Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quest 1 and 2 with v7 + v8??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quest 1 and 2 with v7 + v8??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aladdin_Sane
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Quest 1 and 2 with v7 + v8?? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Q1 running V7 and my son is buying a Q2 which will be V8. We only have one P.C. between us.

What problems can I expect with the software?

Thanks.
farzad
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Quest 1 and 2 with v7 + v8?? Reply with quote

Hi Aladdin

My only experince has been with V6 and V7, where V7 was an upgrade CD. When I fire up Mapsource, I can choose if I want V6 or V7 from a drop down box at top left of screen.

Mapsource is also able to detect which Quest unit has been connected to it, as long as the unit has been registered.

So I'm guessing you shouldn't have a problem, but that's just my guess as I'm not able to test it for you.

To play it safe, you could install V8 in it's own directory.
But this might get complicated when you want to upgrade your Quest 1's V7 to V8.....thenyou end up with 2 V8s on different direcotries

[/quote]
Aladdin_Sane
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I load V8 over my already installed V7 (upgraded from V6) I should just be able to swap between 7 and 8 depending on what unit i'm using? Would that work okay?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aladdin_Sane wrote:
So if I load V8 over my already installed V7 (upgraded from V6) I should just be able to swap between 7 and 8 depending on what unit i'm using? Would that work okay?

It should do, I have V6 and V7 on my PC and you get a popup menu allowing you to choose which one you want to use.

The other thing to consider is that Garmin will give you an unlock for a second GPS unit belonging to you. So if you brought the Quest 2 then Garmin will give you a v8 unlock for the Quest 1 and you could use V8 maps on both units. Wink
farzad
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Quest 1 and 2 with v7 + v8?? Reply with quote

Off course
Nice one Skippy
I'd forgotten about that little gem.

So aladdin will be able to simply install V8 and register both units with it and have V8 runnig on both Quests....nice one.

I guess it is a nice one unless Aladdin has some reason for wanting to continue with V7 on his and V8 on his son's Quest 2.
Aladdin_Sane
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just didn't know I could use 8 on both. I thought it would be akin to putting a single copy of XP on two pc's you own if ya know what I mean. If i'm impressed with V8 i'll chuck it on the Q1.

Will my Q1 then show camera sites?
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aladdin_Sane wrote:
I just didn't know I could use 8 on both. I thought it would be akin to putting a single copy of XP on two pc's you own if ya know what I mean. If i'm impressed with V8 i'll chuck it on the Q1.

Will my Q1 then show camera sites?

The maptiles in CN v8 are much larger than CS v7 so not so good if you are goiing on a long trip through Europe,also it comes on a DVD so if you have a cheap lappy to load more maps on route you would need to upgrade it.

You can get Speed cam overlays from this site but it will just show the positions and not give audible warnings

Dave
XJR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone verify what ODDSOCK has just said???
I am going as far as Slovakia in two weeks time and have the choice of V7 or V8 and would like to know that I have loaded the appropriate one to my Quest 1.
We sail from Newcastle to Holland, from there we will be heading to Dresden and then on into Poland (Iknow my Quest won't be too good here). Then through Krakow and down into Bratislava before heading back into Czech republic. Leaving Plzen and then back into Germany to spend a night in the wonderful Cologne and a spin round the Nurburgring before heading to Zeebrugge to catch our ferry back to Rosyth in Scotland....................PHEW Laughing
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have access to both versions you can view your intended route in Mapsource and see the difference in memory used as the corridor each side of it is wider also v8 has more poi detail.

Dave
XJR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks oddsock, I was doing that as you replied..............spot on mate!!!
One learns something new everyday!!!!
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To show the huge difference I plotted a route from Pontypool to the South of France just above Barcelona ..V8 = 148MB ..V6 = 50MB.

dave
elsinga
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can install both v7 and v8 on one computer (as a reference, I have dozens of map products on mine...). You can not use CN8 NT on the Q1, since it is not compatible with the NT type maps. You can use the v7 maps from the Q1 on the Q2, provided you register it as the second unit and obtain an unlock code for it.

GPS V FAQ Quest FAQ
Home @ N 52"55.812', E 05"51.509'

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: