Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ipaq 2210: New GPS user - help please!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ipaq 2210: New GPS user - help please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Ipaq 2210: New GPS user - help please! Reply with quote

Hi

I have just bought an Ipaq 2210 and am looking to get some GPS equipment for it.

I need to use it in 2 different cars, and have done a fair bit of research on this site and a few others. Well done on a fantastic site by the way !

I am looking at buying the following:

2 x Universal Vent mount from TheClip.com to allow easy and cheap transfer between vehicles
Haicom 303MMF CF GPS receiver
TomTom Navigator 2
12v power/charge lead for the 2210

Does this seem like a sensible choice? I don't want cables everywhere, hence the 303MMF (and I therefore probably won't use it in mouse mode)

Are there any issues with compatibility with the above combination? I guess I'll have to get a "sleeve" style leather case to accommodate the mounting "button" which I'll have to stick to the back of my 2210 (eeek!).

Also I'm after a recommendation on a large capacity SD card - probably 256 or 512Mb - as I want to use one card for everything. I'veread bad reports about SanDisk and was going to go for an Integral - is this a good choice?

Help much appreciated Rolling Eyes
Dave.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You started off good by purchasing a 2210! Thumbs Up

I really don't see any problems with the above configuration, it's a pretty good config. You say you don't want cables everywhere, you will still have cables for the 303MMF if you choose to use it in mouse mode. If you want a near wireless setup apart from your PPC charger cable, then a Bluetooth setup would be best.

If you can afford a 512mb SD card, get it, you'll only run out of space at some point and wish you went for a larger card. Prices are coming down all the time, and if a 512mb card is in reach, then get one! Thumbs Up I have 2x512mb Integral SD's and love them, can't fault them in anyway. Check out www.ValueFlash.co.uk for good prices on the Integrals.

If you want to buy a TheClip.com vent mount, try PDAMods.com at http://www.pdamods.com/products.asp?id=23 they sell them for £7.99 and saves having to order from the States. Downside is you will have permanently fix a button to the back of the iPAQ, or to the leather case, but they are good vent mounts. The other option is to go for a magnetic windscreen mount and that way you will have a flush magnetic pad stuck to the back of the iPAQ which may be a little nicer and not stick out so much. A benefit of the TheClip.com vent mount is you can also buy a belt holster clip, and have the iPAQ hanging from your belt.
DaveB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave - much appreciated.

One more question...

If I get the Haicom 303MMF, and don't use it in mouse mode, will it have to do a cold start every time I want to use it - or does it have some kind of internal battery to retain some power?

With a Bluetooth setup I'm a bit concerned about some of the bad reports I'm reading - lost connections etc etc. Has a lot of this been sorted out yet or is it still an issue?

Thanks

Dave.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cold start is usually when the GPS receiver has been powered off for more than 4-6 hours. There are two types of data the GPS Receiver stores. Almanac and Ephemeris. If you don't have an Almanac (usually current for months) then it will take more than 12.5 mins to obtain a fix (usually considered factory).

If you have the Almanac and all of the Ephemeris (usually current for several hours) then you will get a hot fix. Some where in between you will get a cold fix, usually around 4-6 hours, this means that it needs to download the full ephemeris tables, which the quickest it can do this at is 30 seconds in an ideal situation. Most cold fixes are usually around 50 secs to 1 min, so if you're looking to use Sat Nav between home and work then you'll find yourself having a cold fix each way. Unless the GPS Receiver is continually powered, in which case you shouldn't have any time to receive a fix.

Some Bluetooth GPS Receivers can be lost by switching from NMEA to SiRF and changing the baud rate of connection at the same time, most are okay. Bluetooth is good for a wireless setup, if the processor is taxed though the first thing to drop will be the Bluetooth Stack which means you may need to reconnect in the BT Manager to re-establish the BT connection between Pocket PC and GPS, but this doesn't happen all that often.
DaveB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

Thanks (again!). I think I might now have a plan - but there are still 2 options....!

I get 2 vent mounts from PDAMods, one for each car.

If I get a 303MMF, with the (extra) power cable and cable to connect to my 2210 (is there a Y cable available for this?), then I could leave it permanently installed in my main car, constantly powered up so it is ready to use. My cigar lighter socket is always live on this car - would it drain my car battery if I did this - eventually maybe?

For the occasional use in the other car I can just use it in CF mode, with a single power lead to the 2210. I guess this means cold starts but 1-2 mins is not a problem.

I'm still really unsure about Bluetooth receivers. I could get a Fortuna ClipOn (the one that can switch modes) from eBay for £129 including home charger & USB charger ......very tempting.....are you getting one for review soon? I'm concerned about long term battery life etc - although apparently they take a certain Nokia phone battery!

Help much appreciated......I'm totally unsure which way to go!

Thanks
Dave.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't drain the car battery, as voltage is quite low, but unless you've got several in-line fuses, you might get more spikes, esp when the alternator is charging the battery.

Purchasing a spare cable is always tricky with any kind of GPS mouse, if you can get one, get one whilst they're available as most retailers don't make much money on cables so prefer not to sell just spare cables and will only sell the complete package.

Fortuna Clip-On, it's in review now. Thumbs Up Nice little GPS!

Bluetooth GPS Receivers are in their infancy, we have only just approached the 12 month anniversary of the Emtac, and nobody seems to be complaining about drained batteries yet. The Clip-On does take a Nokia style battery and I think these will be the way to go, if the batteries are readily available. Hopefully going the Nokia route, they will be.

My personal preference although I do still use Bluetooth in-car most days, I still prefer cabled GPS Receivers. Sure there's more cable in-car, but you very rarely get any problems, the cable that comes from the accessory socket to the GPS also powers the Pocket PC so it's just concealing the cables under the drivers mat, around the door seal and up onto the dashboard. Although a little large now, I still have 2xLeadtek 9531's in-car, I also like the Holux GM-210 and RoyalTek Sapphire. The X5 in the interim tests I did came out very good, and Mike found that too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: