Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio c510e - slow GPS??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio c510e - slow GPS??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Mio c510e - slow GPS?? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've got me a new c510e and i like the unit, however I have one main thing that bugs me - it can take 30 meters or so for the unit to realise i've turned off the road at a junction. i.e. I'll get 25-30 meters up the junction, looking at the Mio still showing i've gone straight ahead, then suddenly realises I haven't and snaps to my correct location.
It almost seems like the readings it's taking from the gps are a wee bit delayed/slow and it then realises i'm not heading in the direction i was.

I know these things aren't mega perfect, however I was using an Ipaq 5550 with a surfstar 3 GPS bluetooth receiver and tomtom and didn't have this issue at all. It tracked me perfectly.

I'm on my second Mio C510e unit as i didn't know if this was a fault or a feature.
(looks like a feature as this is exactly the same)

Has anyone else noticed this?

I've check with a mate who has a TomTom 500 who doesn't have this issue at all. (I'm thinking of possibly exchanging for a new tomtom 510)

I don't know if i might have noticed this if i hadn't had a GPS unit b4 as i'd be too busy going 'wow look at me on the map' However as i've had experience of it all working properly - it's make me think... do you get what you pay for? (the Mio is cheaper than a comparable spec Tomtom unit)

What I'm guessing is that the Ipaq/Tomtom units have a quicker satellite update rate - which keeps the marker on the map more accurate than the Mio? Can anyone confirm this?

Also i've had a few times when i've turned left at a crossroads - and the map does a 270 degree turn to the right! And sometimes i've had the map place me in a street 30 meters away from where i am .

Has anyone else noticed anything like this at all??? or am i being just too fussy?

your thoughts please.

Jase
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jason77

I don't think you're being too fussy as mine has one of the fastest/smoothest refresh rates I have ever used on a sat nav device.
Personally I wouldn't touch the TT510 with a bargepole, too many software bugs & mounting issues, but that's only my opinion. :D

CeeJay.
jason77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you're sitting with a c710, which is totally cool. hmmmmm (thx ceejay)

Anyone with a Mio c510 able to comment? - dunno if it's a 510 thing? or even an iffy batch?

J
gavsteryoung
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason,

I am new to the c510 and this forum, but I found the same problem with my MIO but think I found a soultion, give it a bash and tell me if you think its fixed the problem....

Load MioMap and then goto the setting button on the top right hand corner, select the "Advanced" button. At the very bottom de-select "Keep Position on Road" and have a go.

Very Occasionaly it still does it but its normally that the road configuration has changed compared to whats on the MAP.

I bought this to go in the wifes car which we use for touring, but I have run it side by side with the OEM system in my Audi and they both make similar mistakes..... but generally the MIO has better routes...

Hope this helps!

Gav
jason77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooo ill give that a try :D

cheers
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jason77"]so you're sitting with a c710, which is totally cool. hmmmmm (thx ceejay)

Anyone with a Mio c510 able to comment? - dunno if it's a 510 thing? or even an iffy batch?

I get the same thing on a C510E so it's not just you. I have a tinted windscreen but I don't know if the tint is a problem. I don't notice it when set to a route as there seems to be a bit of prediction about the software. When in cruise mode it is noticeable, especially when leaving a motorway, it takes about 50 yards or so before the arrow jumps from the main carriageway to the sliproad.

The device needs a changing position before it can determine which direction you are travelling in. As GPS is only accurate to about 10m there can be occasions when you are moving slowly around a corner where it can get confused, and show you going in the wrong direction! When you stand still the varying positions the receiver is calculating make the whole map rotate at times!

I don't think it is a real problem and it is noticeably more accurate when you turn off textured polygons (they don't do much for the maps anyway).

My main complaint is with the lack of apartment building addressing. It appears it is not possible to enter addresses such as Flat 24, Nelson Mandela House, Desmond Tutu Lane, Peckham EC4

Peasemold
Simebaby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same on my C510, when there is no route planned. When a route is planned then the turns are quick, presumably because the unit assumes you're following the directions it gives you.

I have to admit, I owned a TT One before the Mio, and this issue didn't seem any worse on the Mio than on the TT1.
jason77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the thought about it because i am free roam mode instead of following a route.. makes sense.

Luckily i don't visit flat numbers at all - i can see how that'd be an issue!

Cheers guys!
evian02
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I must admit, I've never noticed that before... Now that you guys mentioned it... yes, the arrow movement is slightly more responsive when the route is planned.
rondun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]My main complaint is with the lack of apartment building addressing. It appears it is not possible to enter addresses such as Flat 24, Nelson Mandela House, Desmond Tutu Lane, Peckham EC4
Quote:
Thats because flat 24 was destroyed in a bizarre home-made alcohol distillation accident. Flat 25 should work ok Wink

I have noticed the 710 is quite slow, especially when you go off route - but its not really that much of an issue. I think the polygons should have the biggest effect.
jason77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's it.. i was in free roam mode - now i actually planned a route, it's sweet and a lot smoother.

When I took the check off for 'keep on road' the marker hovered off the road for most of the trip Laughing Out Loud. So i've put that back on :D

Cheers Guys!
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 510 and have none of these problems. I've found it way better than ANY other gps unit I've owned. The movement is smooth and I'd say that it's easily accurate to less than 10m all the time.
Route calculation / recalculation is amazing - 2 to 3 seconds at most. An imaginary trip to Rome took 6 seconds to calculate (ok, I had a few minutes to kill and it is a nerdy thing to do)!

Maybe there's a dodgy batch or I just have a good one but I'm totally happy with mine!

---------------------------
Ravi
Archos AV500
Mio 510e
Nokia 770 Internet Tablet
Zaurus 860
WooHooo..
---------------------------
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just taken my first GPS ,a Nuvi 310d, back for a refund due to issues with the TMC receiver.
Although pretty impressed with the Garmin as I would ideally like TMC capability I've also been looking at the MIO 710.However despite the generally positive user comments two things have undoubtedly put me off.

Firstly, the fact that you cannot download third party camera databases. I have seen there may be some progress on this but I simply do not want to be tied to Mio, particularly as there is some uncertainty over what happens after the years free updates.
And secondly it appears from the many forum posts the Mio technical support just stinks, with premium rate phone lines and unanswered emails.I have actually emailed Mio as a prospective customer for information and and as yet haven't heard a thing.

If they can't be bothered to reply why should I hand over a pile of cash for one of their products?
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To RDS.

Whilst all existing C510/710 users share your concern over the 2 points you mention, you will still find that, overall, it's an excellent product.
By all means give the others a try, but I have a sneaking suspicion you'll be back. Laughing

CeeJay.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C510/710 may be good products but the inability to download other databases and v.poor customer support are fairly major reasons as to why not to buy. If the units are reliable, intuitive and trouble free then maybe technical support isn't as important as it ought to be, however essentially ignoring their customers and not being able to use third party databases is a big, big minus. For these reasons alone I'm still v.reluctant to hand over the readies.

Having said that one thing that might make me change my mind is how good the TMC feature is on the C710. Amongst other things this is one of the things high on my list of priorities and why I originally bought a Nuvi 310D.
As yet Tom Tom haven't got a date for a TMC receiver and I'll wait and see what Garmin come up with before considering another Nuvi 310 with GM12 receiver.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: