Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bluetooth GPS receiver- big range of speeds
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluetooth GPS receiver- big range of speeds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinpusher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth GPS receiver- big range of speeds Reply with quote

I have a Dell Axim X51, looking to pair it with a BT GPS receiver.

The thing is, I need the receiver to be able to cope with speeds from walking (for when I'm traipsing up and down mountains) to flying a KingAir at 250-300mph. For both of these applications I will be using Memory Map.

In between, I intend to pair it with Destinator 6 (or other) to warn me about "Safety" Cameras.

I've been looking at Daisy Technology's (http://www.gpssolutions.biz/?navigate=bluetooth) BT GPS receiver and it seems, practically, to be the way to go.

Two questions then:

1. should the choice of GPS receiver be affected by the large range in speeds?

2. to what extent does the chipset and the protocol determine how suitable the GPS receiver is for low and high speed applications?

Many thanks in advance. I use GPS all the time in my work (aerial surveying) but this, quite literally, is rocket science to me!!!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth GPS receiver- big range of speeds Reply with quote

Tinpusher wrote:
1. should the choice of GPS receiver be affected by the large range in speeds?

2. to what extent does the chipset and the protocol determine how suitable the GPS receiver is for low and high speed applications?

The receivers will all work fine at a large range of speeds. I've used my Garmin GPS at speeds of up to 686 MPH with no problems! They do have a max speed but I think it is well past supersonic so you should be OK in the KingAir. ;) When flying, the GPS shows your actual "Speed Over Ground", but I'm pretty sure you will be well aware of that.

As for slow speeds (ie walking) watch out for the "Static Navigation" feature on Sirf III GPS units - you want to switch SN off if you are walking or it will only update your position every 50 meters or so. :x I'm pretty sure memory map is aware of this and they have a tool to do it for you.
Tinpusher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link... damn, that's some flight I'd like to do. 686mph at 28ft! (I've done 200mph at 50ft, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHIoqcJTgzA

Thanks also for that information. I'm aware of the SiRF III Static Nav issue. Kind of put me off getting something with the SiRF chipset. I was hoping to get something whose output is NMEA 0183. Does this provide a solution to the Static Nav issue (without the faff of turning SN on/off manually)?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NMEA protocol that most GPS devices use for communication outputs speed in knotts, the software on the PDA or PC converts this to MPH or KPH. There is an upper limmit from memory it is in the order of 1800 knotts (not many aircraft currently flying can get any where near that! )

Beware of using the Memory Map application to switch the SN on and Off. I have found it works fine on WM2003SE devices, but with WM2005 it leaves the reciever in SiRF mode, so I also use the early TomTom GPS driver (vs 2.06) to switch it back to NMEA mode once the SN mode has toggled to what I need.

Go for a decent SiRF-III equipped GPS device, they are better in terms of sensitivity, I would also check that the operation of Bluetooth doesn't cause any malfunction to the aircraft coms, AP, ILS etc if in doubt go for a cabled reciever instead - Mike
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinpusher wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHIoqcJTgzA).
Quote:
The url contained a malformed video id.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinpusher wrote:
damn, that's some flight I'd like to do. 686mph at 28ft!

Laughing No, it was more like 37,000 ft but that screen shot was taken after the flight when I was back on terra firma and shows the maximum recorded speed.

Tinpusher wrote:
I'm aware of the SiRF III Static Nav issue. Kind of put me off getting something with the SiRF chipset. I was hoping to get something whose output is NMEA 0183. Does this provide a solution to the Static Nav issue (without the faff of turning SN on/off manually)?

Pretty much all GPS units will output NMEA format, they can also do Sirf mode but not many applications use it. Many of the GPS units available today use the Sirf chipset so they will all need the static nav switching off.

In theory, once you have switched static navigation off, it should stay off so it shouldn't be a problem. But if you run the battery dead then the reciever can lose it's settings and you have to switch it off again. It really shouldn't be such a problem unless you run the battery dead.

Quote:
The url contained a malformed video id.

In the original post the url was in () and one of these gets grabbed as part of the url. This this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHIoqcJTgzA

Lovely scenic flight. How come you were so close to the ground at the end? 8O
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original video link sorted - Mike
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Many of the GPS units available today use the Sirf chipset so they will all need the static nav switching off. 8O

Hi,

I think most of the SiRF GPSs now available have SN switched OFF by default (because of the slow speed limitations). But some car navigation software may turn it ON, although SN was more applicable to SiRF2. So, Tinpusher, don't be put off getting a SiRF3 receiver (but heed the warnings from Mike and others).

However, if you don't want a SiRF receiver, some people are now favouring Nemerix or MTK chipset devices, which may not have the sensitivity of SiRF, but might give more stable location data or longer running times, etc.. We're eagerly waiting for a detailed comparison here.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
Tinpusher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting replies- thank you.

I am more amenable now to getting a SiRF chipset GPS.

Quote:
Pretty much all GPS units will output NMEA format, they can also do Sirf mode but not many applications use it.

This is interesting to me, because I have a couple of applications that use the NMEA input (e.g. Garmin's Flightbook application). Can you expand on this?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinpusher wrote:
This is interesting to me, because I have a couple of applications that use the NMEA input (e.g. Garmin's Flightbook application). Can you expand on this?

Sure.

NMEA has become the de-facto standard for GPS use.

In practice, virtually every GPS receiver outputs (or has the option to output) NMEA and virtually every Sat Nav system or "GPS Aware" program accepts (or has the option to accept) NMEA input.

:D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: