Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GTM21 traffic issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GTM21 traffic issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heuer wrote:
I also have a Trafficmaster colour monitor fitted and that gets its data feed from the blue roadside camera transmitters. These provide traffic updates (every three minutes) and car location data.
Splitting hairs here, but the TM YQ Color doesn't get the signal direct from the blue posts - they send the data back to TM who process it. Although the blue posts do transmit information, they only provide localised information to the mainly non-subscription TM devices - the YQ units get their data via a packet data radio network.
Heuer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are of course quite correct on the YQ data feed - putting it in service mode allows a full audit of where the transmissions are from.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coo - how do you put a YQ unit into service mode? By PM if you don't want to publish here...
Heuer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't for the life of me remember! Installer showed me how to do it (combination of menu item and +/- keys) brings up a scrolling list of the data feeds and whether they are corrupted or complete. Played with it for a while but I got bored with it and have not tried it for 12 months.

I'll have a play and see if I can remember and report back.
deano777
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went out and bought a 610T today Smile comes with the GTM21, download two updates for the device one for the general software version 3.3? from memory and also a traffic update, both of these updates applied when i switched it on. After it had got a GPS fix 30-60 seconds later i got traffic information Smile not been any where with it yet, will be next week.

I'm in Telford, Shropshire.

cheers
Deano777
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When there is a traffic delay, which wasn't detected on initially calculating the route, my Nuvi 660 tells me the delay in minutes which is good. Is it then up to you whether to go another way and do you have to then recalculate a new route?

I know there is an option for avoid traffic - but it seems it doesn't do this on the fly.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New 660/GTM21 user here.

Only managing to pick up Classic FM (101.1) around the Warrington area - so not getting traffic information at all. Will look at connecting GTM21 aerial to car aerial/booster amp (it's a VW). Not been on a long run yet - will do next week.

To be honest the TMC was a bonus on the 660 - I don't do half the milage I used to do now - but it would be nice to get it to work.
An-D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do. Long time listener, first time caller.

I've got the same story as most of the other people in this thread. Bought a 510D from Halfords in Dec. TMC kind of worked - for a bit. Upgraded to 3.9 and nothing since.

I cunningly (or so I thought) took my unit back to Halfords today with a tale of "Garmin told me to check these sekrit screens and concluded that the unit was duff" and got a nice new one with V4.1 and GTMV3.7

Had the GTM21 aerial stuck out of the car window for about 3 hours now scanning for traffic stations and getting all. Which is surprising considering I live less than 3 miles from one of the transmitters listed in the other thread (Rock FM)

Its kinda nice in an odd way to know that I'm not alone...but sooooo frustrating!!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Rock FM actually transmitt any data the station you should be watching for is Century FM on 105,4 (or channel number 179 in Garmin code), that being Winter Hill its a bit more than three miles away but you should still pick it up - Mike
An-D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

Is there any way you can manually select a station? I can see winter hill's aerial from my house
citron
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: traffic gtm 21 Reply with quote

An-D
First make sure you have latest traffic software loaded - version 3.7
Then connect your unit to the gtm 21 then goto settings -traffic! - Subscriptions- and you should see TM TMC (UK). select this one and you should be OK , - - - provided you have a good signal !!!!!.
I have found that If I switch the unit on whilst on The North Wales coast I get a good signal and the unit seems to lock onto it as I go inland. I still get traffic messages at home which is 12 mile inland but if I switch it off at home and then back on almost immediately -- No signal !!
It appears to me that you have to get a good signal initially then the unit will hang on to it until switched off.
I switched on whilst on the Promenade at LLandudno last night and it was showing traffic over the cheshire area mostly at a stand still !

Hope this helps
Citron
An-D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Citron

I've got 3.7 and V4 loaded but it appears my 510 appears to be a bit coy in offering me anything to select.

When I access the subscriptions screen, I have 3 services available as below:

When I return to the previous screen to try and select one of them, the only option available is Auto. When I select it, I only get an Auto option with a radio button that I cannot switch on..

That said, I've just switched the blasted thing on now to get the screengrabs off it and the radio button is now selected without any input from me at all... Grrr Laughing Out Loud
citron
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Just realised that you have a 510, mine is a 660 which used to show RAC as an option together with Tm TFC ( traffic master) and a trial for a french service. always if I selected auto it would go onto TM TFC so i guess if you leave yours on auto it should eventually work ???!!
Since downloading latest software RAC is not listed?
Good luck !! Question Rolling Eyes
Nonny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two Trafficmaster coverage maps on Garmin's website. One seems to be for the free service and shows 'limited' coverage' nationwide: http://www.garmin.com/products/gtm11/coverage.jsp#uk, and the other for the subscription service and shows both 'full' and 'limited' coverage nationwide: https://shop.garmin.com/fmtraffic/select_service_plan.asp?L=EN&CR=2&PR=2.

This suggests that the free service is inferior to the subscription service. I've asked Garmin whether this is the case and am waiting on a response.

Get good traffic reception at home in Sheffield, but none at all on a journey from Sheffield to Lincoln yesterday!

Apparantly, there is a new GTM software update due soon (version 4.20). Hopefully it will help!?

Are there any other subscription services that will work with the Nuvi?

Nuvi 660
SW 3.6
GPS SW 2.90
GTM SW 4.10
GTM21
idiot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not convinced by Garmins traffic attempt,TomTom has less wires but better coverage with GPRS connection but obviously you pay the data costs too.

Is this TMC coverage an issue with all PNDs with built in/add on receivers or are Garmin in the firing line alone?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15

Jump to: