Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Why you shoudn't buy a tomtom!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Why you shoudn't buy a tomtom!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Werewolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Why you shoudn't buy a tomtom! Reply with quote

Customer service is the worst!

My tomtom Rider developed a fault, tomtom collected it for repair and promised a turnaround time of 5 to 10 days.

I was told that the unit will be replaced with a new one.

Nine weeks later and after numerous phone calls and emails, I got it back. However, it wasn't replaced with a new one as they promised, it wasn't even repaired. Also the GB SD card that I was asked to send back with the unit has gone missing.

Tomtom have now had it back again and they have promised me a replacement. I'm now in the 10th week without my sat nav and counting.

As regards the missing SD card, they have offered me a 50% discount of a Euro SD card as compensation!

Take my advice - DO NOT BUY TOMTOM PRODUCTS!
gpsn3wbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

although your situation is unfortunate and i hope you get it sorted out i disagree that it is a reason for everyone not to purchase TomTom products.

had you considered approaching the place you bought it from for a replacement before sending it to Holland?
Werewolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would have just sent it on my behalf.

Now this;

Just had a phone call from tomtom saying the item is out of warranty even though it is only six months old.

They accused me of opening the unit which has invalidated the warranty and would I like the unit back to see the tool marks?

I suggested they stick the unit where there ain't no signal!

The only way it has been opened is by their repair people in Fife, Scotland.

I am losing my rag with them.

Never ever buy tomtom products, these guys are just unbelievable!
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had nothing but first class service from Tomtom, s'pose it's the luck of the draw.

To old to die young.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Why you shoudn't buy a tomtom! Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Customer service is the worst!

My tomtom Rider developed a fault, tomtom collected it for repair and promised a turnaround time of 5 to 10 days.

Why weren't you dealing with the people who sold you the GPS in the first place ? In UK law your contract is always with the retailer not the manufacturer.

Without knowing all the details of your situation Tom Tom may have, in fact, been doing you a favour as they were probably under no legal obligation to sort out the fault.
Werewolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why weren't you dealing with the people who sold you the GPS in the first place ?

No disrespect to Halfords, but it would have taken even longer! The words organ grinder and monkey spring to mind.

Halfords would have just been in the middle and would have ended up being messengers.

I would have eventually got fed up of waiting and contacted tomtom support direct anyway.

Still, they have eventually promised me a new unit, cradle and SD map and no adaquate compensation.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact is that by dealing with the retailer it means that they have a legal obligation to resolve the situation to your satisfaction.Also if you paid by credit card the card company are also jointly liable.

In UK Consumer Law a fault that develops within 6 months of purchase is deemed to have existed at the time of purchase. Consequently you have options as to refund, repair or replacement.

By going direct to the manufacturer you have no rights whatsoever as you have no contract of sale with them.Also by accepting a repair you may have actually 'lost' certain options that may have been open to you.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.
Some time ago, I bought a laptop computer from DELL, using my credit card. A spring catch broke and it had an incorrect cable. Both came to light AFTER the thirty day warranty period they give, so they wouldn't deal with them free.
Trying my best, I told them in very clear words in writing, that I didn't want a repair (which they wanted me to pay for, having said that "plastic" wasn't covered by warranty!!), that I specifically wanted them to take it back and give me a full refund. They refused.
I contacted the credit card company for help. They eventually replied that they had been unable to get anywhere with DELL.

Now tell me again to use my credit card. Nowadays, I buy from a local place where I can go in and be very rude and threatening if anything goes wrong. I don't believe the credit card security thing has any validity!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple Google search will produce plenty of pages and examples which'll show that under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 a credit card company has something called equal liability with a supplier of goods or services.
Naturally there are certain conditions/exemptions where equal liability does not apply ie if the item/services cost less than £100 or more than £30,000.

You can obviously believe what you like but it's a fact
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can believe what YOU like, but it's a fact that neither DELL nor the credit card company gave me my money back! We're talking £3,500.
It wasn't for want of trying and I'm no dumbo in such matters (e.g. I've just won a battle with a Building Society resulting in reinstatement plus £250 compensation).

RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It maybe a fact that you weren't able to resolve the situation with either Dell or you card company to your satisfaction.That is not being disputed.
However that doesn't alter the situation that it is still a fact that equal liability between supplier and card company does exist, is part of the Consumer Credit Act and, if neccessary, the credit car provider can be pursued in the same way as the original supplier.

As I've said previously there is plenty of information out there from consumer bodies to local government websites that provided useful and helpful advice as to how to use consumer and credit law to your advantage if required.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Hmm.
Some time ago, I bought a laptop computer from DELL, using my credit card. A spring catch broke and it had an incorrect cable. Both came to light AFTER the thirty day warranty period they give, so they wouldn't deal with them free.
Trying my best, I told them in very clear words in writing, that I didn't want a repair (which they wanted me to pay for, having said that "plastic" wasn't covered by warranty!!), that I specifically wanted them to take it back and give me a full refund. They refused.
I contacted the credit card company for help. They eventually replied that they had been unable to get anywhere with DELL.

Now tell me again to use my credit card. Nowadays, I buy from a local place where I can go in and be very rude and threatening if anything goes wrong. I don't believe the credit card security thing has any validity!!

How come you only got a 30 day warranty on a laptop costing £3500? By any stretch of the imagination that is a hefty price for a laptop.

To old to die young.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humble apologies Embarassed I was confusing it with the desktop I bought at the same time. Laptop was only £2,500 and change. Thirty days was how long you get to find faults - so when the Recovery Disk failed two months later they said it had passed 30 days and I could buy a new one ... AND I'd also paid for 3 years next business day on site warranty. But NOTHING I could think of was covered by warranty!!! The locking catch wasn't covered - fair wair and tear (less than three months, but I WAS operating it twice a day).

Too long a story. I've had replacement computers since and guess what, none from DELL and always from local where I can go and be horrid if necessary.

RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears from what you've said both Dell and the credit card company were probably within their legal rights.
As unfortunate as it may be a broken catch could be regarded as wear and tear and also the recovery disk not working probably wouldn't be classified as the laptop being faulty (although it might be argued that the recovery disk was bought as part of the laptop package and it was that that was at fault)
Therefore the issues you have are with the Dell warranty and their customer service rather than that of a credit card companies equal liability legal obligations

To stretch this thread even further, another advantage with using a credit card to make payment is that if the company goes bust before supplying the goods/services you won't lose your money as the credit card company is equally liable.

It generally makes sense where ever possible to make payment by credit card as it does provide added protection, whether you buy mail order or from a local store.However I'm not advocating anyone getting caught in the credit trap. Just use them to your advantage and also try to pay off your card bill in it's entirety every time

Finally, I should probably add I don't work for a credit card company.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come off it RDS - you're telling me that opening and closing my laptop daily for less than 3 months and the catch breaking is fair wear and tear? Is a laptop not supposed to be opened and closed that often?
Quote:
In UK Consumer Law a fault that develops within 6 months of purchase is deemed to have existed at the time of purchase. Consequently you have options as to refund, repair or replacement
Your words, not mine, but I DID use them at the time.

This I can go along with :-
Quote:
To stretch this thread even further, another advantage with using a credit card to make payment is that if the company goes bust before supplying the goods/services you won't lose your money as the credit card company is equally liable.
But I'd give it as the ONLY reason for using the credit card.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: