Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fast 2GB SD card bargain price?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fast 2GB SD card bargain price?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Fast 2GB SD card bargain price? Reply with quote

I just came across the following and felt as though I should pass it on.

Amazon.co.uk are currently selling a 2GB DataWrite SD card for £17.70 (or 1p cheaper if you like using PixMania).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000H627ZI/ref=pd_rvi_gw_1/026-3214034-2772431?ie=UTF8

This is what one person had to say about it:-

"A Great SD Card, Bought for my TomTom and works great it also works in my Digital Camera. Its also High speed which for some reason Amazon have forgot to mention this in the description 160x Read And 133x Write."
Macbobby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Fast 2GB SD card bargain price? Reply with quote

Quote:
"[i]A Great SD Card, Bought for my TomTom and works great it also works in my Digital Camera. Its also High speed which for some reason Amazon have forgot to mention this in the description 160x Read And 133x Write."

I got nowhere near the read and write speeds claimed by SVP for this card and found it to be considerably slower to load/delete on my card reader than a standard Kingston. Also you need to have the very latest firmware on your TomTom for the card to work. But after saying that it did work on my TomTom GO 300 with the Western Europe map v606 (1.4GIG)
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its all nonsense i think.. 40x 66x 133x 170x ..

yesterday i ran a test on five different makes of card.. new usb reader and fast computer.. all different so called speed ratings..

i didnt write them all down but here is the results of three of them..

2.40.. 581 meg hd to flash 218 mpm or 3.3 mps kingston keymem 2gb.. cost 17 quid..

3.15.. 581 meg hd to flash.. 178 mpm or 2.9 mps photoflash ultra11 170x 2gb cost 25 quid..

3.20.. 581 meg hd to flash 174 mpm or 2.9 mps unbranded OC/UK 1gb.. cost 11 quid..

they were roughly the same with the cheapo kingston being the quickest by a small-ish amount..

one thing to note is they all "read" several times faster than they "write".. cameras do lots of "writeing" tomtoms mostly do "reading"..

but the so called speed rating are to be taken with a pinch of salt.. market demands tend to govern the price and labels of such things

they are all probably made in some huge great chinese fabrication plant anyways.. he he he

its the same with some modern cpus.. one product to cover all the marketing segments.. a far more similar product then anybody would dare dream.. just stuck in dfferent boxes with different labels and prices and aimed at differemt market segments..

trog
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Datawrite aren't using Highspeed as a marketing ploy it's only when you open the packaging that it tells you Read/Write speeds or check their website that you get the specs of the card http://www.datawrite.co.uk/pdf/datawrite_memory_cards.pdf

The Datawrite 2GB SD Card from Amazon works very well in my TomTom 510 and is definitely more responsive that the original TomTom SD Card.

At that price you can't go wrong.
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it claims 20mbs for writes

the best i can get is about 3mbs.. and thats useing a claimed 170x speed card and copying a 500 meg file from my pc to sd via a usb 2 reader..

the speed of a card is easy to test just copy a known file size to one and time how long it takes..

out of curiosity.. which part of your tomtom feels more "responsive"..

does anybody else have any figures for varying card write/write speeds.. my tests had reads far faster than writes by a factor of 5-ish..

but there is big difference between my aparent 3mbs and claims of 20mbs..

as u say at the price u cant go wrong.. i am just trying to make sense of what to me seem silly speed claims..

if i could find a reasonably priced card that went twice as fast as a normal one i would be happy chappy.. but so far all i am finding is nonsense speed claims.. and weird prices..

my concern isnt for a tomtom i think anything will do for one of those to be honest..

trog
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's feels more responsive when reading the map and theirs less lag that you sometime's get when selecting an option. It also starts up quicker than it did with the original card.

I agree that the speed as which is claimed by some manufacture's can be a bit misleading, And if for say you used a standed speed SD Card which apparently are around 8x Read/4x Write. The Highspeed SD cards should be in theory about 10/12 x faster which they certainly aren't.

I have also tried a standed Lexar SD Card in my 510 and it is slower than both the Original TomTom and Datawrite SD Cards.

As you say their probably not as fast as claimed but in my opinion the Datawrite card is a great performer and works well in my 510.
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to add to this "strangeness"..

i just tried an old 512 lexar card i have had for about eighteen months..

useing a smaller 100 meg file it took about 15 seconds to copy from my hard disk to the card..

all the bigger cards took over 30 seconds for the same file.. the old lexar is twice as fast.. he he

and just for interest i emptied my original 128 meg tomtom go card and tested that.. it took over two minutes to copy the 100 mege file to it.. thats four times as slow as the 1 and 2 gig cards i have and eight times as slow as the old 512 lexar..

so whatever kind or speed sd cards tomtom are useing.. speedwise they aint even in the same ball park as the average cheapo card.. he he he

so it isnt surprising your tomtom feels more responsive.. he he he

course now i need to empty my new 1 gig euro map card and try that.. he he he

trog
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just done tests on the new 1 gig tomtom euro map card..

it took 15 seconds to copy the 100 meg file to it.. that puts it in the fast lane and compares to my old lexar card..

they have probably had to use a reasonably fast card cos of the very large euro map..

but it does suggest anybody that has the older UK 128 tomtom cards will get a faster boot up time and perhaps a more responsive tomtom time by useing a better sd card..

the 128 meg UK tomtom card is eight times slower than the 1 gig tomtom euro card.. i dont think its the size just a very slow card they were useing..

trog
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the risk of being boring one final tests i just ran was to put the euro stuff on one the regular or slower 1 gig card..

tomtom performs just the same.. so i am gonna pinch the euro tomtom faster card for my new digital slr which will benifit from the fast writes..

so have have found a proven faster card at a reasonable price.. a "free" one.. old tomtom can make do with one of the "claimed" faster ones.. being as he dosnt do much writing mostly reading.. he he

trog
rugrat2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote trogg for testing technician of the pgws site..... :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: