Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Efficiency of Mio c710 TMC FM Antenna
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Efficiency of Mio c710 TMC FM Antenna
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Sorry I should have posted earlier, the home made lead is infact an extension lead as long or short as you like, it plugs between the existing aerial cable and the car radio.
In addition to the above you solder another single core flex to the centre pin of one of the connectors in the home made part and connect that to the aerial wire of the RDS-TMC unit.
It forms a Y splitter, if your vehicle uses a power fed aerial (some do) then a small capacitor can be soldered in between the car feed and the MIO to block any voltage, what car is it? then we might be able to advise if the capacitor is really necessary - Mike
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Dave, Sorry I should have posted earlier, the home made lead is infact an extension lead as long or short as you like, it plugs between the existing aerial cable and the car radio.
In addition to the above you solder another single core flex to the centre pin of one of the connectors in the home made part and connect that to the aerial wire of the RDS-TMC unit.
It forms a Y splitter, if your vehicle uses a power fed aerial (some do) then a small capacitor can be soldered in between the car feed and the MIO to block any voltage, what car is it? then we might be able to advise if the capacitor is really necessary - Mike

Thanks Mike, this sound a bit more clear
I dont think that my car uses a power fed aerial as its an old L reg Audi Coupe. I would like to know how I should connect a capacitor for furture reference as I will not have this car for much longer.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You simply connect the capacitor in series with the wire going to the MIO, this means cut the wire between the splitter and MIO and solder one half of the cable to the cap, then the other half of the cable goes to the other leg of the cap something like This will do for the cap, once its soldered up insulate the bare wires with tape so nothing can short out - Mike
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed the bit about "solder a single piece of wire....." above So you have the straight through co-ax connection to keep the radio going and the single wire which goes to the Mio. Be careful - some car radios supply power on the co-ax.
jonasolof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have some more info on the c710 and the c520t TMC connections in this gpspassion thread:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=87545

It is slightly astonishing that a 3 pole plug works to provide cabled TMC to the four pole jack of the c520t. I believe that GNS made double entries, one for a high impedance half lambda wire antenna and another entry for a coaxial cable. The three pole plug grounds the high impedance entry.

As you can see from todays post, all 2,5 mm plugs are wired the same way according to the company's spokeswoman.

I now added an inline FM aplifier (works also in the AM band) and now have perfect TMC reception at 70-100 km away from the transmittor. There is an instant fix on the first scan round.

For the c710, what works is good and GNS might very well have designed it for a coaxial connection as well, although this is not officially endorsed by Mio. Note that GNS provided their Y-adaptor with a capacitor for the coax center lead, but not for the shield. Be sure to measure if there is any voltage between the coax shield and the point your groundng the cable to (while the unit is powered on).

Unfortunately, I can't tell which GNS adaptor cable works with the c710. OTOH, it's much easier to solder to a 3,5 mm plug than a 2,5 mm plug. I think there is a reference to GNS for the c710 on the french side of gpspassion

I don't have any ground loop problems in the c520t. But I noticed that the 12 volt charger for a Sony-E m600i phone creates FM interference. (although the interference created by a non EMS certified chinese charger for an electric scooter ten meters away was much worse...)
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using my C710 in pedestrian mode in Amsterdam last weekend - picked up TMC fine with, fairly obviously, nothing plugged in. It is all down to crap signal in the UK.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSBear wrote:
I was using my C710 in pedestrian mode in Amsterdam last weekend - picked up TMC fine with, fairly obviously, nothing plugged in. It is all down to crap signal in the UK.

Yes, frustrating isn't it.

I always manage to pick up a full signal in cities in the Netherlands without the shoe string. The quality of the TMC information isn't really up to much though - narrowed lanes and road closures and little (if anything) in the way of free traffic congestion information.

I did manage on a few occasions to pick up Trafficmaster broadcasts without the shoe string in/around Bristol before the November update.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: