Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - mini review by newbie: tomtom one GB v2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

mini review by newbie: tomtom one GB v2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clansley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: mini review by newbie: tomtom one GB v2 Reply with quote

This is my first GPS system so I am unable to compare with other systems - I'm also a technical person (Software Engineer by trade) so my views might not be shared by those who are less technical.

I've wanted a satnav for many years but have never been able to justify the cost. At just under £200 - the feature set of the tt1 GB [v2] flipped the scales Wink

In short: I've had my tt1 GB [v2] for two weeks and I'm very impressed by it. The main let down is the mapping accuracy. [BTW - I haven't used any bluetooth/phone features]

Pros:

* No problems getting a GPS fix.
    * Compact, yet with a good sized screen.
    * Loud enough to be heard whilst playing my music.
    * Good screen with a clear layout.
    * Fast rerouting if current route is not followed. [Although a sound warning you that re-routing is taking part would be nice].
    * Customization: colours, voice, menus. [Even software - but shame they don't give the SDK away free to allow for open-source apps]
    * Mount - easy to fit/remove. Stays in place [but my longest journey is < 1hr - so YMMV].
    * Multiple ways to set up a route; postcode, street/city name, point on map, etc. Able to review route.
    * Can operate device via a PC (via Tomtom Home) as well.
    * Security features; 4 digit pin.
    * Safety features; turn off detailed map above a set speed.
    * Ready out of the box - I got my from halfords and used it for the drive home Smile

Cons:

* [Big issue/not tomtom specific] Mapping accuracy. Many mistakes, and most are for non-new (older than 2 years) roads; eg: there's a double roundabout near me which is older than 5 years but mapped as two T junctions. Mapping accuracy is not directly tomtom's fault - although they and other map data users should put pressure on the map suppliers.
    * [Big issue] Map updates. These are costly and infrequent - esp. considering the inaccuracy.
    * [Med issue] No way to say 'avoid single track roads' - these scare me. [Yup - I'm a wimp].
    * [Med issue] No way to save 'avoid this road' info with a route.
    * [Med Bug] Takes a very long time to switch on if it has been charging via USB. [Fine if switched on before charging/or charged via car]
    * [Med issue] Some routes are less than ideal; seems to go out of it's way to get to a motorway (even via a town center) if it thinks it's a few seconds faster. This may be due to mapping inaccuracies. The situation might improve if the traffic feature (which cost extra) was used.
    * [Med issue] Sometimes the instruction is given after the fact, i.e. I'm already 10 yards after a roundabout junction and it will say 'take the exit'.
    * [Nice to have] No way to make local corrections to mapping data. [ a local override file on the SD card would be well cool - esp. if tomtom uploaded it and made automatic real map corrections if multiple users agree].
    * [Nice to have/not tomtom specific] POIs appear to have patchy coverage and to be badly positioned. This limits their usefulness. [The only accurate POIs I've seen are the PGPSW speed cameras].
    * [Nice to have] No PC specific routing software available to plan routes before downloading to device (something like tomtom home but with a full screen UI would be great).

You would think the lack of mapping accuracy would kill the usefulness of a satnav system, but if you know to take it's directions as 'advice' and not as gospel then together with the fast rerouting feature you will get to your location!

Overall score: 8/10 (losing 2 because of mapping accuracy). [Would lose more points due to mapping inaccuracy if the unit was for my mother...]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: