Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sysonchip CF Plus II stopped working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sysonchip CF Plus II stopped working
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Sysonchip CF Plus II stopped working Reply with quote

Hi,

My Sysonchip CF Plus II has stopped working - I think. It was working just fine until I accidently let my IPAQ 2210 discharge completely with the CF GPS in it.

If for example I now run Winfast Navigator it detects the CF GPS fine and appears to be searching for sattelites. But it doesn't receive any signal at all.

Any help? Is it dead and how could this kill it?

Thanks,
Jesper
Graham8rdx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I posted the same problem and still have no fix... Do you have any more information... Rolling Eyes
Budgie39
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have a sysonchip Plus III which has exactly the same problem. I inadvertently let my ipaq2210 discharge and now the CF card won't work at all. I've tried it on all the different COM ports and also tried it with NMEA and SIRF and although the red LED comes on I get the message that there is 'no valid GPS signal'.

Have either of you found a fix to the problem as it's frustrating the hell out of me!

I have got a bluetooth tom tom receiver I can use but the CF card one is much more convenient so I'd like to get it working again if possible. I may mail syson to see if they can come up with anything. If they do I'll post a reply.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys just a thought if you put the cf card in the slot and then go to file explorer does file explorer see the gps card or have any of you been able to to get a cf storage card and put that in the cf slot to if the ipaq recognieses that if it doesnt another hard reset or thry reinstalling the rom image

this will wipe any data from the device so you will have to set it all up again might be worth a try. but putting a CF storage card in the CF slot to see if the ipaq sees the ceard is worth trying first

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Budgie39
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alix776.
I've just tried looking in File Explorer but it can't see either the CF GPS card or the SD card I have in with the maps on. I then tried a normal CF card and it doesn't see that either!
However, when I hooked up my Tom Tom GPS receiver (bluetooth) it found that and the navigation worked fine, so it's obviously finding the SD card OK for the maps. All very strange.

If I do decide to do a hard reset, how do I do it? I know how to do a soft one by pressing the small button on the back but have never had to do a hard reset.

Many thanks

Neil
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bear in mind YOU WILL LOOSE EVERYTHING FROM THE DEVICE if you do this

you have to pressand hold the stylus on the reset buttom aswell as hold ing down the power button untill the display dims from memory

device Lumia 950 xl
Budgie39
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was aware of that but thanks for the reminder! I don't use it for anything except GPS anyway so no major problem. Interestingly, I just did a soft reset and the SD card AND the normal CF card appeared in File Explorer. I've just put the GPS CF card back in and done a soft reset again but although the SD card is still showing, there is no CF card. Should the GPS CF show? The red light comes on it when setting it up in TomTom so it obviously knows it is there in some form.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil, the CF GPS unit will not show up in File Explorer, the fact the red light is comming on when you are trying to configure it would sugest its working, from your previous post I think it might be worth making sure you have reset the CF GPS to output NMEA data, if it is in SiRF mode then TomTom will simply not see the data. - Mike
Budgie39
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for confirming Mike. I have now done a hard reset and reinstalled everything. TomTom Navigator 5 is loading OK and the red LED is coming on on the GPS unit but it's still the same i.e. it won't find any satellites in TomTom.
I have contacted SysOn and they suggested that I do a 'Factory Reset' which I have done, but unfortunately, still the same problem.

When I go into TomTom and 'Configure' the receiver I only get four receiver types to choose from: TomTom wireless receiver, TomTom wired, other Bluetooth or NMEA. I presume I choose the NMEA one? Am I correct? This then allows me to choose the SysOn option on the next screen.

Interestingly, when in GPS viewer, the only time it finds any satellites is when in Sirf mode and even that is intermittent.

I'm starting to think that the discharge of the PDA battery has somehow corrupted the receiver. It is still under warranty so I could return it for repair/replacement which may be my only option. However, if I can avoid that it would be better.

Many thanks guys for your help so far!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for tomtom to see the receiver you need to switch the receiver from SIRF to NEMA with in tomtom use OTHER WIRED NEMA GPS

device Lumia 950 xl
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to "Switch" the GPS unit back to NMEA mode, to do this I use the GPS driver from TomTom version 3, its a standalone application that will work in its own right, you can download it from HERE use version 2,06. (Please note this is not an upgrade to the GPS driver used with TomTom version 5 - it is an application in its own right)

Once on the device run up the software (it will show up in programs and resembles a satelite dish) establish a connection to the GPS unit in SiRF mode, select SiRF from the dropdown box, then use the software to select NMEA protocol, once your data is coming through and displaying positional data in NMEA mode simply exit this application then run up TomTom 5, use the "Other Cable NMEA GPS", set the correct Baud speed (consult the manual if you are not too sure), then select the actual device from the list of ports on the last GPS set-up page
Budgie39
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

The syson GPS viewer allows me to change over from Sirf to NMEA but it doesn't seem to be very good software and I'm not convinced it is doing what it should do.
I've had a look at the GPS driver from TT3. However, once I've downloaded the CAB file, do I transfer that across from my PC to the PDA or extract the files within it and transfer those across? If so, which folder do I put them in?

Sorry for appearing stupid but I normally transfer files using a setup.exe file and there wasn't one in there!

Thanks for your help, it is appreciated.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy the CAB file across to the PPC put it in a known location and then use File Explorer on the PPC to find the CAB file, once you have it displayed simply tap it and it will install the application straight to the device - Mike
Budgie39
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone following this post, I am pleased to say that with the help of Mike I have now got the GPS unit up and running. SysOnChip did respond to my e-mail and suggested doing a factory reset in GPS Viewer, which I did. I then did a hard rest of the Ipaq and reloaded TT3 and then the TT5 upgrade. It didn't seem to be successful and Mike suggested loading the TT3 GPS viewer which allowed me to set the correct GPS unit. Still nothing happened until I started to increase the baud in the 'Configure' screen in TomTom. When I set it to 38400, it then started to locate the satellites and whilst it took a while to fix on them as it was a cold start, it did it successfully. I did a long journey today and it performed faultlessly all the way there and back!

So I'm now a happy bunny and would just like to extend my thanks to Mike again for his help. I will make sure that the battery doesn't go flat on the Ipaq again, although if it does at least I'll know how to get it all working again! :D
clsxl16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have the same problem with my CF Plus receiver. I have been using TomTom 5 quite happily since it was released but now am unable to get a fix. I've tried all the suggestions posted so far including a hard reset and just installing Winfast Navigator. A factory reset using Winfast Navigator produces data in the Development view but the string produced for the GPRMC line from the NMEA sentence contains a lot of commas. In Dave Burrows' Tweaking and Testing your GPS Receiver tutorial at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/winfastnavigatorppc.php this would appear to indicate there is a problem with the receiver.

Is there anything else I can do to prove this?

Thanks

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: