Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed camera extra voices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed camera extra voices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davemazo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Speed camera extra voices Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the right place but here goes. I`ve just bought my first all in one satnav unit. I decided to go for the Tomtom One V2. I`ve subscribed to the speed camera database from Pgps, which I`ve managed to get working and after a lot of searching on these forums found that I can change the beeps and bongs to spoken voices, and that`s where I`ve gotten bogged down. I`m sure my question has been answered somewhere on these forums but I just can`t find the answers that I need, the amount of information has become so vast. My question is basically how do I put the spoken warnings on to the Tomtom in basic (very) laymans terms, even if someone could point me to the answer, if its here, in these forums. I`m also confused about finding the right version of my software. I`ve looked at the "show version" screen on the Tomtom but the numbers in there look nothing like the numbers I`ve seen floating about here or on Rays Tomtom Site. Mine says App 6.501, GPS v1.21, Boot 4.81, v660.1199. Like I say I haven`t seen any of these numbers mentioned anywhere so I`m not even sure which version of extra voices I have to use before I even get to installing the spoken warnings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use the new way of doing Voice Warnings.

Have a read of THIS.

It will also show you how to do it, and where to get the voice Files from.Smile

It is, in fact, a better way to do it.;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Davemazo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Oldboy. I did read that but first of all I thought it just applied to Navigator 6 which I assumed was the version for PDA`s. Secondly I didn`t have a clue what the author was on about. For example do I just get the ov2 file and change the .ov2 to .ogg, will that work?. Like I said I need laymans terms, this is all new to me.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mate...
Firstly, it appears to work with Navigator 5 and 6 for PDAs, and also for version 5 and 6 software for the TomTom Gos and One.

Secondly...
The camera database is (like any other POI file) made up of one or more .ov2 files (which are the data), and matching .bmp files (which are the little pictures of a camera, or whatever). You can now add to that a third file which is the alert sound. This needs to be in a slightly unusual audio file format (to Windows users anyway) called .ogg.

The data.chk file that you used to have to replace was encoded from a complete set of .ogg files, but now (in this new method) all you need to do is add an individual .ogg file with the same name as the .ov2 and .bmp files for each set.

So... using the 30mph camera file as an example, you would have:
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.bmp
and now, any sound file you like (in ogg format) called:
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ogg

As it is a fairly new technique, people haven't got round to putting many complete sets of .ogg files with the right names on the web yet.

That is why the files on Ray Flanagan's site will need renaming, as they were put up for people to play with and to make their own data.chk file before this new method was discovered.

Hope that makes it clearer.
Davemazo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy. I have to hang my head in shame. When I`d thought about it and concentrated it was obvious really. I`ve been playing around for the past hour and managed to sort it (I think) Tried a demo and it seemed to work. Sorry for wasting your time but I suppose we all have to start somewhere. Off to another thread now to ask another stupid question. Don`t quite understand the distance table compiled by Mike Alder here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-tomtom-go-910.php i.e. what do the seconds columns across the top mean?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davemazo wrote:
i.e. what do the seconds columns across the top mean?

That one's easy too....
Its how many seconds warning do you want, translated into distances travelled at each speed.
So if you want to have 20 seconds warning of every camera, set the warnings at 196yds for 20mph cameras, 293yds for 30mph cameras, 391yds for 40mph etc.
Davemazo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh. It`s obvious when it`s explained. Thanks Andy, the only excuse I can think of is that it was way past my bedtime when I looked. Either that or I`m just stupid

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: