Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What files must I keep on my SD card?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What files must I keep on my SD card?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveGlasgow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: What files must I keep on my SD card? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have loaded all my TT5 files onto my SD card for my iPaq, but if I'm looking to remove any, what must I leave on the SD for TT to function?

Has the program installed onto the iPaq and does it run from there, or do I need to keep it all on the SD card? I've got a 2GB card so there's tons of room, I'm more concerned about cluttering up the card with files I maybe don't need.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are not any files worth of removing. The TomTom application only takes a very small amount of space on your storage card.

Contain the urge to clean up - a little clutter here and there is not deadly.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What files must I keep on my SD card? Reply with quote

DaveGlasgow wrote:
Hi everyone, I have loaded all my TT5 files onto my SD card for my iPaq, but if I'm looking to remove any, what must I leave on the SD for TT to function?

Has the program installed onto the iPaq and does it run from there, or do I need to keep it all on the SD card? I've got a 2GB card so there's tons of room, I'm more concerned about cluttering up the card with files I maybe don't need.

Dont know about your OS but with WM5 the application is in main memory (unless you jump through a few hoops) but certain system files are located on the storage card.

I too have a 2GB card and echo your concerns about clutter. The WM5 OS (check out yours) does not display hidden files and folders with the native file explorer.

So using a card reader simply set the attribute to "hidden" for any system, or other file/folder you do not wish to display in file explorer. This will eliminate the risk of accidental deletion of important files (as they cannot be viewed and therefore selected for deletion).

Further to this all my Tomtom map folders which I prefer to be displayed have been renamed and prefixed with "z" ie "zGreat_britain-Map". This ensures all my maps are displayed together at the bottom of the list within file explorer.

Please note in renaming a map folder in this way means you must rename the .cfg file exactly the same to retain home, favourites and POI setting previously saved.

As always, make a complete backup before changing any files.
DaveGlasgow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Contain the urge to clean up - a little clutter here and there is not deadly.

Fair advice, thanks!
DaveGlasgow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What files must I keep on my SD card? Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:

Dont know about your OS but with WM5 the application is in main memory (unless you jump through a few hoops) but certain system files are located on the storage card.

Thanks for confirming that, I just like to tidy things up wherever I can!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: