Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Efficiency of Mio c710 TMC FM Antenna
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Efficiency of Mio c710 TMC FM Antenna
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnRicketts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
JohnRicketts wrote:

Having just hooked up to my fm car arial via a splitter, I'm not sure I understand this comment. If I'm right, the TMC plug is a combination TMC/headphone socket. The pin-out is (from the tip)
1 - left ear
2 - right ear
3 - TMC arial
4 - screen/0 volts

John,
I'm afraid you have got the connections wrong. Using your numbering, 3 is the common return to the earpieces and 4 is the aerial. That makes it easier to solder because you are soldering to a large tag instead of a tiny pin. Also there is room to hold the tag with pliers to act as a heat shunt.
Have you included an isolating capacitor in the lead to the car aerial?

Sal

Is there a qualified source for this pin-out, because connecting the FM arial to pin 3 (my terminology) and the coax screen to 4 gives me bucket-loads of TMC messages. I did not de-couple mine as the rear-quarterlight arial on my Galaxy is passive. If it wasn't such a pig to solder to pin 3, I'd swap it around and see if it made any difference.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnRicketts wrote:

Is there a qualified source for this pin-out, because connecting the FM arial to pin 3 (my terminology) and the coax screen to 4 gives me bucket-loads of TMC messages. I did not de-couple mine as the rear-quarterlight arial on my Galaxy is passive. If it wasn't such a pig to solder to pin 3, I'd swap it around and see if it made any difference.

John, all you have to go is pull the end tag off the Mio supplied aerial, and meter it back to the plug contacts.

I'm not surprised that you get some signal because the plug wasn't designed for RF and there will be enough coupling between the concentric conductors to let the 100MHz signal leak across. But it will work better with a direct connection.

Sal
JohnRicketts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
JohnRicketts wrote:

John, all you have to go is pull the end tag off the Mio supplied aerial, and meter it back to the plug contacts.

I'm not surprised that you get some signal because the plug wasn't designed for RF and there will be enough coupling between the concentric conductors to let the 100MHz signal leak across. But it will work better with a direct connection.

Sal

Thanks. Did think about doing that, but did not want to mutilate my 1 day old TMC arial as I will be keeping it for fly-drive trips. Just digging out soldering iron...will swap connections and report back shortly.........
JohnRicketts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnRicketts wrote:
Sallyann wrote:
JohnRicketts wrote:

Sal

Thanks. Did think about doing that, but did not want to mutilate my 1 day old TMC arial as I will be keeping it for fly-drive trips. Just digging out soldering iron...will swap connections and report back shortly.........

OK. I just swapped the connection. It still found 10 pages of traffic messages so I guess you are right. (why would I need to know about standing traffic on the A92 which is 393 miles away??) So I wasted 3 plugs and 2 hours yesterday trying to solder onto the rings when the tab was staring me in the face!!! Doh!
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnRicketts wrote:

(why would I need to know about standing traffic on the A92 which is 393 miles away??)

I suppose the reason is that if you are planning a long journey, the unit will want to know if there are roadworks that might affect the route.

Sal
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
JohnRicketts wrote:

Having just hooked up to my fm car arial via a splitter, I'm not sure I understand this comment. If I'm right, the TMC plug is a combination TMC/headphone socket. The pin-out is (from the tip)
1 - left ear
2 - right ear
3 - TMC arial
4 - screen/0 volts

John,
I'm afraid you have got the connections wrong. Using your numbering, 3 is the common return to the earpieces and 4 is the aerial. That makes it easier to solder because you are soldering to a large tag instead of a tiny pin. Also there is room to hold the tag with pliers to act as a heat shunt.
Have you included an isolating capacitor in the lead to the car aerial?

Sal

Hi Sal,
I'm just about to buy the splitter to enhance the TMC signals to my Mio. Can I confirm that Pin 4 is the TMC arial and Pin 3 is the ground.
I hope to get to Mapplins/RS today
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'screen' tag on the plug is the aerial connection, yes.
There is no connection provided for an earth return as such, since the unit was designed for a single monopole quarter-wave as provided.
Pin 3 is the common return for the left and right audio channels.
I would personally never connect a coax screen to any point on the GPS unit that wasn't designed for it. It might very well work, but it will create an earth loop that (a) could induce ignition noise into the TMC receiver thus reducing signal quality and (b) it's possible under certain fault conditions on the car radio for a potentially damaging or dangerous current to flow through the GPS unit.
If I was using a coax splitter off the car aerial I would connect only to the centre of the coax using as short a length of single insulated wire as possible, and fit in series a blocking capacitor of about 100pF in case the car radio has DC on its aerial connector to drive an active aerial - many do these days.

Let us know how you get on.

Sal
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
The 'screen' tag on the plug is the aerial connection, yes.
There is no connection provided for an earth return as such, since the unit was designed for a single monopole quarter-wave as provided.
Pin 3 is the common return for the left and right audio channels.
I would personally never connect a coax screen to any point on the GPS unit that wasn't designed for it. It might very well work, but it will create an earth loop that (a) could induce ignition noise into the TMC receiver thus reducing signal quality and (b) it's possible under certain fault conditions on the car radio for a potentially damaging or dangerous current to flow through the GPS unit.
If I was using a coax splitter off the car aerial I would connect only to the centre of the coax using as short a length of single insulated wire as possible, and fit in series a blocking capacitor of about 100pF in case the car radio has DC on its aerial connector to drive an active aerial - many do these days.

Let us know how you get on.

Sal

Sally,
I remember you helping me with this request before but I never did get around to actually doing it. I have another question.
Where can I find the car aerial splliter. When I asked the guy in Maplin he looked at me as if I was crazy or as if I asked him for a Burger from McDonalds.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I can't help you there. As discussed previously I use a separate wire. Hopefully someone who has one will pop up and tell you.

Sal
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
Sorry, I can't help you there. As discussed previously I use a separate wire. Hopefully someone who has one will pop up and tell you.

Sal

Sally,
If you use a seperate wire, how does it connect back into the radio antenna. I'm really confused now.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aerial Socket and an Aerial Plug (assuming your car uses "normal" connectors) then simply solder a short length of coax between the plug/ socket and bring a single core wire from the centre contact to feed the RDS-TMC input - Mike
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeJay01 wrote:
Sally,
If you use a seperate wire, how does it connect back into the radio antenna. I'm really confused now.

I found that the supplied aerial wire was quite efficient when suspended from the rear view mirror, but being thick and light coloured was annoying in the field of view and also an advertisement when the car was parked. I replaced it with a similar length of very thin enamelled copper wire hung from the mirror, that is practicaly invisible both inside and outside the car.

Sal
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Aerial Socket and an Aerial Plug (assuming your car uses "normal" connectors) then simply solder a short length of coax between the plug/ socket and bring a single core wire from the centre contact to feed the RDS-TMC input - Mike

I'm a bit confused Mike
If I only have 1 areial in my car which is plugged into my CD/Radio what will I plug the aerial plug into
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unplug the cable from the radio, plug it into the new socket, plug the new plug into the radio.
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSBear wrote:
Unplug the cable from the radio, plug it into the new socket, plug the new plug into the radio.

From what I can understand, all that does is gives me an extension to what exists already.
I think I need 1 socket to go into outputs (1 being a plug and the other for the areial wire for the TMC) that way I can plug it into the radio and the MIO at the same time.

Can I confirm that this is correct.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: