Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One - Does it display the speed limit of the camera?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One - Does it display the speed limit of the camera?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CobaltBlueUk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: TomTom One - Does it display the speed limit of the camera? Reply with quote

Hello! Few newbie questions...

(All assuming the relevent 3rd party software is present and installed). Please advise on what software Smile

Can a Tom Tom One display the speed limit that a camera is set to, when it alerts you.

Can it be configured (with xtra software) to voice the speed limit too e.g. "GATSO ahead, limit 30"

Can the tomtom just alert you for speed cameras without a route planned?

Thanks! In the market for a budget sat nav. Torn between the Garmin i3 and TomTom One. Opinons welcome!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom One - Does it display the speed limit of the came Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums a few Q's with answers (I hope)
CobaltBlueUk wrote:
(All assuming the relevent 3rd party software is present and installed). Please advise on what software Smile
Yes it will do this you need to subscribe to the PocketGPSWorld site in order to download the database, the charge is either £2 per month or £19 per year, note free membership will be awarded if you are the first to report the position and type of a new fixed camera, but you need to be a subscribed member for this to occur, also you gain access to the members are of the forums and the free to enter monthly draw.

CobaltBlueUk wrote:
Can a Tom Tom One display the speed limit that a camera is set to, when it alerts you.
The icons that form part of the downloaded database contain a visual indication which coresponds to the speed limit as applicable for that camera, so the unit will display the speed - note you will need the "Speed Zoned" database for this, there are a number of different options to download, but speed zoned gives you the most information.

CobaltBlueUk wrote:
Can it be configured (with xtra software) to voice the speed limit too e.g. "GATSO ahead, limit 30"
Yes you can "customise" the spoken alerts of your unit with free software available from this site CLICK HERE or have a look at these for additional variations

CobaltBlueUk wrote:
Yes, it just depends when you configure the "Warn When Near POI" in the TomTom preferences/ manage POI menu, you have two choices for the "Warn if POI on Route" selected it will only warn if a route is planned, if left unselected it will warn with or without a route planned
The above is relative to the TomTom product, the Garmin will do similar but you cannot load spoken voice alerts (as far as I know) - Mike

Last edited by mikealder on Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom One - Does it display the speed limit of the came Reply with quote

CobaltBlueUk wrote:
Hello! Few newbie questions...

Yes if you download the 24 cam files

Quote:
Can it be configured (with xtra software) to voice the speed limit too e.g. "GATSO ahead, limit 30

Only the 910 as far as i know

Quote:

Yes
CobaltBlueUk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow rapid response guys thanks!

couple more q's for you 8)

- Is the standard SD card ok for adding the extra camera POI's and are there any useful extra features that can be obtained by upgrading to a bigger SD card?

- I have read that the tomtom one is particulary good with those troublesome windscreens (I have a renault laguna) without an external aerial - can anyone confirm?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need the larger card if you intend loading up celebrety voices/ alternate voices etc, the only thing I would sugest in this area is that you get a good reputable card with as higher speed as possible, the cheap e-bay ones don't always work out, you should be able to get the speed camera files onto the card as they have a very small file size.

I would recomend a larger card, copy the original then lock the original away somewhere safe (after copying its contents to your PC as well of course) Back ups are allways recommended, but you would be surprised how often people simply don't do this.

As for your car, does it have athermic coated glass? - if so the unit will probably struggle without the external aerial, do you know anyone with a sat nav product? - if so see if they will put it in your car to see if it will work or not - if you have the athermic glass then I would probably try the unit without the external aerial if it works great, if not get the external aerial later, it might save you a few pounds if its not required - Mike
CobaltBlueUk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I would recomend a larger card, copy the original then lock the original away somewhere safe (after copying its contents to your PC as well of course) Back ups are allways recommended, but you would be surprised how often people simply don't do this.

While it just crossed my mind - would MMC cards work inplace of SD? I have loads of those lying about.

mikealder wrote:
do you know anyone with a sat nav product? - if so see if they will put it in your car to see if it will work or not -

Very good idea I will give that ago.

Is there a traditional "map book view" sort of mode so you can look at an area in 2D and move about, zoom in and out or follow a road like the equivalent of multimap.

Does it display the names of the roads as you turn onto them? Thanks for your help.
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brose map or you can plan a route and view it
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CobaltBlueUk wrote:
I have read that the tomtom one is particulary good with those troublesome windscreens (I have a renault laguna) without an external aerial - can anyone confirm?

I know it's not quite the same, but I have two Fords, both with heated front screens which apparently obstructed TT signals in a similar manner to the problems encountered with Renault reflective screens. I use a TTOne and have never had a problem with the Ford heated screen and always get a top signal. I assume therefore that it's reception is better than the older TT devices and perhaps this will also work well with the Renault screen.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't use an MMC card - not enough terminals!!
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
mb300tdGREEN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 128mb card that comes with the Tom Tom One UK British map is sufficient to take the 24 speed zoned files and the voice warning file for the cameras to replace the sounds. The card also took a John Cleese voice file. However, if you want to load more maps, then a larger card is necessary.
John
ColinS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I previously owned a Laguna and copilot live. It would not work at all without an external aerial. When I got my current car (a Ford Focus C-Max with heated screen) I tried it without the aeriel and it worked (just about) so I reconnected the aeriel but mounted it inside the windscreen and that worked fine.

My GO 510 works no problem without an external aerial (in the C-Max).

Hope this all makes sense but I think you may struggle without an external aerial on the laguna.

Honda Jazz EX-Navi MKIII
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ford electric screens comprise of a heater element embeded in the screen, whilst this will attenuate the sat signal it will still get through, the other system using athermic glass is a heat reflective layer applied to the screen when manufactured (IIRC someone once said it was titanium), this is very good at attenuating sat signals to the point of no / little reception. It is still worth giving a unit a try in the car without the external aerial, it might work, it might not.

If you need to use the external aerial, you should find the area behind the rear view mirror is left uncoated, so the external aerial is best tried in this location. - Mike
ColinS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the bottom left of the screen (where the tax disk goes) is also left uncoated for this very purpose but check with Renault.

Honda Jazz EX-Navi MKIII
mentalpostie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a peugeot 307 with athermic windscreen and i own a tomtom one and it works perfectly with these comfort screens that's the reason i got one, there was a review somewhere about the fact that the tomtom one use's a new chipset which gives a signal through these screens.

i've never had a problem at all with mine no matter where i place it in the car even on the back seat with no view of the sky it picks up a good signal and even in the house
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a traditional "map book view" sort of mode so you can look at an area in 2D and move about, zoom in and out or follow a road like the equivalent of multimap.

You can either browse a 2d "north up" map which still shows your vehicle as a moving arrow icon but doesn't automatically scroll. You can zoom, scroll manually, and tap to add POIs, favourites and departure point/destinations for navigation.
In normal navigation you can switch off the 3d display and have a 2d "travelling direction up" map display that does scroll, and can be zoomed temporarily, although it reverts back to its own zoom level after a few seconds (this zoom is somewhat dynamic - it zooms in at tricky junctions for example).

Quote:

Does it display the names of the roads as you turn onto them?

If you have a route set, it displays the name of the road you are about to turn into (or in other words the "next" road") at the bottom of the screen - if you want to see the name of the road you are on now, you have to tap the screen once.
If you have no route set, it displays the road you are actually on.

There is also an option to show the next "major" road name or number that you are heading for at the top of the screen. I don't bother with that, as often it will be the same as the information at the bottom.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: