Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SPV M2000 & TT Nav 5 - GPS Update issues!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SPV M2000 & TT Nav 5 - GPS Update issues!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaz_0001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: SPV M2000 & TT Nav 5 - GPS Update issues! Reply with quote

Hello,

I have recently got a new PDA, the SPV M2000. I now own TomTom Navigator 5 & 6. 6 is just too slow, so i have made a dif thread to see if anyone can help there but for the time being i am using navigator 5.

I have an issue with Navigator 5 in that the update of the map and my location is terribly slow. I am driving along at 30 and it just cant keep up!

I ran Navigator 5 on the old crap IPAQ and it was fine.

Is it anything to do with the GPS driver?? Here are all my details from the TomTom about screen.

Pocket PC
Great Britain Plus v 5.71
Tomtom v 5.210 (5430)
GPS Driver 1.20

It is a bluetooth GPS receiver and is about 18 month old and well broke in. I also have tomtom mobile on my nokia 6680 and the GPS receiver works perfectly with that.

It will be some kind of settings or something somewhere, but i dont know where to start.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Gaz
gaz_0001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am just messing with the PDA now.

Does the GPS 'Slowness' have anything to do with this??

In the bluetooth setting bit on the PDA it says ' Bluetooth Serial port settings'

It then has ports.

Inbound com port = 5
Outbound com Port = 6

In tomtom under the GPS status it has

Bluetooth Serial Port COM6
Bluetooth Serial Port COM5
BT UART

What settings should i have selected on the PDA itself?? Should the inbound and outbound be the same??

Also if they are supposed to be the same then obviously in tomtom i should set it to what the PDA is set to. BUT if the inbound and the outbound settings are supposed to be different, like they are at the moment, then what does tomtom need to be set to? The inbound or outbound??

Many Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz, you should be selecting the "Outbound" GPS port, when using the system in what way does it feel slow? have you loaded lots of POI and got them enabled? if so deselect them and use the warn when near POI option instead.
If this is not the case how much memory have you got free and allocated to the programs rather than storage? - Mike
gaz_0001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Gaz, you should be selecting the "Outbound" GPS port, when using the system in what way does it feel slow? have you loaded lots of POI and got them enabled? if so deselect them and use the warn when near POI option instead.
If this is not the case how much memory have you got free and allocated to the programs rather than storage? - Mike

POI

I have the speed cameras from this site. The seperates that indicate what speed you should be doing.... not that i ever speed ;-) I am only running the Gatso's and Spec's, mobile and temp seem to be a bit of a waste of time. I also have another one selected for work sites, which is a must.

I have also downloaded 5 off another site for hotels, service stations and some other ones, but i do not have these selected so that they display on screen.

GPS

I am sure that i had selected port 6 which is the outgoing from within TomTom, which is the correct one as you said. Also should the incoming and outgoing on the actual PDA be the same or different?

Memory

Did you mean from the memory section in the PDA? If so here are the details.

Total Main Memory 125.77MB

Storage
Allocated: 59.95MB
In Use: 35.13MB
Free: 24.82MB

Program
Allocated: 65.82MB
In Use: 23.61MB
Free: 42.21MB

From this screen it has a slider that i can use to mess with the allocated memory.

From within TomTom it says 'Free RAM 37.00 mb'

Thanks for your help
gaz_0001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry forgot to answer the question in what way does it feel slow.

The actual navigation through the menu system is fine, thats ok.

Its just the GPS update speed. On motorways its not too bad, but in the city and built up areas it updates my position so slowly on the map that i have already gone past the turning by the time it updates my location on screen, then by the time it re-routes ive missed the next 1!

On the tt mobile it is fluent, ie the arrow is moving when im moving. On this one on the PDA, the arrow it moving like every half mile, maybe more.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a start make sure you don't have the POI enabled, go to Change Preferences/ Enable disable POIs and de-select any POI that are ticked. Now go to Change preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn when near POI and set-up the warnings for the POI's (the two functions are independent of each other and enabling the POI's is known to slow down the display).
Give this a try if it doesn't improve it could be an issue relating to the speed of the memory card, let us know how you get on - Mike
gaz_0001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill try with the poi's. The card is a genuine 150x Sd Card. Tested myself, due to the number of fakes around at the moment.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: