Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio510E questions from newbie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio510E questions from newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JIP3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Mio510E questions from newbie Reply with quote

Greetings, glad to have found this forum. I'm a "past his prime" newbie to Satnav altogether, let alone the Mio product - like one week ago! Have been experimenting and finding more questions than answers at present. Have updated to software version 3.2

1. The device lets me set two "Favourites" but I want one of these to include a via, since the computed route goes further out of the way than I would want. Is that possible, if so, how.

2. Do the speed camera alerts get triggered by camera positions on adjoining roads or just the road you're travelling on. I ask because I've been given alerts when there has been no camera in sight. I've also been travelling on a motorway at 60mph and been given the warning sound that I'm going too fast for the speed limit covered by the camera.

3. how long should the battery last on a full charge.

4. I used the device to plot a route that involved travelling north on the M42 (in the Midlands) and then moving onto the M40 (which is done by staying in the outer lanes as the M42 continues in the inner lanes). The map showed the route veering to the right, with the M40 shown, but there were no voice instructions to do anything at all. If I had been just listening, I would have continued on the M42. Is the omission of voice instructions normal/common?

that'll do for now, more to follow I'm sure

Many thanks
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mio510E questions from newbie Reply with quote

JIP3 wrote:
Greetings, glad to have found this forum. I'm a "past his prime" newbie to Satnav altogether, let alone the Mio product - like one week ago! Have been experimenting and finding more questions than answers at present. Have updated to software version 3.2

1. The device lets me set two "Favourites" but I want one of these to include a via, since the computed route goes further out of the way than I would want. Is that possible, if so, how.

2. Do the speed camera alerts get triggered by camera positions on adjoining roads or just the road you're travelling on. I ask because I've been given alerts when there has been no camera in sight. I've also been travelling on a motorway at 60mph and been given the warning sound that I'm going too fast for the speed limit covered by the camera.

3. how long should the battery last on a full charge.

4. I used the device to plot a route that involved travelling north on the M42 (in the Midlands) and then moving onto the M40 (which is done by staying in the outer lanes as the M42 continues in the inner lanes). The map showed the route veering to the right, with the M40 shown, but there were no voice instructions to do anything at all. If I had been just listening, I would have continued on the M42. Is the omission of voice instructions normal/common?

that'll do for now, more to follow I'm sure

Many thanks

1 - not that I'm aware of.

2 - yes - bloody annoying so turned mine off.

3 - mine, on a C710 lasts for about two hours

4 - Have not experienced this situation - tend not to travel that stretch of the motorway (usually coming the other way), however , I have just enetered the route on my C710 and get no audio indicataion of a change - only a change on teh screen when the two motorways change.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mio510E questions from newbie Reply with quote

Welcome!

1. The two 'Favourites' are locations, not routes, so they cannot include vias. You can of course use them for vias but if you have regular vias then you will find it easier to save them in the 'My POI' list.

2. It will alert you for cameras on a VERY close road, but if you are getting alerts with no visible camera then it is more likely that these are occasional locations of 'mobile' cameras in laybys or on bridges. Many people like to be warned of these locations, some don't.
Also if you are using Mio's camera database it is very much out of date. It may be alerting you to cameras that are no longer there, also it sometimes shows several cameras scattered around a location where there is in fact only one. You would be much better off substituting the database available on this site which although not perfect is very much more up to date. It also gives you the opportunity to leave out the 'mobile' cameras if you wish.

Sal
JIP3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Does using the alternative camera database invalidate the warranty? I only just bought it and wouldn't want to risk such a situation until I'm satisfied all is working well.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

JIP3 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Does using the alternative camera database invalidate the warranty? I only just bought it and wouldn't want to risk such a situation until I'm satisfied all is working well.

Certainly not, and you can always go back to the original at any time.

Sal
JIP3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SallyAnn

I was about to ask further questions, but found the answers by searching the forum - I've realised I need to get a bluetooth thingy for my PC. Will probably be back when I've bought that, and will then join to get the database.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JIP3 wrote:
Thanks SallyAnn
I was about to ask further questions, but found the answers by searching the forum - I've realised I need to get a bluetooth thingy for my PC. Will probably be back when I've bought that, and will then join to get the database.

You no longer need to put bluetooth on your PC to transfer the file - we now have the Transfer Hack which allows full connection with the USB cable. It is easier, more reliable and much quicker than bluetooth.

Sal
JIP3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - could you please point me to where that is?
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JIP3

It's over here.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=47351

CeeJay
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mio510E questions from newbie Reply with quote

JIP3 wrote:

They do indeed. A good example is the M6 northbound between junctions 4A and 5, which runs parallel to Collector Road for several miles. There are 50mph comaeras on the Collector Road that are picked up when you are travelling on the M6 - very annoying.

JIP3 wrote:

The route software assumes that if there are no instructions - just carry on on the same road - a bit like the driving test!

I know the M42/M40 junction you refer to and it does appear to lack the usual "keep right in 300 yards" type of voice message, when it could usefully have one - very odd!

Then again there is a very odd kink in the road near Fossebridge on the Fosse Way just north of Cirencester which does not exist in practice - just a bug in the map software.

Peasemold
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mio510E questions from newbie Reply with quote

JIP3 wrote:

They do indeed. A good example is the M6 northbound between junctions 4A and 5, which runs parallel to Collector Road for several miles. There are 50mph comaeras on the Collector Road that are picked up when you are travelling on the M6 - very annoying.

JIP3 wrote:

The route software assumes that if there are no instructions - just carry on on the same road - a bit like the driving test!

I know the M42/M40 junction you refer to and it does appear to lack the usual "keep right in 300 yards" type of voice message, when it could usefully have one - very odd!

Then again there is a very odd kink in the map near Fossebridge on the Fosse Way just north of Cirencester which does not exist in practice - just a bug in the map software.

Peasemold

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: