Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Available In Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Available In Europe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinch wrote:

Well, if you are going to use an analogy like that, then you can apply that to buying a DVD that is made specifically for the U.S (NTSC) that wont work on my UK PAL DVD Player.

No you cannot, luck would have it we have the same FM radio as in the rest of Europe.

Last edited by Eldar on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Allen_EP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think RDS has a point at the end of the day TT have not released it in the UK perhaps because they know there is a problem using it over here. I also find it strange there is only one company bothering to import these units with the demand for this unit is it not strange that no one else has import them ?
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen_EP wrote:
I think RDS has a point at the end of the day TT have not released it in the UK ....

I don't understand where this rumour is coming from - I have this receiver on our October price list from TomTom (9V00.006, RRP £69.99)
Allen_EP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet their own site still does not have it as available in the UK !
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen_EP wrote:
Yet their own site still does not have it as available in the UK !

We are buying directly from TomTom, not from their website. If it is on the list sent to UK dealers, then it is available in the UK
Allen_EP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean it is available or will be?
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, TomTom have not yet officially released the TMC receiver for sale in the UK. It has not been announced through press release, website or any other medium. Nor is it available for general sale anywhere in this country ie Amazon, Halfords, Currys, Argos or any other retailer. The only online retailers who do have it for sale appear to be selling receivers imported from the continent.

Secondly, it is wrong to say an FM receiver either works or it doesn't as there are so many variables which can differ from country ie signal strength, frequencies used, number of transmitters and stations, etc, etc.
Obviously the UK does have FM radio, however is the way TMC information is broadcast here exactly the same as on the continent ie same strength, same number of radio stations etc ?
Garmin have found that the signal strength for the system they use to be much stronger on the contintent than it is over here.Consequently their TMC receivers work fine in Europe but are distinctly iffy in the UK.

Finally, you cannot expect to buy something that is not released by the manufacturer for sale in a particular country and just automatically expect it to work.
Ask yourself a simple question 'Why have TomTom not yet released their TMC receiver in the UK?'
Given that there are probably thousands of TTx10 UK users who are only too desperate to spend their hard earned cash.It can't be for a lack of demand. Nor as it appears to be readily available in Europe can it be for lack of receivers. So could it just be that they're aware of specific UK issues which need to be addressed before it will function as it should and before it can be officially released for sale in the UK?
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:

Secondly, it is wrong to say an FM receiver either works or it doesn't as there are so many variables which can differ from country ie signal strength, frequencies used, number of transmitters and stations, etc, etc.

What you are saying is that that there are different standards for FM broadcast in the UK, which I don't think is correct.
A device should comply with a standard, one of the parameters for a receiver is sensitivity. It is obvious that it is exactly what lets the TT receiver down - it works quite well with an external antenna.

I can have poor GSM coverage in Highgate, but I don't expect Nokia to produce a special "Highgate" version of the phone.

RDS wrote:

Finally, you cannot expect to buy something that is not released by the manufacturer for sale in a particular country and just automatically expect it to work.

I can officially order these receivers from TomTom and officially sell them in the UK. The TMC receiver in question was mainly aimed at the French and German markets, where people are used to this service, that is why there wasn't any marketing hype around it in the UK.

I can also tell you that I drove through France in August this year and my experience was very similar to that of the majority of people here.
Allen_EP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they can be ordered officially here in the UK and I am not saying you are wrong then why do Argos, Woolworth's etc show them as available soon. Surly they would have them in stock?
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen_EP wrote:
If they can be ordered officially here in the UK and I am not saying you are wrong then why do Argos, Woolworth's etc show them as available soon. Surly they would have them in stock?

Because a) TT delivery time can vary from 2 weeks to 1 month b) these guys must buying in thousands, which if there is a shortage makes it more difficult to put the order together c)the priority would be for "first target" countries.
Allen_EP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b) these guys must buying in thousands
And Argos and the like will only buy tens!
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may not be different standards for FM broadcast in the UK but the way FM stations broadcast, power, strength, etc can be different than in Europe. A device doesn't have to comply with a standard and it may be that a UK specific receiver will have to be more sensitive than one for sale on the continent because of the differing signal strengths. As said previously Garmins GTM 12 receiver apparently works fine on the continent yet struggles over here.

Given how competitive the GPS market is in the UK and the fact that several other manufacturers already have TMC receivers available I would assume that there would be plenty of marketing hype when TT eventually release theirs.

Finally, as you are evidently a retailer of TT TMC receivers and may have more 'inside knowledge' have you been assured by Tom Tom that the TMC receiver you are buying from them is designed for use in the UK and is identical in specification to the receiver that they intend releasing for the UK ?
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that is just the point.
If TomTom supplied to Argos Etc tens of thousands of these units and there is an issue with them - allegedly!!, then imagine the nightmare and expense of recall after recall.
By trickle feeding them to smaller outlets they can moniter and adjust their strategy in a much more controlled manner - but are TomTom that professional?. Laughing
Allen_EP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be right after all Argos have a 16 day money back policy and judging by what has been said about the TMC they would be having a large volume of returns. If this was to happen then they would probably withdraw the item as they have done in the past with items that have been faulty.
Allen_EP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but are TomTom that professional?.

Now thats a hard one to answer Laughing Out Loud

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 10 of 22

Jump to: