Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman crippling limitations with poi's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman crippling limitations with poi's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlickHammer wrote:

And why complain?

e-mail navman and complain.

Flick Twisted Evil

Why say e-mail Navman and complain if you have no intention of complaining yourself. Forums are not to just complain about things as I doubt anyone from Navman or TomTom have the time to sit reading forums.

END OF Exclamation
FlickHammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
FlickHammer wrote:

And why complain?

Flick Twisted Evil

Why say e-mail Navman and complain if you have no intention of complaining yourself. Forums are not to just complain about things as I doubt anyone from Navman or TomTom have the time to sit reading forums.

END OF Exclamation

I have mailed them myself

As for navman not listening to forum users then perhaps you can explain the reason they now have fixing the poor warning bleep as a top priority?

I'll tell you its because so many people on forums have been complaining.

And why should I waste my time complaining on a forum?
Because if others complained as well then navman would have to start listening.

Flick Twisted Evil
ShoxDr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it not be better if you could specify the distance.

Problem solved :D
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for navman not listening to forum users then perhaps you can explain the reason they now have fixing the poor warning bleep as a top priority?

Flickhammer
Seems to me you know something the rest of us don't. Could it be you work for Navman ? I am a little bit curious. You also talk alot about how easy it would be to fix, as if you know more than you are letting on. So what is your story?

The arrogance when you call the rest of us dim witted - surely you can do better, come one, put some effort in and be creative.
Unhban
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Flickhammer's gone quiet about the 8 second update of the screen....
dizzyfergy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, ill tell you how I see it. I have an icn 520 with a 1 gig Kingston 50 x SD card. I have UK and European maps loaded, I also have the latest UK and European speed camera data, as well as a pda hack to run the unit as a simple pda . This then contains all job data i.e. customers addresses, contact names and equipment required. The navman gets me to 99% of destinations with very little trouble and has probably saved me the odd speeding fine and penalty points .The screen is I think well laid out and instructions for me seem very clear, yes the screen refresh can be a bit jerky, but is no where as bad as an 8 second update .So I think I could live with the shi**y nearest poi function which I don’t use anyway .No I don’t work for navman, if anybody asks
darrenwright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got to agree with dizyfergy,
my ICN520 has got me to nearly 99% of my delivery points, the only 1% that has let it down is when there has been a new estate built within the last 10 months or so.
I only use the POI's for low bridges as iam an agency driver.
The GPS is only an aid & a good aid at that.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 second refresh rate....Laughing Out Loud Laughing I'm sure the police would have something to say about watching the screen that much to notice a refresh rate.
FlickHammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
Quote:

Flickhammer
Seems to me you know something the rest of us don't. Could it be you work for Navman ? I am a little bit curious. You also talk alot about how easy it would be to fix, as if you know more than you are letting on. So what is your story?

The arrogance when you call the rest of us dim witted - surely you can do better, come one, put some effort in and be creative.

I got the story of navman upgrading the warning sound from another forum post (it seemed genuine) , If I see it again I'll post a link for you.

No I don't work for navman but I've been into computer programming for around 25 years, once you learn one language you have a pretty good idea how the rest work even though you've never programmed it, navman probably only need to change a single byte of code to fix the 15 mile limit.

I keep ranting on about beaches but that's just because its a good case in point, once you realize the stupidity of beach poi's the rest will fall into place. If your more than 15 miles inland you cannot ask your navman to find the closest beach, once you realize that you should also realize other types of poi's are useless.

As for users being stupid, well if they continue to develop and collect poi's that don't actually work what other conclusion can you come to. Its like collecting cannon balls for a catapult.

Flick Twisted Evil
FlickHammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe in the case of poi's a better way to look at them is what "scope" do they need.

If your looking for a car park you want to find one within say 3 miles, same for a post office or petrol station.

If your looking for a speed camera you don't really need to know any further than say 1 mile.

But if your looking for a zoo, the chances are your going to need a scope of say 30-40 miles and most people would be willing to travel that kind of distance.

If the range for poi's were extended to 200 miles its simply wouldn't make the slightest difference to people looking for a car park, you'd still get a list of the closest 99 but for people searching for a beach to visit at least they would have a selection to choose from instead of just being told there are none.

This is not a difficult thing for navman to fix.

Flick
Twisted Evil
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it would be nice to be able to extend the range for nearest POI's and that it would be an easy fix. I do however place less importance on this, I usually use my ICN520 to find a route to a specific poi, albeit I often click on the map in the area I want to be in, and then find the nearest POI.

Terry Walsh
zzf00l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlickHammer wrote:

As for users being stupid, well if they continue to develop and collect poi's that don't actually work what other conclusion can you come to. Its like collecting cannon balls for a catapult.

Flick Twisted Evil

You really are being quite offensive.... whilst the majority of people using this site may not be 'techies' or 'programmers' we are generally people who are sharing knowledge with each other in a friendly way. If you have a particular beef with your choice of Sat Nav and would appreciate other members assistance then I respectfully suggest that you make any further approaches in a more civil manner... personally I am satisfied with my 530 :D
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzf00l wrote:
FlickHammer wrote:

Flick Twisted Evil

You really are being quite offensive.... whilst the majority of people using this site may not be 'techies' or 'programmers' we are generally people who are sharing knowledge with each other in a friendly way. If you have a particular beef with your choice of Sat Nav and would appreciate other members assistance then I respectfully suggest that you make any further approaches in a more civil manner... personally I am satisfied with my 530 :D

I'm pleased too, especially as I have no figured out how to get perfect TMC reception by positioning the aerial correctly :D
filgreen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strikes me this guy FlickHammer is just a serial ranter (check out his other post-another rant).

Get rid of the Navman if it's so poor and rant on some other forum.
FlickHammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

filgreen wrote:
Strikes me this guy FlickHammer is just a serial ranter (check out his other post-another rant).

Get rid of the Navman if it's so poor and rant on some other forum.

The navman demo I was talking about in the other thread IS fake, what's your point?

It is meant to represent the real-time use of a navman with one view from the car and another view to the navman running ultra silky smooth, I can exit the third turn (turn right on a small roundabout) before my screen updates.

http://www.navman-hosting.com/demo/selectindex.php?productid=0

If that's how you expect your navman to work your gonna be very disappointed when it comes through the post, navman clearly use despicable advertising tactics, what you see should be what you get.

Case closed ... Flick Twisted Evil

P.S.

I love my ICN530

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: