Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I3 firmware 3.20
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I3 firmware 3.20
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have this terrible sense of deja-vu

Have you said that before or is it just me????

E-mailed Garmin - i await their comments....
mussey1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I phoned Garmin yesterday and they have asked me to send my i3 back to them for testing.

Do you think they will send me a replacement??

They did tell me they were 'unaware' of the problem, however it does seem that quite a few people here already emailed them.

Mussey1.
snowboardcriminal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Garmin actually test these "improvements"?

How can 2.7 still be the most reliable?

5 FW updates that dont work

Unbelieviable!!

There are things that I know and you don't know, there are things that you know that i don't know, but always remember there is much that we both don't know.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do Garmin actually test these "improvements"?

Yes, rigorously. We are doing it for them by the looks of things!!!

Quote:
They did tell me they were 'unaware' of the problem, however it does seem that quite a few people here already emailed them.

I have already pointed them to this thread but i doubt they'll read it.
porky48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of the road for me, like a mug I thought garmin just might have done the business this time and sorted out the firmware once and for all to work in all models of the I3, I upgraded mine this morning, took it for a spin and the screen locked up within 1/2 mile and stayed that way until I got home again, O well back to 2.70 and that's where I'm going to stay, what do they say?? If it aint broke don't fix it.

Garmin your useless, I bet you don’t make any problems like this with your aviation firmware.

Have fun folks
nitelife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porky48 wrote:
I upgraded mine this morning, took it for a spin and the screen locked up within 1/2 mile and stayed that way until I got home again, O well back to 2.70 and that's where I'm going to stay, what do they say?? If it aint broke don't fix it.

What version of the unit do you have? We should probably start working out who has what and seeing if there's a pattern.

I have a newer unit with memory and TF card.
porky48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is about 1 1/2 years old bought from Curry's, it has the 256 meg Trans flash card in the side, other than that I have no idea what model it is as it is not marked with any model numbers, nor is there any indication within the bios.

It does seem strange though that some people report varying degrees of problems from nothing at all to just locking up the machine all the time

I'm not going to waste any more time with this as my unit works perfectly on 2.70 but god alone knows what idiot was let loose to modify the perfectly working 2.70 version of the firmware, I just cant get my head around why so many bad changes were made to a good working version, to me it seems as if they gave the software to someone who hadn't got a clue what he/she was doing and this person is still working there, lets be honist no company that I know of, or work for, would dream of letting a product of theirs get into this sort of state.

Mine is used every day to find customers addresses and to this end it works very well, it's not perfect, but its got to be better than using paper maps any day.

When I do upgrade it certainly wont be a Garmin product
ljonesy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgraded to 3.2 and within half a mile the i3 had me going backwards!
The arrow in the center was upside down and even the screen was scrolling the other way. I restarted the system then the i3 only displayed part of the road ahead it then updated about 10 seconds later with the rest of the road. Problem was I had already left via a junction and was not on the road anymore.
I also noticed the screen turned white now and again. This happened in map and nav mode. Another thing I found was in nav mode if i left the suggested route sometimes it would not re-calculate, I could still see the old route on the map even though i was plainly well off course.
All in all, RUBBISH!!
Now gone back to 2.7
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitelife wrote:
What version of the unit do you have? We should probably start working out who has what and seeing if there's a pattern.

I can't understand why everyone doesn't include their location in their profile and details of their sat nav equipment in their signature. It makes things so much easier when discussing problems.

I paid more attention to the timing of the prompts in town this morning (having reverted to firmware v2.7 - v3.2 is even worse). Whereas on roads with the national speed limit the final warning at 0.2 miles is 'Turn left', on 30mph roads the penultimate prompt at 0.2 miles is 'in point two miles turn left' followed at 200 feet by 'Turn left'. So why can't the prompts be the same for both types of road? Even at 60mph, as long as there's been a warning at 0.2 miles, I can't see why there couldn't be a final prompt at 200 feet.

Sorry to labour this point, but it really bugs me! Evil or Very Mad
Samsung Galaxy S21
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porky48 wrote:
Mine is about 1 1/2 years old

that's not bad considering they only came out last september ;)
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
I can't understand why everyone doesn't include their location in their profile

For general issues, I fail to see how it has any relevance?

Sure, if somebody has an issue with a funny route, or a problem with behaviour at a certain geographical location, it makes sense to detail it, but other than that, how does it make any difference?

Anita wrote:
and details of their sat nav equipment in their signature.

This has also been discussed in the past - the problem is, that it can be misleading, retrospectively. If you detail certain firmware versions (for example) in your signature, then at some point in the future, update your signature should you change firmware versions, then anybody searching the forums (as we are all encouraged to do) could well get a misleading perspective of the issue being discussed.

Anita wrote:
It makes things so much easier when discussing problems.

I seriously doubt it, and have never heard a plausible argument as to why it should, really. It's quite simple, include in your post your / the location if it's relevant, and the same for the firmware version.

Otherwise, if you go about including your tech specs in your signature, the archives and searched postings may well mislead people.
London_i3_Newbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running 2.50 and it has always been alright. the fact this update does things 'quicker' and smoother seemed appealing. Do you think going back to 2.50 is the safest option or is the latest one as stable as 2.50?

Are you implying that the slow or incorrect map movement could be because access/refresh might be slightly different in i3`s with the map in memory than those with it on transflash.

Is there any different between running V7 or V8 maps.

Many thanks.
Map: City Select Europe NT v7
POIs Uploaded: Speed Camera Data
jonnybad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not had any probs with my set-up, seems to acquire the satellites a bit quicker than 3.1. Though the antenna I'm using is supposedly a powered unit, so that might make a difference. Only trouble is with this antenna the AA batts tend to flatten a bit quicker, guess cos it's draining them more. I've removed them and find that the 10secs to locate the sats isn't too bad really
London_i3_Newbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention in my last post that i have wiped all POI`s apart from the congestion charge one and turned OFF all proximity alerts (i might put the speed camera data back on it aswell) for people not needing any POIs is the latest version suitable and does it cause less map lag than those with 9999999 pois running?

Again thanks
Map: City Select Europe NT v7
POIs Uploaded: Speed Camera Data
marbar2k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i gave it a quick test last night, i have an original i3 with the 256 trans flash,v8 maps & v2.0 audio. I have been running 2.7 with all mafts & speed cam pois's. The nav mode was deffo quicker and smoother but i had the issuse with the turning voice confusing me. I found the problems in map mode, the speed, road name & speed camera banner all displayed correctly but the map just froze and would not move!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 5 of 14

Jump to: