Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New 910 User: Four Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New 910 User: Four Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_Dude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: New 910 User: Four Questions Reply with quote

Hi from a new member. I've had, and enjoyed the 910 for a week. I have a few questions....

1.) In the US, they have Baskin-Robbins and Dunkin Donuts as POI's. Any idea whether they'll add Starbucks as a stand-alone category? And also, T-Mobile Hotspots in the US?

2.) Will they add additional cell phone connectivity? I have a Treo 650, and it works for calls, but not for data, etc. BTW if your cell phone is not listed as 'compatible,' I'd try it anyway...mine worked.

3.) Is there a quality owners' manual available? The paper one included is waaaaaay simple.....the CD-ROM pdf version is better, but so basic. How many times must they say....'for more options...explore!' rather than explaining the facts.

4.) Can you calibrate the speed? On my Alpine, I can set what speed I usually travel...therefore it gives me an accurate arrival time. On the TomTom, I don't think I can...it seems to be calibrated to posted speed limits. So when you start a trip it says 'arrival in 8 hours.' then 'seven hours...' etc.

Thanks...all in all I LOVE the unit....just working thru some issues.

GPS Dude
ColinS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no answers but:
Quote:
3.) Is there a quality owners' manual available? The paper one included is waaaaaay simple.....the CD-ROM pdf version is better, but so basic. How many times must they say....'for more options...explore!' rather than explaining the facts.

I asked TomTom Support this question and got no reply. So I guess the answer is NO.

Colin

Honda Jazz EX-Navi MKIII
micke_011
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: New 910 User: Four Questions Reply with quote

GPS_Dude wrote:
Hi from a new member. I've had, and enjoyed the 910 for a week. I have a few questions....

1.) In the US, they have Baskin-Robbins and Dunkin Donuts as POI's. Any idea whether they'll add Starbucks as a stand-alone category? And also, T-Mobile Hotspots in the US?

it seems that you can have it in your 910 but it'll have you do a bit of work first. check these two topics:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56474
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61202

the starbucks database over at poihandler isn't any where near as complete as the one here on the forum, otherwise poiedit in combination with poihandler (as well as other poi sources) is a great way of adding valuable information to your tomtom.

GPS_Dude wrote:
4.) Can you calibrate the speed? On my Alpine, I can set what speed I usually travel...therefore it gives me an accurate arrival time. On the TomTom, I don't think I can...it seems to be calibrated to posted speed limits. So when you start a trip it says 'arrival in 8 hours.' then 'seven hours...' etc.

there have been other topics on the subject and i'm afraid the answer is no, there is no (known) way of changing any settings or altering the algorithm used to calculate your arrival time.

anyhoo, enjoy your 910, i have it as well and except for those somewhat annoying flaws (mainly car mount-related) it's a great piece of equipment and a neat travel companion!
GPS_Dude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Wow, Thanks! Reply with quote

That's an amazing list of poi's...thank you so much!

Now...the newbie shows how dumb he is.

I've downloaded the Starbucks .zip.

I assume I put it in one of the "tomtom" files...so that when I launch tomtom Home, I can transfer it.

But...which file do I put it in?

I'm reluctant to just 'try,' because I don't want to crash the 910.

Thanks for you patience....
GPS_Dude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Found It Reply with quote

OK, sorry...found the "POI Edit" site, thanks to your link!

I'll give it a shot....

Thanks again!
ThGrim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New 910 User: Four Questions Reply with quote

GPS_Dude wrote:

Hi and welcome to the forums, I have used this site for a couple of years, it has been a valuable resource for all things GPS. I am sure you will also experience this in due course.

GPS_Dude wrote:
2.) Will they add additional cell phone connectivity? I have a Treo 650, and it works for calls, but not for data, etc. BTW if your cell phone is not listed as 'compatible,' I'd try it anyway...mine worked.

Same happened to me with two different phones, O2 XDA SP and O2 XDA IQ nether of which is listed in the compatible phones list during plus setup, I tried it’s nearest model and it worked fine for voice (Bluetooh Hands Free) but not data(SMS to TTS). As far as improved connectivity, I have just asked TTS, I’ll post back when or if answered.

Enjoy your 910!
ThGrim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick responce from TomTom which indicates that they are indeed intending to increase the amount of compatible phones for the x10 range, here is their responce:

"We would like to thank you for your message to TomTom Customer Support

Your phone is currently not supported with regard to phone functions of models from the TomTom GO series.

It could very well be that a phone that is currently not being supported will be supported later on since the offer of mobile phones frequently changes. You can view the current compatibility list by using the link below.

www.tomtom.com/phones

When a phone is not supported it may mean that it has emerged after a test period that this phone is unsuitable for use with our software. In view of the fast developments in the phone world it could very well be that a version for your phone has not yet been brought out but that it will be offered in the future. We recommend always installing the latest update for your device. You can download the update by using the link below:

http://www.tomtom.com/downloads

Tip: In certain cases it is possible to set up a connection with the phone. We cannot, however, guarantee that this will be free of problems. You can select the phone type in one of the last windows. Select a phone of the same make in this case. You can in this way sometimes make use of the phone options.

Please do not hesitate in requesting further information if matters are still unclear.

Kind regards,

TomTom Customer Support Team"
GPS_Dude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the responses...I appreciate it.

I know that the Treo 650 is a very popular phone in the US...but even so, it's a bit quirky, and its Bluetooth is funky....works with many headsets like a charm, won't work well at all with others.

And I don't know, maybe it's not popular at all in Europe.

So, it may be more trouble than its worth, To the TomTom team.

But I'll keep checking back...thanks again for the links!
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this questions elsewhere and wasnt sure what to do with Starbucks, but now I'm going to download the starbucks poi file too for use with the 910 on my roadtrip in two weeks. Definitely helpful for the late night drives.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: