Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New user - iPaq 1940 and TomTom bluetooth GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New user - iPaq 1940 and TomTom bluetooth GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shammy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: New user - iPaq 1940 and TomTom bluetooth GPS Reply with quote

Hi

New to this forum - have just purchased an HP iPaq 1940 with TomTom Bluetooth GPS. Several questions, hope somebody *kind* out there can help?

1. Is the car cradle supposed to act as a charger for the iPaq? I get the power warning light flashing whenever the iPaq is in the cradle and it doesn't seem to charge the battery at all.

2. Is it possible to activate TomTom Navigation when the GPS unit isn't connected up - eg when I'm at home route planning and there is no satellite signal available.

3. Is it possible to save routes ahead of time so that a whole day's route planning can be done before leaving the office?

4. How am I supposed to wire up the charger from the car lighter socket to both the GPS unit and the iPaq cradle? I've got so many leads and yet can't get the right combination to fulfil both needs! (I do have a socket doubler).

Sorry for the multiple questions - finding the lack of info in the instruction books very frustrating!

Shammy
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shammy,

Welcome to the forum. Smile

I do not have a PDA or GPS unit myself, so the only advice/comments I can give are from second-hand experience (my boyfriend has a PDA with TomTom Navigator.)

In answer to your second question, I am pretty sure that you can start up the program TomTom Navigator even when the GPS unit is not connected, but it won't be able to find where it is and will probably keep showing the message 'GPS position unreliable' or something similar.

Therefore you should be able to open the program OK and access things like the settings and POI lists, but you wouldn't be able to plan a route or do anything which would require it to find a location.

I hope this is helpful. Sorry I can't be more helpful on your other questions, but I'm sure you will get many more responses soon from people who know slightly more than me about the subject, and I wouldn't want to risk giving you the wrong advice. Wink

Bo Peep.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo Peep wrote:
Hi Shammy,

I do not have a PDA or GPS unit myself, so the only advice/comments I can give are from second-hand experience (my boyfriend has a PDA with TomTom Navigator.)

No PDA or GPS and answering questions, pure dedication! Wink I hope you asked him to buy you one for Christmas! Thumbs Up

Shammy, I haven't seen the TomTom car mount up close, or used it yet, but you can activate TomTom without the GPS, just plug your Pocket PC into the cradle and activate across the internet.

You can't save routes, but you can save destinations as favourites, TomTom will just navigate from your current position to the destination of your choice.
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hope you asked him to buy you one for Christmas!

Ha ha! Laughing Now there's an idea for a Christmas present...!

I used to be the chief navigator on holidays and long journeys, and so found myself suddenly lost (no pun intended Wink ) when I was replaced by an electronic (albeit more accurate!) woman's voice! Smile

However, when my boyfriend got his PDA I got into creating POI lists for him, and also for this website, and I do find the whole Pocket GPS site useful - not just for POIs, etc. but for brushing up on my technical understanding of GPS in general so that I can hold an intelligent conversation about it when I see him! :D

I like to give out advice as and when I can, but am always quite wary of advising on subjects I am not 100% sure of, as I wouldn't want to mislead anybody. However, I'm sure that if I ever get anything wrong (well, there's got to be a first time for everything...), one of the experts out there will be more than able to correct me! Wink

Keep up the good work. Smile

Bo Peep. Angel
Quote:

thax1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Answer to ipaq 1940 questions Reply with quote

Shammy,

I have the same setup as you.

1. Yes, the cradle for the Ipaq will charge it. If you're seeing a flashing orange light under your power button then it's charging - just like with the mains adaptor that you'll use at home.
If the light on the ipaq is flashing blue then its not - you need to re-seat the ipaq (or start the car engine, plug it it... etc!)

My ipaq cradle was initially very stiff to accept the port on the ipaq - so I took it apart to adjust it.

2. I really, really recommend the registry hack (see sticky post in TomTom forum). This will allow you to start TT without that annoying bluetooth manager window ever popping up. This works whether or not the bluetooth device is nearby. Perfect.

3. Once you've done the above - from Navigator mode, select Navigate To... Address. Let it plan the route if you want. Do this for all destinations.
These will then be selectable from "Recent Destinations", later in the day. It will need to recalculate. (you'll be in a different start location for one!)

4. You should find that the cigarette lighter adaptor has one anchored cable, and one extra, round, port. Use the cable that has round yellow tips at both ends. Either can be plugged into the ipaq adaptor and the bluetooth device.

If you wish to use the ipaq car cradle, use the cable that looks like it has a modem cable plug on one end. Plug this into the right hand side of the cradle and the other into the bluetooth device.

Note that there are two lights on the bluetooth device - the one on the right indicates charging. I say this because my connection is not so good, and sometimes needs a wiggle to ensure it keeps charging. A red light on the left means the unit battery is about to go completely flat! It usually needs turning off for half an hour whilst charging to recover from this point.

Hope this helps.

Thax.
hbanzon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thax1: I have the TomTom ipaq cradle for my 1945 and I have the same problem as you - it doesn't connect when I slide it into the cradle. You said you "took it apart to adjust it" - what did you take apart - the ipaq or the cradle? If it was the cradle, which how did you take it apart? What exactly did you have to do to get it to fit? Thanks!
gregh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how's the 1940 for sound volume, can you hear it routing above the radio at motorway speeds?

I've currently got a 3970 which is fine but am thinking of going smaller.....

regards,

greg
thax1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Took it apart... Reply with quote

Sorry hbanzon, I wasnt watching this thread for replies...

I took the TomTom carkit cradle apart. The 1940 wasnt sitting down into it properly.

If you take it apart, you can see that the rather delicate connector at the bottom is perfectly capable of sliding fully into the ipaq's sync socket.

Its only a slight alignment issue that stops it. Slacken the screw that holds this connector, and clip it into the ipaq to get the alignment perfect. Tighten the screw again and check - I had about 4 attempts.

Once the cradle is rebuilt, the Ipaq should 'snap' down into place firmly.

Good luck.

Gregh,
The ipaq1940 is perfect - just get a fast SD card from panasonic or lexar.

You can hear it ok if its on the dashmount etc. You will need to have the radio at a lower volume, and stop singing to hear it. Laughing

I've never not been able to hear it when I want to. I'll turn the radio down if I want to concentrate on directions anyway.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: