Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iQue 3600 - how long does it take to tranfer the data?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iQue 3600 - how long does it take to tranfer the data?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverLoz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: iQue 3600 - how long does it take to tranfer the data? Reply with quote

I have followed the well-written instructions created by Strumble and everything has gone smoothly up to the point where I HotSynced the camera data to the iQue. It has been HotSyncing for about 45mins and still shows no signs of finishing! Surely this isn't right? (I have cancelled the HotSync and tried again, with the same result).

The MPS file is 1.0MB (10,000+ waypoints) and the iQue has 10.7MB free memory. (By comparison, when transferring maps, the whole of the UK (166MB) only takes about 5 mins).
missing_user

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why fill up the unit with details you may never use.
My resultant list has 3000 of the 8000 locations
This is the file you will need to ‘import’ to PalmDesktop to HotSync to the iQue [This should have taken you ten minutes at the most!!]

Did you import all 10400 locations into Palm Desktop?
I would, after 36 months of iQue use, never attempt to load 10400 cameras!!

Load those of value to your area each month into the unit.
3000 to 4000 is the maximum I would suggest.

Use the 'overlay' method each month as well [60seconds work] in case you go out of your area! This will give you a visual database of 10400 cameras.

Similarly it is also a waste of time filling up a big SD card with all of Europe. The redraw time will be slow!
SilverLoz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering. I feel a little foolish Embarassed I have added the overlay, so you're right, I only need the audible warnings for those I'm most likely to encounter.

I can see how to identify the red light cameras (those that have an -R- in the middle) but how do you decide which ones are in, say, Scotland ?

Sorry if this is obvious but I can't figure it out and have spent a couple of hours poring over the forums!
missing_user

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Speed Camera download page.
Download the Garmin .gdb file.
Unzip it
I assume that as you have an iQue, you therefore have Mapsource on your PC.
Open the unzipped .gdb file.

This opens then in MapSource. All 10400 cameras will be available to view!
The 'panning' and 're-drawing' in MapSource will be sloooowwww!!

Select all cameras [draw a box around] that you will not need for the coming month.

I usually remove all cameras above a line Aberystwyth on the west coast to the east coast.

Depending on your location remove all the pointless cameras out of your area.

This should make the database more 'iQue friendly'!!

On my other unit, 60CSx, this is unnecessary, as it can handle 10400 cameras through the POI loader, without fuss, in seconds.
SilverLoz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Strumble, I had tried drawing a box on the map to select a group of waypoints but because the screen update was so slow I didn't wait long enough to see it happening so figured it didn't work that way! Anyway, I did figure out a couple of ways to start removing unwanted waypoints.

Once in MapSource, I clicked the "symbol" heading to sort the waypoints by symbol then scrolled down until I found the first with the red star symbol (redlight type). I clicked on this to highlight it then scrolled down until I found the last entry with the red star symbol. Holding SHIFT, I clicked on this one thereby highlighting all redlight waypoints. I then hit DEL to remove them.

Next I clicked on the "position" heading until the waypoints were sorted descending (i.e. with downwards arrow head next to the word "position"). I highlighted the entry at the top of the list and scrolled down until I found the most northerly entry I was interested in (N54 09.938). Holding SHIFT I clicked on this to highlight all those above and hit DEL. I repeated this procedure by highlighting and deleting the most southerly entry I was interested in (N51 45.121) to the bottom of the list. This got the list down to less than 5,000.

The screen was then responsive enough to easily use the 'draw a box around it' method. I got the list down to about 3,500 waypoints and I used this to load into my iQue. It worked a treat.

I'm sure you knew this already but thought I would post it anyway in case it might help someone else.
missing_user

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you managed it, as it is so easy 'next time'!!!
Selecting the cameras 'my way' is dependant on the ability of the PC.
Perhaps you should select in smaller 'chunks'.

'Your method' is/was the way I removed the redlight cameras, but is more difficult to convey to others. [I hate redlight cameras on the iQue as in cities the audible warning is non-stop- no problem on my 'patch']

Now you have achieved the inclusion of the database on your unit, please post your method and comments on the relevant iQue page [on the left] for others to benefit in the future.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: