Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Rider going back
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Rider going back
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CheesyMike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Rider going back Reply with quote

I'm taking my TomTom Rider back today for a refund. It is just too flawed for me to want to stick with it.

The unit has locked up several times on the splash screen running 6.1 software so it has now been downgraded to version 5.4. Unfortunately this version doesn't work well with bluetooth on my phone.

I have managed to get the unit to lockup twice when navigating to a POI - petrol station.

There are a number of critical mapping errors that have annoyed me. My office, for example, which has been in existence for 5 years isn't in the postcode database.

I really don't like or trust the mount, it is too flimsy and none of the mounting options really suit my bike (BMW R1150GS).

The in-helmet headset is inaudible above 50mph. The microphones on both headsets are next to useless.

Hopefully as I have only had the unit a couple of weeks there won't be any problem getting a refund out of Comet.

So now it's a case of waiting for the Garmin Zumo to launch in the UK.

Mike
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really haven't heard many complaints about the RIDER, especially as far reachign as yours. I thought the new firmware was really supposed to have helped the device, at least that's what I gathered from people's comments around here.
CheesyMike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wanted the Rider to work - and when it did it was superb, but in 6 years of Garmin ownership I never had a single lockup or crash. OK I didn't have bluetooth or anything fancy like that, but it simply did what it said on the tin with an almost boring level of reliability.

I think I'm going to wait for the Garmin Zumo to ship in the UK before getting another GPS for the bike - even if it is almost twice the price of the Rider Sad

b.t.w. Comet rolled over like puppies and refunded my money with no problem.

Mike
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad about the RIDER. Maybe you just got a faulty device b/c I've heard most people are very happy with theirs.
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidHobbs wrote:
I really haven't heard many complaints about the RIDER, especially as far reachign as yours.

Well David,

I've got a list of complaints with the function and reliability of my Rider. So much so that despite being a loyal TomTom user since the days of TTN2, and a considerable investment in their kit, I am seriously considering changing.

The function of the bluetooth dongle is particularly diabolical. Mine's mounted in the boot of my bike and wired into an Autocom. Why do I have to worry about charge level instead of being able to leave it permanently powered? Why does it have to disconnect itself from the Rider every time I stop for lunch and need manually reconnecting?

I have no problem with lock-ups but have had two docks fail to charge the head unit. The last after only three weeks. If I was riding a rough vibratey old V twin I could perhaps have a bit of sympathy, but a Wing? A satnav won't get a much easier ride than that.

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea.

The Rider promised so much but in every way, except being waterproof, my old iPaq 2210 was a more functional bit of kit.

Does that redress the balance a bit? :D
Wing1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
Just like to add my two pence worth, At the moment my rider is with Tomtom for repair, it is only two months old and already has started to switch itself on and off while riding along, and worse it stopped charging while traveling to a treffen in Luxemburg. and the first warning you get is the low batt warning, and by that time it is too late. Tomtom have had it for 3 Weeks so far !. There is a definite design problem with the contacts between the docking shoe and the rider unit.

Rider Ver 6.15
Maps of Western Europe
Mounted on GL1500se Wing
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had this and saw someone with a rider to test my one and it was the shoe so i sent it back a got a new one ,time at tom tom was 2 days total time was 5 days useing the suport tab on they web-site
Wing1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told Tomtom that the problem was with the docking shoe but they insisted that both the shoe and the rider were returned for testing. Did the new shoe rectify the problems on yours ?

BTW If bigfatjohn is interested Kennedy Cellset do an interface for the wing that charges the BT unit for 3Hrs immediately after being switched off automatically.

------------------------------

Rider with Ver 6.15
Maps Of Western Europe
Mounted on a GL1500se Wing
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing1,

Thanks for that. I was aware.

I asked TomTom why we could not automatically charge the dongle and they lied to me. They said that it was simply not possible due to the design. When I drew their attention to the Kennedy interface, and even gave them the link, they got all pompous and started making dire threats about warranty. As if I care!

They have an attitude problem as well. They told me that the dongle battery was good for eleven hours and that that was long enough for anybody to ride in a day. Well excuse me, if I want to troll off to the south of France in one hit, about sixteen hours, that's my business. The sad fact is that the Rider just isn't up to the job.

It's a great, great shame because the parts of the Rider that do work are excellent and it is only let down by niggling details.

They really need to employ somebody who actually rides a bike to point them in the right direction.
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes all fixed and as been ok for 1 week and 2000 miles and 30 trips all over england in the rain
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courierman wrote:
yes all fixed and as been ok for 1 week and 2000 miles and 30 trips all over england in the rain

So, would you say you've had a positive experience with the RIDER so far?
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes ... but for the way Tom Tom drop 250 off the price in the 5 months, 1 was 100 2 weeks after i got my one now i'm so pist at them for the 140 off it 2 weeks ago
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick run around France at the weekend and my Rider head charging is still intermittent, more off than on though.

Oh well, an email to TomTom I suppose. Sad
bikerchris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: tomtom rider Reply with quote

Had the same problem - sent docking shoe back to tomtom and received a new one this week but still having the same problem - keeps switching itself off and not charging. Has anyone tried a new battery cable? not sure if this is where the problem might be.
Wing1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have not had my new docking shoe delivered, but do not hold much hope of it solving the problem. I think the whole problem with the Rider is between the head unit and the docking shoe, too much movement allowing the contacts to make and break hence the switching on and off. As this is obviously a design fault by Tomtom it is up to them to come up with a remedy, because as it is now it is not fit for the purpose it was sold for.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: