Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GTM21 traffic issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GTM21 traffic issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captureboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just tried to extend my Garmin Camera Subscription but was told it was unable to charge to my (debit) card. Why is this and who do I contact as it is not Garmin that supply the camera updates.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

idiot wrote:
Is this TMC coverage an issue with all PNDs with built in/add on receivers or are Garmin in the firing line alone?
Is across the board - TomTom are already planning v2 of their TMC receiver, Navman have similar problems (but their unit comes with a removable antenna, allowing easier connection to better aerials / in to the car aerial feed).
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
idiot wrote:
Is this TMC coverage an issue with all PNDs with built in/add on receivers or are Garmin in the firing line alone?
Is across the board - TomTom are already planning v2 of their TMC receiver, Navman have similar problems (but their unit comes with a removable antenna, allowing easier connection to better aerials / in to the car aerial feed).

Meanwhile garmin contiue to claim there's no problems and their hardware & software are perfect...

They ignore me now when I raise tickets with their helpless system (Except the one where I asked if we could have the traffic info back on the map screen. The guy from the US who responded to that one seemed quite helpful (He's probably been sacked now)).
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamie wrote:
(Except the one where I asked if we could have the traffic info back on the map screen. The guy from the US who responded to that one seemed quite helpful).
Out of interest - is this likely, or did they just thank you "for your feedback, which may or may not make it into a future release"?
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just plugged the wire into the main car aerial and it totally fixed the problem for me. Can't do any harm so give it a go.

I have a Merc with the aerial as part of the rear demister.

cheers,
Paul
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulJSmith wrote:
Hi,

I just plugged the wire into the main car aerial and it totally fixed the problem for me. Can't do any harm so give it a go.

Only problem with the Garmin is that you have to void your warranty to do this... I raised a support call asking them if they'd continue to honour my warranty if I added a plug to my GTM-21 to connect to my aerial feed (BMW528 '98), but they've ignored me totally on the request...

Great customer service...
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No strictly so. You can pull of the small black button at the end of the aerial. Strip the wire and attach it to car. If you then have a warrantly problem you can cut off 1/2" of wire to de-expose the bare core and re-push the black bit on. No one would ever notice that the wire is 1/2" shorter. They probably have the tolerence in the manufactiuring anyway.

Deny all knowlege and you would then be fine is my guess.

Paul
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulJSmith wrote:
No strictly so. You can pull of the small black button at the end of the aerial.

Ahh... Thanks for that. I didn't realise the black button was a simple push on/pull off affair. In that case, I'll be doing a mod tonight or tomorrow...

have to goto Bristol on satuday, and if I get caught in traffic my wife will kill me (She's grading for her black belt in TKD sat morning Smile

H
JoshT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishful thinking I know - but wouldn't it be good if Garmin came up with an adaptor for GTM12/21 so you could either use it in its current mode or use an adaptor to connect it either into external car aerial (a-la GTM10)

Tried my 660 + gtm21 today from J8/9 to J11 of M4 - still no luck with reception Sad
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshT wrote:
Wishful thinking I know - but wouldn't it be good if Garmin came up with an adaptor for GTM12/21 so you could either use it in its current mode or use an adaptor to connect it either into external car aerial (a-la GTM10)

That would be lovely... Pie in the sky wish though. I can't see garmin doing much. garmin advertise the unit... People buy the Nuvi's still. The GTM-21 supplied with it is incapable of working as advertised. And sadly the advertysing standards people don't seem to be interested either. Nor do watchdog. Not sure why I bother.

Quote:

Tried my 660 + gtm21 today from J8/9 to J11 of M4 - still no luck with reception Sad

Is that with mods? I'm planning on getting a splitter & using my car aerial, which is amplified (From 3 different sources). Then I'll feed that to a mini-mcx or similiar mounted on the front of the radio display (Plenty of room on it), then attach a mini-mcx to the GTM-21 string, and see how that goes...
JoshT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamie wrote:

Is that with mods? I'm planning on getting a splitter & using my car aerial, which is amplified (From 3 different sources). Then I'll feed that to a mini-mcx or similiar mounted on the front of the radio display (Plenty of room on it), then attach a mini-mcx to the GTM-21 string, and see how that goes...

No ...Just the useless standard GTM21
RichK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm honestly not sure any of this is just a problem with the GTM21. I've had a GTM10 for a week...

Day 1, out of the box, worked like a dream.
Day 2 - no traffic reports, but hundreds of messages reported on the diagnostics screen.
Day 3 - no messages at all on diagnostics

Result -150 notes for a little yellow led winking at me.

I've tried every suggestion posted on these forums, and I'd have to be sat in jams for a week to lose as much time as I have on this pile of horse poo.

I will NEVER buy a Garmin product again, ever - and this is after years of using Garmin's running products happily. They are complete idiots.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichK - out of interest, what GTM firmware version have you put onto the GTM10? Also, what area of the country are you in / are you having problems with the unit?
RichK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

Yes, I think the firmware is a variable in this. Here's what happened in more detail

1) Out of the box, everything working, lots of nice messages about traffic delays on the A57 at Hyde etc.

Firmware 3.9 (I'm aware this a 'bad' one). Location, Sheffield. Didn't check the diagnostics so unsure of signal strength.

2) Next day - I'd moved around a bit, but after returning to Sheffield, no traffic. Lots of messages coming in on the diagnostics and a high signal.

Can this have been caused by moving around and then the unit getting locked to Classic? I read something about this but have forgotten the details.

3) I then 'upgraded' the firmware to 4.1, and from then on the unit has not picked up a single message, flashing yellow and occasional gren/red flashing.

I'm usually in the sheffield area when I'm testing it, although I live in Castleton - I'm fairly sure there's no reception here so I have to go out to test it out. I pick up signals of more than 10 from about Hope onwards.

I also believe the power cable might be a problem - it is not one of the serial numbers that have been mentioned on the "big thread". TBH I can't face contacting Garmin and so I'm going to get hold of a grey motorola charger, try that and then give up.

Thanks Swing!

R
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshT wrote:
Hamie wrote:

No ...Just the useless standard GTM21

I find if you crawl at around 5km/hr down the west bound slip road of J8/9 of the M4 you can get a lock that lasts for at least 2 TMC messages...

Not sure that counts as full coverage of course...

I have pulled the black button off, and now I'm looking for a decent method to extend it... I'd buy asplitter, but I need to verify what sort of connector my car aerial as, and that means dismantling a few bits... Might be more than a week... Although I might pop down to Halfords/maplins in maidenhead tonight & see what aerials they've got in stock to try it & see whether a temporary one would work as well...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15

Jump to: