Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Am I crazy, or is my i3 "learning"?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I crazy, or is my i3 "learning"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveapp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be reasonably simple to add this functionality to an i3, all the basic components are already in place, the i3 must use average speed to calculate routes and times, and you can already select between fastest and shortest, so it is switchable and some calculation is already performed.

As the speed is constantly displayed, and the device knows roughly what class of road its on - it would be an incredibly trivial task to add an extra routine to sample the speed and update the average speed for the class of road.

A better way would be to alter the average speed for the class of road very slightly, but alter the known average speed for that portion of road more accurately, disregarding any anomalous data - though this would involve a lot more storage and complexity than at present.

Sadly, unless someone knows a bod on the Garmin software dev team we are never really going to get an answer to this, but a couple of things might help here.

Firstly, this is a cheap simple unit, i suspect if it had learning algorithms built in it would plaster this fact over every bit of advertising, and box space possible - and going from the fastest / shortest option i would expect a slightly diferent option set of shortest - default fastest - learnt fastest route.

The second is the simple test as (i think) suggested earlier, but under more scientific conditions.

Buy two identical units (same batch numbers, maps etc) install them in the same vehicle next to each other. Use only one on normal driving for several hundred miles - then turn both on. Let them both settle down and get a good lock - turned on for at least 20 minutes to be sure (even if they look ok) then doing some decent length route calculations - and see how they compare.

I would expect them to be identical (ish) if there is no learning - and if there is learning - the one that was used for a few hundred miles first will make a better job of things.

The other way would be to download and reverse engineer the source code, not something I fancy tackling, and im not sure it would be legal either :-)

If anyone ever owned Microsoft Autoroute they might remember that it could have the speeds for different road types adjusted, this made very good and accurate timings surprisingly easy - and thats old software by todays standards.

Stephen
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveapp wrote:
If anyone ever owned Microsoft Autoroute they might remember that it could have the speeds for different road types adjusted, this made very good and accurate timings surprisingly easy - and thats old software by todays standards.
Early versions of TomTom PDA had similar options, but generally the manufacturers have moved towards simlper interfaces as the products have moved more mainstream, and away from techies who like and want that extra level of customisation (and will read the manual to understand the implications of changing the settings).

As for the whole "does the i3 have this" - I suspect it might - Garmin seem to share a lot of their routing code across all models (which makes sense) and hence it's probably already there - as everyone says - someone needs to take 2 units, one a few months old and the other brand new / hard reset and see what the differences are.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
This post, however, says it does not use the learned information for routing, only for ETA, and certainly I've seen different routes between my Nuvi and Mapsource, so I think there is some intelligence going on in there...

Mind you, I've felt similar thoughts about early PDA versions of TomTom, that on a return journey seemed to favour the route you have just driven to get somewhere, even if it wasn't the route it recommended...

It does bear note that you are talking about the Nuvi, whereas this thread is about the i3.

Clearly the Nuvi is a more expensive, more sophisticated, and newer chipset GPS than the i3.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Pirbright in Surrey my I3 would route me through Brookwood to the A322, I take a quicker route and ignore the "lady on the satellite" after two or three times the I3 directed me on the route of my choice. Near Sunningdale I make a similar move and again the 13 started to route me on my preferred choice.
When I changed to mainly using a nuvi it routed me on the original I3 route, after two or 3 trips ignoring the nuvi's route, it routed me on my route the same as the I3.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:
From Pirbright in Surrey my I3 would route me through Brookwood to the A322, I take a quicker route and ignore the "lady on the satellite" after two or three times the I3 directed me on the route of my choice. Near Sunningdale I make a similar move and again the 13 started to route me on my preferred choice.
When I changed to mainly using a nuvi it routed me on the original I3 route, after two or 3 trips ignoring the nuvi's route, it routed me on my route the same as the I3.

I suspect that's not learning, it's simply inconsistencies or closeness in the routes.

I've been over this quite a lot with Garmin - they've been adamant to me (ridicule is nothing to be scared of ;-)) that it won't / can't learn in terms of routing.

They do say that any variance is simply down to the closeness of the alternative routes, in terms of how they / the i3 calculates them.

I have noticed that 3.20 seems much more consistent in the routes it picks - and in fairness, it does claim that in the firmware details.
mk_graham
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So......
Quote:
Am I crazy, or is my i3 "learning"?

......you're crazy
---
TomTom Go 720 WE Maps (for sale)
---
iPhone with Sygic Mobile Maps (Europe) - having problems

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: