Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi 360 V TomTom Go 910
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi 360 V TomTom Go 910

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nazimyounis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 360 V TomTom Go 910 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of purchasing the Garmin Nuvi 360, I am a bit nervous, reason being, I’ve always been loyal to TomTom… never had any other Sat Nav other than a TomTom

I have had enough of TomTom, they quality seems to have gone downhill with their new TomTom Go 910, its too bulky and issues with the mount etc...

Anyway… what I like about the Garmin Nuvi 360 is the size and features ….

What I want to know is:

1) Is the Garmin Nuvi 360 a better buy than the TomTom Go 910?
2) Has anyone purchased purchased the Garmin Nuvi 360, what do you think of it?
3) How the POI update?
4) How frequent to Garmin up date their maps?

I’d appreciate if someone could give me some feedback or any links to reviews on the Garmin Nuvi 360.

Thanks in advance.

Nazim

ex - TOMTOM Nokia N95
ex - TOMTOM GO 700
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 5 on XDA IIi
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 3 on XDA II
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 3 on XDA
Legohead
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help a bit on this mate as I've just returned my 3rd Go 510 and gone with a Nuvi 310 so close but not your exeact models.

Couldn't fault the Tomtom for ease of use, phone sync, aquisition times etc, and the Tele Atlas maps look real accurate, but.......
that poxy windscreen mount drives you nuts, it just doesn't feel positive to dock, leading to charging problems etc. Its a shame as I really liked the unit itself, felt very solid and very intuitive to use.

Onto the Nuvi, I bought one of the deals that Halfords has to offer which after some searching seemed unbeatable.

Nuvi 310
Full Euro maps on disk
TMC aerial for traffic info worth £150
and an unmarked 256 SD card chucked in all for £400

Was a bit doubtfull looking at the pictures as the NavTeq maps don't look as elegant as the Tele Atlas of the Tomtom, and the size of the unit dictates a small speaker, but all these fears were put to rest once I used it, very impressed so far.
Everything works so well, its one of those devices that you feel at ease with.
Download Garmins free POI loader and I loaded the speed camera database previously saved from this site in seconds.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nazimyounis.
I have owned both the TT910 and the nuvi 360 so I think I can safely answer your questions.

1) The nuvi 360 blows the TT910 out of the water. Better mount, better size and all the software works, unlike the TT910. I haven't found 1 bug in the software yet.
The hands free doesn't even need to use an external microphone unlike the TT910. All my callers tell me speech is clear on the 360 using the inbuilt mike. So one less lead to worry about.

2) Blinding little unit. Time to first fix is well impressive although any unit using the SirfStar III chipset should be the same. I also find because all the software works properly that I'm hardly looking at the thing.
One nice touch that is not on any of the TT's is that there is an overspeed warning as well as camera alerts. Very useful indeed. 8)

3) Download POI Loader software from the Garmin site (freebie of course), get your camera files from this site, stick all your POI's and cameras in same folder on your PC and transfer the lot in one go. Piece of cake.

4) I believe this to be annually, but may be wrong on this. The maps are far more up to date. Garmin use Navteq maps and TT use Teleatlas.
One example of the quality of the mapping, I went to visit my brother in Northampton from Surrey recently using the nuvi 360 and it nailed his address to the door number spot on, and that was a fairly new housing estate. My brother's road is not even on the Teleatlas maps, let alone his house number! Evil or Very Mad
Apart from the fact it got me there and back cos I didn't have a clue where I was going in Northampton itself. Confused
I daresay there will be some mapping issues with Navteq but they certainly seem to be less than Teleatlas.

I have to agree with Legohead on his observations that the nuvi maps don't look as pretty as TT's but if it's an accurate, fully functioning unit you're after it is spot on.

Now if you're still interested after all that click on the link below. Wink
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=42769

CeeJay
nazimyounis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CeeJay---can you please contact me, i've sent you a PM with my email address, i'm definitely interested.

ex - TOMTOM Nokia N95
ex - TOMTOM GO 700
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 5 on XDA IIi
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 3 on XDA II
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 3 on XDA
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceejay said

Quote:
Now if you're still interested after all that click on the link below.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=42769

Ceejay , if you are that impressed, how come you are selling your nuvi and not one of your other gadgets? Just wondered Bouncing

Regards ....Dil

CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dilcymro.

Cos I got my eye on yet another gadget and funds don't permit at the moment. :D

CeeJay.
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceejay, what are yer like, what do you know about this MIO C510 sat nav then, have you heard about them?

Regards....Dil

CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Dilcymro.

Funnily enough I've been having a very close look at them and the C710 recently. :D
If you want to check out the manual go here
http://www.mio-tech.be/support/manuals/PDF/C510E/MioMap_v3_C510_User_Manual_UK_RC9.pdf

CeeJay
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ceejay, thanks for that info on the mio, looks quite impressive plus you can use it on foot aswell. I quite like the fact that you can adjust quite a few settings yourself.
By the way , does text to speach work in the uk on the nuvi 360, where it gives you the street directions, am sure that I read somwhere it doesnt work over here only in the states.

Thanks....Dil

Has anyone used the garmin lock stickers in their car at all???

CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dilcymro.
Text to speech does work in the UK on the nuvi 360, and it has to be said, very well too.
One of the many reasons I got the 'ump with the TT910 was it shortened the word Gardens to Gard and Crescent to Cres, boy did that sound pony, and TT's Text to speech files were 4GB! 8O. How poor is that.
No such probs on the 360. Laughing and Garmins voice files are only 314MB and not 4GB!

And no I haven't advertised the fact that I got a Garmin with the stickers, it's bad enough having to pack everything away everytime I leave the car and didn't fancy coming back to a busted window even though everything was removed. :D

CeeJay.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CeeJay wrote:
One of the many reasons I got the 'ump with the TT910 was it shortened the word Gardens to Gard and Crescent to Cres, boy did that sound pony, and TT's Text to speech files were 4GB! 8O. How poor is that.
No such probs on the 360. Laughing and Garmins voice files are only 314MB and not 4GB!
Just a couple of points if I may, my 910 used to shorten the word Gardens to Gard (as I live off a road with that name, I noticed it every day, even the wife wondered why it couldn't pronounce the word correctly), Since upgrading to vs6,11 this particular problem has gone away.
Text To Speach files on the 910 are no difference in size for example the Kate voice is 311MB, if you need to free up space on the 20GB drive simply remove the foreign TTS voices, its the qty of different voices that add up to the 4GB file size - Mike
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mikealder.

Thanks for putting me straight on that. Thought they were a bit big. :o
With regards to the pronunciations of Gard and Cres, I e-mailed TT to let them know of this error in the early days. My email included words like 'it's driving me mad' but at the end of my email I did add that I thought at the time it was the best TTS I had heard.
Their response hardly filled me with any hope of a fix.
It went something like:
"Thank you for contacting customer support, it is nice to receive positive feedback from our customers".

After that I thought they had not taken any notice of the initial complaint.
Obviously they did. 8O Probably mine along with many others.

CeeJay.
ColinG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 360 V TomTom 910 Reply with quote

Hi,
I went into town to buy a TT910 but after hearing about faulty returns decided to defer and do some more research. Eventually I went for Nuvi 360 and have to say on balance I'm well pleased with it.
Nice and compact and truly portable, excellent screen and routing software. I also like the idea of the Security Code Lock function which of course TT doesn't have and TT is just too big a unit to lug round town although screen is excellent but so is 360.
I've mounted my bracket onto the centre top of dashboard rather than windscreen with the provided dash mount although I've used Heavy Duty Velcro from Halfords to secure so can peel off when car sold as Garmin say their mount is a permanent fix. The advantage of this option is unit is nearer to you, doesn't block windscreen view and just looks a neater job as less cable on show.
Bluetooth connect to my Blackberry 7100 easy although can't port across Address Book, but basic functionality good.
Speaker volume for me is too quiet on M/way but there is an external 3.5mm speaker out socket ( misprint in Garmin instructions which infers this to be a power input socket) - haven't got round to connecting to Car Radio yet if possible or I've got an old carphone speaker to use.
MP3 player very good - I've got a 1Gb disc for music storage along with Third Party POI's and the Speed Camera function is really brill - alerts given and if you don't slow down to match designated speed restriction it keeps alerting you. I really like that. The Downloader for POI's from Garmin Website is just so easy to use. It used to take me ages to do monthly update for my Ipaq/CoPilot V4 & V6.
I didn't think I'd use the Audible Book function but loaded up a book to try it out from www.audiblebook.co.uk ( don't use www.garmin.audible.com as per Garmin instructions) and have to say I really enjoy this function as I stay away on business and is good in evenings rather than watching limited hotel TV channels. (I can & do read conventional books too!)
I've got on order the new GTM12 Traffic aerial so can't tell if any good. I could have gone for the 310D from Halfords which included this and seemed a good bundle but I wanted the extra voice instructions and preloaded all of Europe Maps hence going for the 360. Not sure also if 310D includes the Home Charger kit which 360 does.
My son has a TT500 which I used to compare with my Pocket CoPilot V6 so I know functionality of the TT software which is good too. I just got put off by the bad press TT is receiving and this was confirmed by asking around in shops about faulty returns. Quite a few for TT910 and none for Garmin. To my mind reliability is far more important than possible other functionalities and extras the TT910 provides and long term what happens if and when the TT910 Hard Drive fails? The Garmin unit has solid state so no moving parts. I kept waiting for the TT710 ( no HD Drive) but launch keeps being put back - I wonder why?!!
So in my opinion the Nuvi 360 is a very good little unit and so far has been faultless in operation and I would recommend it. 8/10. :D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Nuvi 360 V TomTom 910 Reply with quote

ColinG wrote:
I also like the idea of the Security Code Lock function which of course TT doesn't have.
The TomTom device does have the pin lock security feature - just thought I would point this out, You have a very capable unit though, I hope you enjoy your purchase and it gives many years of service - Mike
dpmguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
CeeJay wrote:
Just a couple of points if I may, my 910 used to shorten the word Gardens to Gard (as I live off a road with that name, I noticed it every day, even the wife wondered why it couldn't pronounce the word correctly), Since upgrading to vs6,11 this particular problem has gone away.
Text To Speach files on the 910 are no difference in size for example the Kate voice is 311MB, if you need to free up space on the 20GB drive simply remove the foreign TTS voices, its the qty of different voices that add up to the 4GB file size - Mike

Has anyone tried to remove the foreign voices from the MIO C510E. I tried removing one as a test but then got an error message when trying to access the setup page. error when away when the fle was put back. Anyone got any suggestions?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: