Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - so who's gonna buy v6 at (say) £80 - £100
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

so who's gonna buy v6 at (say) £80 - £100
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
bed bug thats more to do with map acctivation

Fair enough, but the feedback is 'if it's not a listed device, we can't activate' - or have I misread?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sort of because hes activated his map twice before the next activation is in 6 months time so as hes changed his phone before that time he needs to get an activation for the map. but as that device is not on the list the poeple in the call centre may not have an in depth pda knowledge and may not have heard of that device (silly but it can hapen). so this may be the reason they are saying the device is not supported, when the device works prefectly well with tt5

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood, but I'm still not sure I'd risk it until I knew TT would agreed. Just as well it isn't me! Laughing Out Loud
tanbam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've "heard" that 6 plays nice with media players, so I will be able to play music in the background while navigating. Since my system was geared for that before 5, this is a pleasant surprise that in itself is worth the money for me.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
spook51 wrote:
I use an Dell X3 currently not listed.....

Spook, if you look at this post it appears that TT will not activate a product if it is not running on a listed device. In the post I mention, the owner needs to de-activate/re-activate, so it might be that if you buy Nav 6 as a new product you can then manually activate it through the TT website and not need to 'fess up to having an unsupported device, but I'd want to know it would work before you spent any money!

Bedbug - thanks for the link. I've read through the thread and it doesn't look very encouraging.

My understanding is that Nav 6 will work with Windows Mobile 2003 which my Dell X3 runs but if TomTom decide not to support it, I'm likely to be stuffed - no activation unless I'm devious...

Not really the way to reward the loyalty of customers, is it?
Sad
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm normally the world's greatest TT critic, but for once, I have to leap to their defence, having working in a different field & delt with the issues of compatibility.

TT, like other tech companies have a problem - they need to make positive noises for their investors/stock holders and for their customer base.

We whinge (well, more a case of I whinge when TT won't release details of future plans. When they do announce a product ahead of availability, we/I whinge because their support people don't know all the answers and compatibility appears limited.

Until the product is released, I think I'm being unfair if I criticise their supported device details.

Furthermore, it isn't in their interest to exclude existing customers for the sake of it. If people feel neglected/abandoned, they're less likely to be brand loyal.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the supported device list grow as they test more devices & receive more feedback.

Also, and I'll only speak for myself here, having my first experience of TT through a recently purchased Nav 5, I benefit from the features that my device can support, which the device I owned back in March didn't. I have to acccept that at some point my device won't be able to support some whizzy feature that Nav 7 or 8 will provide. It's no different to IT platforms and software's minimum requirements.

Everyone's feelings are valid, I don't think TT Support's all-too-often bad attitude helps. But I can't see how TT can keep everyone happy, all of the time. Especially when we're not even talking about a released product.

Geez, did I just defend TT?? Normal service will be resumed shortly! Rolling Eyes
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go have lie down and see if normal service resumes later Laughing Wink

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
I'm normally the world's greatest TT critic, but for once, I have to leap to their defence, having working in a different field & delt with the issues of compatibility.

TT, like other tech companies have a problem - they need to make positive noises for their investors/stock holders and for their customer base.

I feel that TT have handled the roll-out of Nav6 badly.

I'm not whingeing about the product as I could fairly happily continue with Nav5 if only I could get updated maps once a year or so.

It doesn't make sense to me to announce what is obviously going to be a high-demand product so far ahead of the (as yet undisclosed) availability date. Had TT waited and continued testing additional PDAs for compatability a comprehensive list could issued as Nav6 went on sale and we (TT's loyal customers) wouldn't be getting our knickers in a twist.

I guess I'm a bit narked that as a TT customer I may not be able to use their latest product on my Dell X3. Using SatNav on it is something I do only a few dozen times a year so it's not a priority, certainly not enough to make me change my PDA to use Nav6.

I'll just wait until it's on sale. If it's listed, fine. If it isn't I'll have tothink further.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
go have lie down and see if normal service resumes later Laughing Wink

Hmm... no change yet!

Oh, and delt = dealt (Doh!)

:P
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
I'll just wait until it's on sale. If it's listed, fine. If it isn't I'll have tothink further.

Hope you get some good news.
nmbaker
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: TT6 Reply with quote

Well I like the product. The maps do not appear to be new releases, but about the level of 6.32. I still see the same errors on my journeys. I like the way, it shows the speed limit on the roads - never thought to look at the road signs or the lamp posts as I was shown when I passed my test yonks ago. I like it that europe, admittedly only western is available as a single map as is USA and Canada. I do not like the fact, it does not see older series 5 maps. I do not use all the other features. At the end of the day. I want to be in a location at a particular time. That works nicely.

One thing that cheesed me off was a moderator saying I used pirated software - well if are a global play and have over 5000 staff travelling roads throughout europe and US, you think the odd freebie constitutes piracy, ask TomTom. Yes I have not paid for any of the maps or software, but piracy - no! Definitely not.

What I am giving is an opinion purely based on my use of a product. I liked v5.21, did not have problems and it is the same with v6, but is it worth an upgrade? Well if I am being honest, probably not. I love v6, but i'll not be using buddies, weather, traffic or the other features (or benefits) its main improvement is telling me when I will get to a chosen point.

I really like v5.21. If the new maps were offered as a yearly or bi-yearly upgrade, that would be good enough for me. And if they offered a greater range of maps, because I travel to east Europe and the far east too, it would help considerably
TTCams latest 19/05/09 Traffic - live
SDHC 16GB
nmbaker
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other issue I have is, we sell TomTom products to the wholesale market and are usually less than the price quoted by Halfords. And no, I am not going to mention my company name, because if you are a retailer, you will know us and if you do not, then it is your loss. But needless to say. I do not use pirated software. It might be a pre-release version, but that is besides the point
TTCams latest 19/05/09 Traffic - live
SDHC 16GB
Loobster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while since I've been on the forum, thought I'd check it out now a new version of Tomtom is out.

Personally I'm still on v3.07 - I prefer the look of it to either v5 or v6, and it has native support for programming the buttons on the PDA - which I CANNOT live without, end of story.

I may give v6 a try once CheckPOInt release a v6-compatible version of their software.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmbaker wrote:
But needless to say. I do not use pirated software.

should change your sig then :-) -
korndog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
nmbaker wrote:
But needless to say. I do not use pirated software.

should change your sig then :-) -

looks like dumbledoor to me, Laughing Out Loud.

All i want is some up to date maps, it's not too much to ask, surely (cries into beer) Sad

TomTom Go 600

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: