v1.2.

RMC is the only $tring showing the date but there is another $GPZDA,150907.000,25,09,2006,,*56 which I found by setting the middle User to 1.

I originally set all Users to 1 and then by a process of elimination found which User produced the extra $tring.

It may be worth trying this to see if the dates differ in the two RMC and ZDA $trings.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm suprised it's not got a fix after two hours - did you have clear sky view?

If you don't use it for some weeks then when it get's switched back on it needs to do a full initialise to get's its position - this can take 15mins (or more) if you have poor sky coverage or bad satellite geometry. The date you are getting is probably the last time you had a position fix. Which would indicate that the battery in the unit is probably OK.

I've just tried my 305III in my DELL AXIM. It hasn't been used for 5 weeks and it took less than 5 mins to get a 2D lock. It's my least preferred GPS unit of the 4 I own and it doesn't get used very often. I prefer my SiRF III BT device for convenience.

I didn't change any of the settings on the 305III - I just took it out of the box when I bought it and plugged it in and away it went and it has worked with 2 PDAs and 3 topo/nav products since.
Tribit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read my second posting, after having shorted out the battery, it picked up several satellites, had the correct time and date in the RMC string, and was usable within a very short time span.
Before, it wouldn't even recognise the satellites, I suppose because of the wrong date interpretation.
Fortunately I live in the country where a clear view of the sky from horizon to horizon is no problem, but I many thanks for replying.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: