Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PGPS camera database vs. TomTom camera database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PGPS camera database vs. TomTom camera database
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_de_wet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: PGPS camera database vs. TomTom camera database Reply with quote

I intend to subscribe to TomTom Traffic for use with my (just ordered) 910.

For an extra 10 euros I can get TomTom safety camera database updates.

What experience do people have of the accuracy of TomTom's camera data?

Thanks in advance ...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jury's out.
It used to be laughably bad, but recently a few people have been posting saying they think it is better than the PGPSW one.

Overall, I reckon I'd be safe in saying most people on this forum would prefer the one from here.
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Overall, I reckon I'd be safe in saying most people on this forum would prefer the one from here.

in addition you can't customise the TomTom camera warning sounds with your own or others ogg files.
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you? I thought the tomtom cams where std ov2 format in the map folder as well. I'm sure I remember deleting them before i loaded the PGPS ones.

timber wrote:
Andy_P2002 wrote:

in addition you can't customise the TomTom camera warning sounds with your own or others ogg files.
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Personally I think that PGPS camera database is much superie Reply with quote

Hi,
Personally I think that PGPS camera database is much superieur I have the two running. Had Tom Tom speed Cameras warning me when there is no cams so I would pay the £2 a month.
Cheers
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meestermartinho wrote:
I thought the tomtom cams where std ov2 format in the map folder as well. I'm sure I remember deleting them before i loaded the PGPS ones.
I think this changed with the latest software version.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
meestermartinho wrote:
I thought the tomtom cams where std ov2 format in the map folder as well. I'm sure I remember deleting them before i loaded the PGPS ones.

BGF this is exactly what my understanding was (firmware or change by TomTom) and the tomtom cameras are now located along with the poi's and not in the map folder. Finding the original message is another thing tried searching sure its somewhere on this site but then again may be on another Thumbs Up
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timber wrote:
BGF wrote:
meestermartinho wrote:

BGF this is exactly what my understanding was (firmware or change by TomTom) and the tomtom cameras are now located along with the poi's and not in the map folder. Finding the original message is another thing tried searching sure its somewhere on this site but then again may be on another Thumbs Up

If you mean hidden with the built-in POIs and not as OV2s they, Yes.
I can't find the info on the forum, but there is some reference to it here.
Quote:
What's new in 6.51?

Support for the TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver for Europe.

Safety Cameras - it's now easier to manage your Safety Cameras. Safety Cameras have been removed from the list of POIs. To enable or disable Safety Camera warnings, tap these buttons from the Main Menu: TomTom PLUS services , Safety Cameras , Enable/Disable warnings. The list of POIs is also easier to use, as it no longer has lots of entries for Safety Cameras.

I think it is a way that they can keep the content of their version of the files "private".

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Cheers Reply with quote

I think it is a way that they can keep the content of their version of the files "private"
Quote:

Hi BGF,
We should be able to pick what sounds we want not what they want. That why I complain to Tom Tom HQ then went back to the V6.020
Cheers
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got both on my TT OV2.

PGPS is much better than TT Cameras as the TT dont have mobile sites etc. Also the camera near us (redlight) is listed in the TT database as 30MPH when the limit is 40MPH. The PGPS is spot on.

So - I now only use the PGPS cameras and de-selected the TT cameras - even though I have a valid subscription for 11 months Sad

TT are a waste of time if you are done for speeding past a mobile site which the TT doesnt warn you about!
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, this topic has reminded me of something from the other night. What I have found with the 2 databases is that even with 'only warn when POI is on route' selected for a PGPS camera, there seems to be an area of a hundred yards or so around my route that also warns me of a camera. The TT camera seems to stick quite close to 'on route'. At a set of traffic lights the PGPS warning was pinging away for a 30mph camera off to the right (I was going left) but the TT one, not a blip. As a trial I changed route to take me right - and the TT camera piped up.

The TT cameras do seem to be in the map folder as ov2 files, but for some reason don't get listed in the POI list, hence being unable to change the warning sounds. Irritating yes, but not catastrophic by any means.

Laughing Out Louda wrote:
TT are a waste of time if you are done for speeding past a mobile site which the TT doesnt warn you about!

Personally I have 2 problems with this. The first is obvious (please note tongue firmly in cheek here) - you shouldn't be speeding anyway, the camera warnings are in theory just to serve as a reminder to watch your speed particularly in those areas that are accident blackspots (yeah yeah I know it's just a tax gathering exercise, but I had to say it for the legally minded out there) Wink

Secondly, and I find this the more bothering bit - the mobile warnings are getting to be almost useless. Let me explain before I get jumped on. The system itself is great, and to have the input of so many people in creating the database is a hell of an achievement. However, these days everywhere is potentially a mobile camera spot. Accident blackspot or not. On a 5 mile journey to a motorway I was warned of no less than 12 mobile positions. And then once on the motorway, every flaming bridge (almost) was pinged as a mobile position. It's getting to a point now where the number of mobile cameras is negating any advantage in the warning system.....it doesn't half get annoying being 'boinged' at every couple of miles or less. Laughing

Maybe when TT alter the firmware for the 910 so that any MP3 or audiobook being listened to can keep running while directions/warnings are played over the top I'll re-enable the mobile cameras. Until then I'll take my chances. BOING. Oh , another one Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyTrucker wrote:
What I have found with the 2 databases is that even with 'only warn when POI is on route' selected for a PGPS camera, there seems to be an area of a hundred yards or so around my route that also warns me of a camera.

This seeded to change with one of the last V5 software updates. Originally, if "only when on route" was ticked, my unit ignored anything that was even an inch of the route. Now, if I am travelling on a motorway and passing a junction, any a camera POI on the roundabout at the end of the slip-road will trigger an alert. It seems like the entire junction system has been included in "the route" (even though it doesn't show up in the on-route colour on the map).
Drives me mad!!!
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote] hence being unable to change the warning sounds. Irritating yes, but not catastrophic by any means.

It is if you suffer from a nervous disposition while driving, would not mind a Boing but a submarine siren. 8O
Cheers Wink
duckie008
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell me if PGPS sends out an email notification when there is a new version of the Camera Database to download? I have agreed to receive newsletters, etc in my profile but received no email notification about the 2 previous updates.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure about that duckie i dont use them myself it maybe there is a problem with the system i will ask later if anyone comes online have you checked you junk mail folder

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: