Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpooley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Speed cameras Reply with quote

Hi All
I have just got my IPAQ 2210 with TomTom navigator and i'm trying to decide whether to go for a commercial camera database (trafcam) or use the free one at this site.

I noticed that there are a few local camera's that are not on the PocketGPSworld database. Which is a bit worrying.
So I am wondering if there are any users of Trafcam or the PocketGPSworld /checkpoint software who would advise me.

thanls

Mike
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mpooley,

I would use the “Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database” together with Checkpoint 2.02 as your first defence. Why? Because it’s free! Thumbs Up

There are several reasons why your local cameras may not be on the Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database. They may be new, but more likely nobody with TomTom and the database has made a note of the camera locations and sent them to Pocket GPS.

May I presume that you know the location of the local cameras and therefore treat them with the respect that they deserve? However, just because you know where the local cameras are, does not mean that strangers do. I believe that the whole ethos of the Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database is that everybody who uses it should share in the responsibility of sending up-to-date information on cameras i.e. new ones, and removed ones to the Pocket GPS team who can then issue revisions of the database.

In addition to the Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database, I use a separate GPS camera detector and a decent Radar detector. In the future I may also get a laser diffuser. I prefer “separates” when it comes to cameras because if one fails you have the security offered by the others. Don’t forget that none of this equipment should be used as a “licence to speed”; more as a driving aid as the cameras are only paced where there are accident black spots aren’t they? Wink Wink Wink

Unfortunately I don’t have experience of Trafcam, however I know that they are very customer orientated and listen to customer requirements. Have a look at the following sites for reviews:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/menu_gpsspeed.php
http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/frames.htm

HTH,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mpooley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input.

I think that even if I go for the trafcam software I will still add any camera's to the pocketgps database..

Mind you I havn't a clue how to do that?

I tried to log the position of my nearest camera the other day using the gps app that comes with tomtom . It has a log screen where you can start recording. Which i did but when i try to replay it nothing happens!
of course i havn't got a clue what is supposed to happen so maybe I'm missing it?

Mike
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, if you used the record facility on the GPS Log screen, this is just for recording trips and playing them back (you can then watch where you drove).

To record a camera you will need something like CheckPOInt, a review is available shortly.
mpooley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave,

What a usefull facility?????
why would i want to replay where i'd just been Rolling Eyes

The trafcam site seems to be down at the moment apparently they've had a fire.

cheers
mike
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to replay comes in handy for some to see the route the product took, it's also good to demo it to friends when they want to see what your street nav system looks like. Also good for diagnosing map problems or program bugs (TomTom sometimes request the log file for diagnostics).
mpooley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see Embarassed

thanks
his_racing_puma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpooley wrote:
why would i want to replay where i'd just been Rolling Eyes

cheers
mike

Another use for the facility is if you are pulled at the side of the road for speeding and you know you werent. Not that I am saying police officers would ever use another persons speed results to boook you 8O

If you are certain then you can contest it and then show it as evidence in court.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: