Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No V6 Upgade For PDA Users - Official Response From TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No V6 Upgade For PDA Users - Official Response From TomTom
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: No V6 Upgade For PDA Users - Official Response From TomTom Reply with quote

Dear Speedcam,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.
Firstly may we apoligise for any confusion caused regarding the pda update. Unfortunatley, the response given was incorrect there is no pda update due to commence in the near future. There was a mis- reading of your query where our representitive was refering to the MAP UPDATE programme not the Pda update.

Secondly, the newsletter is usually released every month . Any new releases or products shall be reported to our customers through this Newsletter.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wat?!

Screwed again...
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech upport most likely wont have an infomation on pda updates untill they are officially announced

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not so sure, I read that another person had also been told by TomTom they had stopped developing the PDA version. The reason I received the original post is as a result of me asking for an update on the following:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/category.php?ID=3&Language=1&FID=3555

This clearly states that early July we should have received both map & application updates, I therefore asked TomTom for an update, as to when these would be made available. Their response I've included below, when the news letter was published there was no mention of updates. I feel there's be some internal decision in TomTom regarding PDA developments.

Maybe this is an opportunity for PocketGPS to get an official statement regarding this matter ?

Dear Speedcam,

We would like to thank you for your message to TomTom Customer Support.

The information you have requested is currently unavailable. We will let you know through the TomTom newsletters when this information becomes available.
The update is due to commence very very soon, we apoligise for any dissapointment caused.

Kind regards,

TomTom Customer Support Team
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I recently got:

28/07/2006 02.55 PM
Dear TomTom, As you may be aware, your users are highly critical of your update programme. We currently have a situation where you indicate that map & software updates will be available at the beginning of Q3 2006 - that would be the beginning of July. That time has passed. There are widely reported incidents of your representatives indicating that TomTom is discontinuing support of the Pocket PC platform (and Palm too?). Many of your customers are increasingly disatisfied with the unreliability/age of maps (we can download POIs on a monthly basis, but the critical maps themselves only once a year?!). Please, take this opportunity to address these issues for me and the wider community - please note your response will be published. Many thanks,

Answer:

31/07/2006 04.39 PM

In response to your queries we kindly inform you of the following:

1. Every year we release new software and maps. TomTom is an innovative company that always strives to lead the way in supplying the latest updates and technology. We therefore supply an annual upgrade program wherein all of our TomTom customers are offered the opportunity to purchase the latest upgrade version plus the maps at a reduced price. All registered TomTom users will be kept informed about future releases and upgrades.

2. We have recently released v.6 of our software for all our all-in-one =
users, which offers a number of improvements and new features to our customers for free.

3. We will be releasing new maps. Although an immediate date is not available it will be in Q3 of 2006.

4. We are not going to discontinue our support of the Pocket PC platform

We trust in having informed you sufficiently,
With kind regards,
The TomTom Customer Support Team
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
4. We are not going to discontinue our support of the Pocket PC platform

While not trying to read too much into this, after all the words may not have been deliberatly chosen, but support and development are quite different - this may not confirm anything.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, glad someone else spotted that too!

Incidentally, I'm Palm here, but I saw that the PPC community was concerned, so thought I'd ask anyway!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have seen what Navigon have done. You have seen the sales numbers. For me it is a clear sign that they ALL will want to withdraw from the Pocket PC business. We (the PPC community) may be vocal, but we're very small (an order of magnitude).

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does that make us - the palm community??! Laughing Out Loud Confused
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a number of occassions I've suggested that TomTom would not release a V6 PDA version, and currently I'm see more evidence that confirms this.

A number of the PocketGPS team have indicated that they have access to a V6 or seen it in operation, another site indicates that there's an Release Candidate availabel. I know that you have all signed NDA's buts all I'm asking is confirmation that a V6 version exists, no other details required.

Thanks
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know there was the alpha new_clothes.emperor release, but since then it's all got a bit quiet! Surprised
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom make it quite clear where they make their money. Reported revenue Q2 06:

PND solutions: 257 million Euros, +10% vs Q1 06, +138% vs Q2 05
PDA/Smartphone solutions: 8 million Euros, -11% vs Q1 06, -38% vs Q2 05
Other: 12 million Euros (so even this was higher than PDAs and smartphones combined!)

Full PDF here:
http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/inv/TomTom%20Press%20release%20Q2%202006.pdf

Depressing for us, but you can see the business sense in it. Add in the development and support simplicity of their own controlled PND platforms against the complexity and permutations of PDA / phone and GPS models and I know where I'd be focussing my efforts. I still think they will release v6 for us eventually, but I can see why it's low down their priority list.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I see it, the problem isn't whether they support X or not, it's the lack of clarity in their communications (unfortunately the no-doubt well meaning input from some of our moderators doesn't actually help).

We're all future stand-alone product owners. The experience that I've had and the impression I've gained ensures that if I feel poorly treated with what is just an add-on to a pience of hardware I already owned (smartphone), I'm far less likely to commit to a more expensive dedicated unit!

My experience of TT reminds me of the dot.com days; arrogant companies poorly communicating with their customers. Things have moved on significantly now. The support I get for $19.99 software applications is nothing short of exceptional and ensures my continuing loyalty - so it pays off.

The saddest part of it all is we are quite passionate about our interest in GPS - for most of us it isn't simply something we got from under a christmas tree and that we switch on and never bother to upgrade. Pocket GPS World forum posters could be a huge asset as advocates - if you ever see breakdowns of advertising spend for a company like TT you see the true $$ value of passionate customers.

Personally, I really like the product, but am depressed by the company and disappointed that they don't appear to share my commitment to it (the product).

In the world of Tom Tom Plus, TT need committed consumers, and we must be amongst the best. And a PPC or Palm owner is tomorrow's smartphone owner, a significantly growing sector - and TT's business is all about market share right now.
tradesman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: tom tom navigator softwar Reply with quote

Posted this in the wrong section before have done a copy & paste here.
Have deleted your old posting to save confusion. - Oldboy

So are you lot actualy saying that after spending my hard earned cash on an ipaq with tom tom navigator 5.
I might as well throw it in the bin (because thats the impression I get from this thread) Confused
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if there is no V6, we still have V5 which works and works well (for most).

There's no need to throw it in the bin just because nothing newer or better is coming...you will have several years of good usage out of it before it becomes intolerably out of date. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: