Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - C510E and TMC - Confusion reigns!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

C510E and TMC - Confusion reigns!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: C510E and TMC - Confusion reigns! Reply with quote

I have come to the conclusion that certain suppliers have been selling Mio TMC adaptors for the C510E that they say support TMC, but they omit to mention that these will not work in the UK. I have to say this is a little bit naughty as these devices are not cheap, presumably because they include a lifetime subscription to the UK TMC service.

It would appear, going through the long MIO/TMC thread, that Mio have been shipping these adaptors to suppliers on the pretext that there has been a demand from UK users for them even though they do not support the UK service, primarily from users who spend a lot of time driving on the continent where TMC is free. If that is the case, they should not include the UK subscription element of the cost. IOW, they should cost about £30, not £80.

Mio now say that they are doing something (hardware/firmware/software update?) within the next month that will mean that TMC adaptors (whether exisiting or new I'm not sure) will be or become UK TMC compatible.

Strangely, some users (well, one in particular), seemed to have obtained TMC adaptors that do work with a C510E.

I have been the possessor of a TMC adaptor since last Friday. Despite apparently scanning stations it has yet to provide any TMC information, and I can't believe there hasn't been any in the W Midlands during this time.

Sadly, the device will have to be returned as "unfit for purpose", and I eagerly await some clarifiaction from Mio and other users.

Peasemold
Ultrax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peasemold,

if you read the TMC thread properly, you will note that there are at least two (Bigrids as well) C510E owners who have bought TMC adaptors from Easy devices that do WORK with our units. Since this supplier has now run out of stock, i am sure that there must be other people with TMC running on 510s. I have reached the point where i am just going to ignore any more of these 'statements' from MIO as they are complete nonsense, unless they refer specifically to the C210 units. TMC works on my C510E and other 510 units.
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrax wrote:
Hi Peasemold,

if you read the TMC thread properly, you will note that there are at least two (Bigrids as well) C510E owners who have bought TMC adaptors from Easy devices that do WORK with our units. Since this supplier has now run out of stock, i am sure that there must be other people with TMC running on 510s. I have reached the point where i am just going to ignore any more of these 'statements' from MIO as they are complete nonsense, unless they refer specifically to the C210 units. TMC works on my C510E and other 510 units.
Hi Ultrax,
I've read the thread so much that I could probably recite it word for word and I do realise that you are not the only one with a working device, although my confusion is now probably greater than Mio's.

Easy devices now seem to have the devices back in stock so I have ordered one, and I am in the process of returning the non-functioning unit to globalpositioningsystems.co.uk. It seems that they (globalpositioningsystems.co.uk) are under the impression that Mio have an update on their website. Personally I think they are confusing the software update to V3.2 with any firmware/hardware updates to TMC units, and I have written back and told them so.

I now await the Easy Devices unit and desperately hope that this is the same unit you and Bigrids have got.

Many thanks

Peasemold
Ultrax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peasemold,

thanks for clearing that up and providing a bit more info regarding the TMC you bought from Global. You did not state if this adaptor is another one of the MIO branded devices that i believe we have established as not working on the 510 or maybe another type? I have detailed the working GNS adaptor that both Bigrids and me bought from EASY, on the previous TMC thread, so i hope you phoned them and confirmed that this is the same device they now have back in stock? I can only once again assure you that this particular adaptor does work. Good luck.

Cheers
FuzzyDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Well my tale of woe starts with a TMC adaptor purchased directly from Mio's online shop when I got my C510 in June!

I have patiently waited for the software update (being stuck on v3.0) and was promised by Mio that the software update would fix the issue of not being able to use TMC.

I finally had time over the weekend to download the update and now have a C510 with v3.2 but after plugging in the TMC adaptor, I don't see any difference!

If I go to the satellite screen, I don't get the TMC button appearing. When the software starts I see a "TMC INIT" message, but after that, nothing to do with TMC at all.

For those of you with the C510, does the TMC button appear after the v3.2 update, or only when the TMC adaptor (plus trailing aerial) is plugged in?

I have the adaptor in-line (power lead into TMC adaptor, TMC adaptor into C510) is there something I'm missing?

Thanks

Proud owner of:
Mio C620t (the new baby) and a Mio C510e
Ultrax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi FuzzyDuck,

with V3.11 the TMC button was always present on the C510E, but now on V3.2 it only appears when the TMC is plugged in and powered up. The adaptor direct from MIO appears tp be one of the devices that simply does not work with the current software/C510. At present, the only adaptor that does work seems to be the GNS one from Easy devices.

Regards
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrax wrote:
Hi Peasemold,

thanks for clearing that up and providing a bit more info regarding the TMC you bought from Global. You did not state if this adaptor is another one of the MIO branded devices that i believe we have established as not working on the 510 or maybe another type? I have detailed the working GNS adaptor that both Bigrids and me bought from EASY, on the previous TMC thread, so i hope you phoned them and confirmed that this is the same device they now have back in stock? I can only once again assure you that this particular adaptor does work. Good luck.

Cheers
The adaptor from Global was indeed a Mio. I'm now checking with Easy Devices but I fear that may be a Mio one as well, I'll let you know.

Peasemold
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ultrax,

Would this be the one you have?

http://66.249.93.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.dantotec.de/shop/gns-fm9-tmc-kabel-rds-trafficbox-universal-mit-md6-stecker-p-16844.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3DGNS%2BTMC/RDS%2Badaptor%2BTrafficBox%2BMio%2BC510E%26num%3D50%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG
http://tinyurl.com/tkflb

Also Easy seem to have this one:

http://www.easydevices.co.uk/pp/GPS_Receivers/TMC_GPS_Receivers/GNS_FM9_RDS_TMC_RECEIVER_FOR_NAVMAN_ICN550.html
http://tinyurl.com/vk445

Is it universal, as the German site says, I wonder?

Thanks,

Peasemold
Ultrax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TMC adaptor i have is a GNS external RDS/TMC adaptor TrafficBox (looks like German make).

Peasemold,

i am at work and cannot get access to the site from the link you posted. Above is the description of my TMC adaptor as i posted it in the previous thread regarding this topic. Hope this helps.
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I phoned Easy Devices and they confirmed that the device I ordered is indeed the GNS device, still out of stock, but stock coming in at the end of the week and I should receive it next week sometime.

Result!

And I wish I had bought my C510E from them - they are selling the C710 at not much more than I paid for the C510E - £255.

Cheers,

Peasemold
bigrids
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peasemold

This is the link to the adapter that I have and as Ultrax says definitely works.

http://www.easydevices.co.uk/pp/Dedicated_GPS/Mio_Sat_Nav_Accessories/MIO_C510_TMC_RDS_ADAPTER.html

Bigrids
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigrids wrote:
Hi Peasemold

This is the link to the adapter that I have and as Ultrax says definitely works.

http://www.easydevices.co.uk/pp/Dedicated_GPS/Mio_Sat_Nav_Accessories/MIO_C510_TMC_RDS_ADAPTER.html

Bigrids
Many thanks, Bigrids and also Ultrax for you patience and valuable information. I was a little concerened that the easy devices website shows the brand as "Mio" but I confirmed with them over the phone that it is the GNS device that they supply.

Once again,

Thanks

Peasemold

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: