Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin I3 problem!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin I3 problem!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
Robin2 wrote:
Yes, the i3 belongs to my wife!! And the behaviour I reported above is absolutely reproducible.

Robin

When I can find it, then, I'll dig up the forum posting reference the Garmin chap and his statements. Might be worth forwarding your comments to him, to see if he wants to revise his statement, and see if there's any truth there.

Here you go - notice the general comments on how they (Garmin) and their units (note this account is not specific to any one Garmin Sat Nav unit). This was posted in this forum, and was a response from Garmin support, regarding some specific routing issues raised as a support call / issue:-

Hello Graham,

There is not the mapping technology available to do this. May be in the
future this will become available. However any techology like this has to
be implemented by the mapping database supplier which in Garmins case is
Navteq.

Below is an explanation how a gps calculates a route.

The only function of the different vehicle mode is to change the ETA
(Estimated Time on Arrival) and ETE (Estimated Time En-route)

The GPS has no routing preference to avoid 'narrower' roads, which may not
be suitable for your vehicle. No Garmin unit at this point in time can do
this. Data required for this, is not currently available in the mapping. The
mapping used is produced by Navteq, who are regarded as the best is the
business and supplies most GPS companies with their mapping.

Each road contains routing data and the GPS unit makes a mathematical
calculation based on the speed limits of each road. The GPS unit does not
have the ability to know which type of road is best suited for your vehicle.
If at any time the GPS routes you down an unsuitable road for your vehicle I
suggest you carry on along the current road until the GPS re-calculates a
new route.

Our auto-routing algorithm attempts to find reasonable routes based on user
preferences and limitations of processing time and memory space. The
preference of "Faster" and "Shorter" does not necessarily yield the absolute
fastest or shortest route, rather, the routing algorithm uses the preference
as a guide for decision-making when calculating the route. Also, we
frequently update and improve our algorithms, which may cause different
route paths to be calculated by different versions of our software even if
all the preferences are the same. In all cases, we strive to calculate
routes that are reasonable and that allow the customer to efficiently
navigate to the intended destination

Thank you

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Regards,
Customer Support
Sales Support Associate
Garmin (Europe) Ltd
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
Hang on, here - myself and others have pointed out routing issues, Garmin have accepted and attempted to fix these issues in firmware. These are issues with core functionality.

Yes and my PC crashes on occasions, my iPod plays up at times, the XBOX 360 crashes sometimes when I am playing and my DVD recorder wouldn't accept DVDs occasionally amongst other examples that I can continue listing until next week. These are all issues with core functionality but life will have to keep going and people whinging because the i3 (that cost around £100) had once send them through the wrong route 9although eventually got to their destination) should either get a life or wait forever for a SatNav system that is flawless.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
Hang on, here - myself and others have pointed out routing issues, Garmin have accepted and attempted to fix these issues in firmware. These are issues with core functionality.

Yes and my PC crashes on occasions, my iPod plays up at times, the XBOX 360 crashes sometimes when I am playing and my DVD recorder wouldn't accept DVDs occasionally amongst other examples that I can continue listing until next week.

They are all pieces of technology that you tend to use for entertainment.

An in-car sat nav is something more than that. And it goes further, these days. Some cars run embedded software, that crashes, and can't be used until rebooted - which users / car owners tend not to have access to do. So they have to get a dealers / technician to reboot the car's computer before it can be used.

Almahadeus wrote:
These are all issues with core functionality

Indeed they are - but their purpose and use doesn't tend to be as real-time or crucial to fundamental purpose.

And when it is, in the case of - say - computers, then the requirements tend to demand greater resilience.

Almahadeus wrote:
but life will have to keep going and people whinging because the i3 (that cost around £100)

Mine didn't.

And if people didn't "whinge" as you put it, or complain to Garmin, or protest that it's unsatisfactory, nothing would ever get done, and vendors would proliferate selling pieces of technology that are flakey at what they should be doing.

Almahadeus wrote:
had once send them through the wrong route 9although eventually got to their destination) should either get a life or wait forever for a SatNav system that is flawless.

In the instances that I've given, the i3 didn't appear that it was going to get to my destination - it had sent me around in one big loop, and was about to do so for the second time, before I ignored it's current instructions, deviated, and made it recalculate.

You may think that's perfectly acceptable, and is "good enough" for whatever price tag you feel appropriate - hey, big-up your apathy.

And as to your parting comment, if everybody's attitude was as yours, it's quite possible sat navs would never be flawless, or at least not fail in their core function - because people such as yourself appear willing to just accept it, and be grateful for whatever they give you for the money you stump up.

And every strength to you - if you are just happy to make do, then so be it.

But people have valid complaints, and whether you like it, or not, I - and quite likely others - will not be shy about pointing it out - whether that offends your ethics or not. Because your type of protest is decidedly aimless - if you don't have a problem, nor see fit to complain, then why on earth read and contribute to such threads? To protest about other people complaining? How redundant is that...

If you don't like what I write on the subject, then you are free to read it, ignore it, comment on it - do whatever you like. But at the end of the day, you yourself complaining about others complaining is one of the most pointless endeavours I've ever seen pursued - but feel free anyway. If it's important for you to object, then carry on regardless.
peloquin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway...................

I'd just like to say, err, thanks? At least I now know i'm not the only one with this happening!

Alan
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
An in-car sat nav is something more than that. And it goes further..

Lester_Burnham wrote:
- but their purpose and use doesn't tend to be as real-time or crucial to fundamental purpose

What an argument that is. If you rely on SatNav to this extent then I would strongly suggest you use a good old paper map which won't take you through strange routes. I also don't share your view that losing data on a DVD or PC is mere entertainment.

Lester_Burnham wrote:
And if people didn't "whinge" as you put it, or complain to Garmin, or protest that it's unsatisfactory, nothing would ever get done, and vendors would proliferate selling pieces of technology that are flakey at what they should be doing.

People should put their money where their mouths are. Instead of "whinging", they should go and spend their money on a different product (if they can find one) and not only go .........ohhhh I should have gone for TomTom one. Just go and get one for godness sake and they may learn a lesson or two about new technology.
Lester_Burnham wrote:
- it had sent me around in one big loop, and was about to do so for the second time, before I ignored it's current instructions, deviated, and made it recalculate...

And once people start going in circles then they should know that it is time to use their brain as you did, when the i3 finally took you to your destination.

Lester_Burnham wrote:
- if you don't have a problem, nor see fit to complain, then why on earth read and contribute to such threads? To protest about other people complaining? How redundant is that...

I use these threads to help answer people's queries whenever I can, be constructive and promote and encourage the use of a piece of technology that I really enjoy.

Lester_Burnham wrote:
If you don't like what I write on the subject, then you are free to read it, ignore it, comment on it - do whatever you like.

Thank you Lester. Much appreciated. And I do like what you write. That is why I respond to it.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peloquin wrote:

I'd just like to say, err, thanks? At least I now know i'm not the only one with this happening!

Alan

Rest assured that it happens to all SatNav users and with each and every SatNav system out there regardless of its make.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
An in-car sat nav is something more than that. And it goes further..

Lester_Burnham wrote:
- but their purpose and use doesn't tend to be as real-time or crucial to fundamental purpose

What an argument that is. If you rely on SatNav to this extent then I would strongly suggest you use a good old paper map which won't take you through strange routes.

Of course I rely on sat nav like that - else why would I buy and use one?

It's more than simply a toy, or an entertainment device.

It's not just frills, it's there for a specific purpose, and to be relied on. If I can't rely on it, then Garmin aren't living up to their tag-lines.

Almahadeus wrote:
I also don't share your view that losing data on a DVD or PC is mere entertainment.

For many home users, it is.

When it's of greater importance, people tend to demand and build more resilience in. But you have a point with things like DVD recorders - people expect them to just work and they should just work, but in the digital age, things don't just work as they did in previous times with analogue devices.

If my DVD recorder screws up, or my Sky+ box does, I'll likely have an unusable recording. Going back in time, if a video recorder had problems, there would likely be something viewable, even if there was faults in some of it.

Almahadeus wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:

People should put their money where their mouths are.

I have done already - and the money I spent, should provide me with a product that if NOTHING ELSE, does it's core function without malfunction.

Almahadeus wrote:
Instead of "whinging", they should go and spend their money on a different product (if they can find one)

Why should I have to spend more money on something else? I spent good money on my i3, why should I have to accept excuses or apologists. It should Just Work.

This is a consummer device, not some enthusiast piece of technology or some bleeding-edge piece of kit.

Almahadeus wrote:
and not only go .........ohhhh I should have gone for TomTom one.

Who's saying that?

Were I in a position to need another sat nav, I will probably buy a Tom Tom One - and I've mentioned that before - but why should I HAVE TO, simply because the i3 can't seem to get the basics down pat, without having routing flaws, instability and crashing, and firmware versions that just seem to never get the thing finally fixed?

Almahadeus wrote:
Just go and get one for godness sake and they may learn a lesson or two about new technology.

I work with technology - day-in, day-out. I don't expect to have to be an apologist for a consumer device. This isn't some knocked together PDA sat nav solution, with a mix of customer chosen software and hardware to integrate. It's an off-the-shelf, standalone consumer device that should Just Work.

Too many people like yourself are willing to be apologists for flakey products, and excuse things based on either price, or the fobbing off by manufacturers.

Why would they even bother to address fixes in firmware, if people never complained about these devices and their faillings?

But never mind all that, just trust Almahadeus, stop whinging, and put-up and shut-up.

Reminds me of when on Mr Blair got into government, and his party played "Things can only get better" at their party celebrations.

Almahadeus wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
- it had sent me around in one big loop, and was about to do so for the second time, before I ignored it's current instructions, deviated, and made it recalculate...

And once people start going in circles then they should know that it is time to use their brain as you did, when the i3 finally took you to your destination.

Only when I totally overrode it.

Given it was going to send me on another big loop, I've not complete confidence it was going to get me there in the end.

And this has always been my gripe with the i3. When I use it with family in the car - they tend to be very skeptical and distrustful (and for good reasons, established over time and experience) of how well the i3 will get us to our destination. When you've got other people in the car, they do tend to be bothered about being sent around the houses, or clearly delayed - especially if time is a factor in the journey.

But according to you, we should either just put-up and shut-up, write-off the money spent on the i3, and buy another sat nav, or just go back to using maps. Kudos - you don't appear to have thought this through, but seem comfortable with it anyways...

Almahadeus wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
- if you don't have a problem, nor see fit to complain, then why on earth read and contribute to such threads? To protest about other people complaining? How redundant is that...

I use these threads to help answer people's queries whenever I can, be constructive and promote and encourage the use of a piece of technology that I really enjoy.

Smashing.

So how is wading in, telling people who have valid complaints, that they should stop "whinging", being constructive?

I'll give you a clue - it isn't. It's just churlishly arguing your opinion on something that apparently doesn't affect you.

One of the most pointless things I ever see, which only really tends to happen on the internet, or by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells letters to complaints programmes - but very rarely in Real Life.

Almahadeus wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
If you don't like what I write on the subject, then you are free to read it, ignore it, comment on it - do whatever you like.

Thank you Lester. Much appreciated. And I do like what you write. That is why I respond to it.

If I can make somebody's day brighter...
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
peloquin wrote:

Alan

Rest assured that it happens to all SatNav users and with each and every SatNav system out there regardless of its make.

...and apparently according to you, we should just accept that without question or complaint - it's apparently unreasonable to expect consumer electronics to Just Work - and / or write-off the money already spent and buy another, and just stop damn whining about it here, because it apparently get's right up your nose.

Really, why do you bother with such threads, if they don't affect you, and appear to irritate you so?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm with you Almahadeus......
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
i'm with you Almahadeus......

Good for you.
Trajet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester & Almahadeus,

I hope your discussions are not keeping you awake at night. Posting at 4.45am & 4.51am is serious, bordering on fanatical.... Laughing
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trajet wrote:
Lester & Almahadeus,

I hope your discussions are not keeping you awake at night. Posting at 4.45am & 4.51am is serious, bordering on fanatical.... Laughing

Can you feel the love in here... ?

You can rest assured, though, posting at that time of day was entirely coincidental - I'm a vampire ;-)
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trajet wrote:
Lester & Almahadeus,

Laughing Out Loud....... Thanks Trajet, Zogman and ...ahem... Lester. It's always worth it to stay up for you guys. Wink
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aww group hug everyone ;)

seriously, lets keep the debates going (they're always good) but try to steer away of the personal digs etc.

MaFt
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy '1000th' MaFt.... Cheers!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: