Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voices replaced with tones?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voices replaced with tones?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pritch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Voices replaced with tones? Reply with quote

When on a voice call, my TomTom GO 710 will beep when it would otherwise have spoken an instruction.
I know I can change the volume to silent, but I would often prefer only an 'alert' tone, rather than a spoken command, especially with passengers in the car to make it less intrusive.

I sent this as a new feature request to TomTom and they said that features/options are normally only added on a by demand basis - i.e. lots of requests - more chance of it happening!

Does anyone else think that a single beep instead of a spoken command would be a 'nice to have' option?!
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Of All...
Welcome Pritch

Am I reading this correct....you would like an option of 'beep' instead of 'Turn Right', 'Turn Around When Possible' (spoken instructions ), etc.. If so, instead of waiting for TomTom to implement it, there is the possibility to create a voice VIF file with beep sounds where instructions would be.

Naturally, not all voice instructions should be beeps, 100, 200, After, etc.. should be silent. Only true instructions should be loaded with sound otherwise "After 100 yards, take the exit" would be replaced by "beep beep beep beep".

Let me know I got you right on your request and I'll mod a voice file for you if you don't want to play with audio editors et al....And specify if you want different 'beeps', i.e. low for lefts, high for rights, mid for non-directional ( roundabout exits, arrival, etc.. ).

Have to say that it may get a bit 'beeping' annoying after a while, myself. But I guess it's one of those don't knock 'til tried things, so I'm game for a laugh on this one.

regards
Pritch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Hirvevarra for the welcome!

Yes you have understood what I meant. I had seen the instructions here somewhere to create personalised voice files, but didn't fancy it myself - I had also thought of the beep beep beep problem - although I didn't think of using 'empty' files! Rolling Eyes

A simple tone like a single 'Polite 2' tone from the POI warnings is what I'd thought of.

But as you say, maybe it won't work / be effective.

I'd be very grateful if you were able to put something like that together... Thumbs Up
Pritch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have a go at creating a voice file myself but can't find the instructions now.

I've tried various search topics, in the belief that I saw the instructions here somewhere, without success! Anyone help with a link?!

Cheers.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Pritch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - so it wan't here after all !! Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: