Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi wishlist
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi wishlist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone make this sticky so it keeps being updated?
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add another few

For the mp3 player

- Make the mp3 player respect track numbers in id3 tags so that tracks play in order without having to rename them numerically

- If you search for mp3 by artist, rather than displaying all the files, have another sublevel containing all the albums and an all option rather than all the songs

- If I click on a song, play all the songs in the album when the song finishes. It's just the song I want to start listening to

- Display song title on screen in the directions bar for a few seconds when a new song starts

Then for navigation:

- Allow customisation of the 2 information boxes on the left and right of screen. These show speed, distance to next turn, eta and compass bearing depending on mode. I'd like the option of changing these and perhaps having one cycle through a number of parameters. These could include current time, average speeds, mp3 player track, time travelled etc

And fuel

- I'd like to see a fuel calculator. I see a few options

1 - When you refil a tank, you put in a price and volume of fuel. It notes the distance travelled since you last filled your tank and works out fuel economy

2 - Min, max and average fuel economies are stored by the unit

3 - Price of journey is displayed when you first start navigating and on the dashboard view

4 - The gps keeps a total of miles travelled between tank refils. When the tank is below 1/4 full, the gps regularly looks for nearby garages. At approx 50miles left, the gps warns you and offers you a chance to reroute past a petrol station leaving a fuel icon on the display to give you the chance to reroute

5 - When on a route that cant be completed within the tank capacity, automatically reroute to a petrol station when it becomes only one of two possible petrol stations that could be reached before the tank reaches empty.

I know this wouldn't be 100% accurate without linking into the car trip computer but I think it could do a reasonable job

Finally

- I'd like to see custom settings available for different cars such that you can save vehicle icon, volume, brightness etc and quickly load it when you switch cars or driver
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Destination Reply with quote

Hi
I would like to see a 'City Centre' destination as in TomTom. Often when planning a route, you do not necessarily know the name of a road in the destination town.

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
northender71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

option for auto reset trip computer.
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even two trip computers - one since a route was input and one resettable
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Referring to http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=44782

I'd like to see Street and Postcode modes as two distinct options when inputting an address. When in postcode mode, the postcode format should be found from the country and keyboard should change between numbers and letters automatically or show both letters and numbers (it could remove the extra buttons on the bottom to make space)

Secondly - whilst the unit remembers the last used country while powered on, I'd like it to have a number of favourite countries (lets say 3) programmable on the country button page and a button saying 'this country' that uses position information. A 'this city' option could also be added on city selection to save typing
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkerby wrote:
And fuel

- I'd like to see a fuel calculator. I see a few options

1 - When you refil a tank, you put in a price and volume of fuel. It notes the distance travelled since you last filled your tank and works out fuel economy

2 - Min, max and average fuel economies are stored by the unit

3 - Price of journey is displayed when you first start navigating and on the dashboard view

4 - The gps keeps a total of miles travelled between tank refils. When the tank is below 1/4 full, the gps regularly looks for nearby garages. At approx 50miles left, the gps warns you and offers you a chance to reroute past a petrol station leaving a fuel icon on the display to give you the chance to reroute

5 - When on a route that cant be completed within the tank capacity, automatically reroute to a petrol station when it becomes only one of two possible petrol stations that could be reached before the tank reaches empty.

I know this wouldn't be 100% accurate without linking into the car trip computer but I think it could do a reasonable job.

I like 4 and 5 - not sure how easily or readily they'd be implemented but it certainly would be a major factor for me, for my choice of sat nav.

Not that I run out of fuel, or anything, just the more advanced type of feature that seems cool enough to tempt you to buy one, or spend extra on one.

Which may all seem irrelevant to me, being an i3 owner, as opposed to a Nuvi owner - but I'm on the look-out for another sat nav for Mrs Burnham.
PatrickEwing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot fathom why the heck you need to know where the nearest fire station is.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickEwing wrote:
I cannot fathom why the heck you need to know where the nearest fire station is.

1. Maybe he's a travelling, freelance fireman.

or

2. Maybe he's already explained in the thread...
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
Agreed.

Although not available for Garmin yet there really ought to be a 'Silent Voice' option.
There is one currently around for download to Tom Tom GPS and it mutes voice route guidance but still allows for safety camera or other POI alerts.

I've found it useful when travelling known routes or for when you have passengers on board and voice directions become really intrusive.

In the navigation menu, doesn't setting 'Voice Prompts' to 'None' have the same effect?
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many reasons to call in to a fire station rather than making an emergency call including fire safety information, fire officer training, sweet talking them into rescuing your cat.....

The main idea out of it though would be an emergency screen allowing you to see all local emergency services, local and national call numbers and display your coordinates, street and nearest intersections so you have all the info handy when you call

That gives me another idea for a marketable addon - a decent first aid manual in case you are involved in or witness an accident. Given the screen resolution and sd memory support, you could easily show pictures and text. This could even be something anyone could add if you can make jpegs for the photo viewer....

WRT the silent voice, I think you may be right - I've just simulated a route and it still bings at the speed cameras but doesnt announce directions. Shame this isn't on the power button shortcut page as different mute options though. I'd also like to clarify what the difference is between guidance and guidance/status. Is a status message something like "Arriving at home" or is that guidance? Perhaps these need to be checkboxes so you can just have status if you prefer (whatever they may be)

On that note - can the garmin manual be rewritten to explain what each setting is and how it configures your device. It glosses over way too many points
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add another - individual show/hite selection of poi categores so you can choose which Icons you want to se on the map. It would be nice if you could turn on/off the proximity alarms from the device

I'd also quite like a file manager so if you want to copy waypoints or poi for a friend (copyright free or those you created)_ they could be exported to SD and imported to the other device
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After last nights thoughts on a first aid guide, I've been thinking about the Nuvi as a 'Travel Companion' which is how Garmin market it.

To fully fulfil these roles, I'd like to see some additional functionalities

Lets start on easy to hard

- Trip time calculator page. Without setting a route, allow you to enter two addresses or favourites and display times by foot, bike car etc based upon fastest or shortest route

- Ebook / text reader (not audible) to use the screen as a test based ebook reader. This would allow me to store useful information and perhaps read a novel or two on the plane. This could even use text to speech if you could put up with it so you could listen to an email or document to update you on your way to work in the morning

- Itinerary manager - allow you to enter a list of addresses you have to be and the times you need to be there then select 'next place on itinerary' to auto route. This should also suggest last possible start time and could include flight details etc. I'd probably see this as needing a pc based piece of management software

- Expenses log to log all expenses, in local currency and home currency using conversion calculator. Should be stored to a text file for later claim. Could also log miles travelled for fuel claims noting cost per mile

- In fact, a fuel counter would be a great app - you hit a button to start/end work miles and it knows how much you can claim per mile and logs all work miles

- Underground maps (although these could be stored as a useful jpeg)

- Transport calculator - knows bus routes and underground routes so in 'augmented pedestrian' mode you can choose to take the quickest public transport route and it will direct you to a bus stop or tube station that will take you most of the way. I'm thinking something like Metro ( http://www.nanika.net/metro/ ) which I use a lot on my Palm but with added gps support
Yeoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tha ability to 'set location' by reference to the address or poi and not have to scroll around the map to try and find the desired point.

More waypoints possible and the ability to plan and save a route

The option to avoid chosen sections of a route

the ability to opt for an alternative route. I am not sure how 'detour' works but I understand it takes you off the current route then back on 'as soon as possible' - whatever that means. Sometimes I would like a whole new route.

A more powerul speaker in the mount

A choice of map colour options

A more detailed manual
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd certainly like to understand how the detour function works. And when the device says "There is a better route available" what does it mean? Why cant it show the routes in two colours on an overview map and some statistics and let me decide....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: