Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC Receiver, Does it Exist ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC Receiver, Does it Exist ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMC is connected through the serial port of the GOs. So with a little bit of "bricolér" you may be able to get it to work on the older GOs. Will need a level shifter though (from TTL to RS232)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's the 13th today... no stock in argos yet! Typical Evil or Very Mad
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
From the Traffic Message Channel forum on this site yesterday

SpeedCam wrote:
Due into the Argos warehouse 12/8, should be available in stores 13th or 14th.

This date has been confirmed by both TomTom & Argos

STILL NOT HERE Evil or Very Mad Anybody know when/if companies will get stock??!!
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of days ago I posted the following in the Traffic Message Channel (TMC) forum on this site:

'A post on another Sat Nav forum (yournav.com) is reporting the estimated shipping date for the TT TMC receiver to now be around the end of September.'
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think TomTom are delaying the release date of the RDS TMC receiver due to the upcoming new Firmware update?

It's just at present, the traffic preferences or anywhere in the preferences options does it state to use the TMC receiver.

Perhaps in the new firmware update the go range will support this.

Just a though Wink

lydiachris
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The release is delayed because frankly it simply isn't up to being put out there amongst us sceptics.
As the past track records suggests, they can't afford another debacle, more so now that offical bodies are looking at them a little too close for their likeing, allegedly of course!!.
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well TMC already works.. Garmin have a receiver for it for example.

So what exactly can TT get wrong? Their receiver has to provide the decoded data to the satnav, and that has to display it - which it already does with TT traffic anyway (so all the rerouting stuff.. the hard bit.. already works).

Unless of course the reception is pants & it keeps cutting out... I would hope that is has the option to attach to the aerial cable on the head unit.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin may have TMC receivers available but as a couple of active threads on here show they aren't particularly impressive with loads of reports of poor and inconsistent reception.
I took my Nuvi310d back to Halfords for a refund as the GTM12 wasn't working consistently enough to make it worthwhile. Recent reports suggest that Garmin have traced the problem to the 12v power lead. If true this will prove costly as it will require replacing all those bought in the UK.

Obviously there's a lot of frustration among those waiting for the TT receiver but equally they all will want something that works and works properly than the frustrations of something that doesn't. After the various x10 series mount issues TomTom must be anxious to avoid more expensive new product problems , both in PR and cash terms.
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tomtom Go 910 has been available to buy from the begining of May this year & there sales talk said that all accessories would be available at the same time, now nearly 15 weeks have past & there is still no sign of the TMC reciever. They must have had these working well before they issued there sales talk of having everything on sale at the same time so what are they playing at? They say they will be available the 3rd Quarter of this year, but this is just not good enough for a company such as there's, they should by now be able to give us an exact date for release instead of this secret service rubbish. So come on Tomtom where are they?
Ex. owner TomTom One v.5.420 Map UK v.605
Ex. owner Garmin i3 v.2.7 Map UK V.7
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Tom Tom have said their TMC receiver will be available in the 3rd quarter then they aren't behind schedule as this allows up to the last day of September.

Obviously I can understand the frustration however I don't imagine TomTom are withholding a perfect product from sale just for the sheer hell of it. The fact that it isn't available yet leads one to believe that there are still isses which need to be sorted.

What would you prefer a substandard product now or something that is fully working (hopefully) in another month or two ?
If you have a proof that TomTom said the TMC receiver would be available by a certain date and also that you bought your Tom Tom GPS on that basis I believe you may be entitled to a refund if that's what you prefer.
ColinS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't imagine TomTom are withholding a perfect product from sale just for the sheer hell of it.

Not when they are selling subscriptions to Traffic Wink .

Quote:
What would you prefer a substandard product now or something that is fully working (hopefully) in another month or two ?

Make that three or four months and let somebody else iron out the bugs in the real world Merry Xmas

Honda Jazz EX-Navi MKIII
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:

Quote:
If you have a proof that TomTom said the TMC receiver would be available by a certain date and also that you bought your Tom Tom GPS on that basis I believe you may be entitled to a refund if that's what you prefer.

Proof you say well it was on there website when they were leading up to the release of the 910 which clearly stated that ALL ACCESSORIES would be available at the 910 release. I don't want a refund, I just want an exact date from Tomtom when they are going to sell the TMC reciever. And as I already said in my earlier thread it is now 15 weeks since the release date of the TMC reciever. Nobody wants shoddy gear but this does not change things as far as i'm concerned, they should certainly not have said they would release stuff if it is no where near ready for sale which it obviously is not.

Quote:
If Tom Tom have said their TMC receiver will be available in the 3rd quarter then they aren't behind schedule as this allows up to the last day of September.

This date of 3rd Quarter is just another way of saying we have not got a clue when it will be released for sale after there big mistake of telling everybody of its earlier release.
Ex. owner TomTom One v.5.420 Map UK v.605
Ex. owner Garmin i3 v.2.7 Map UK V.7
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh! How cynical.
I'd imagine that due to the amount of coverage the impending TMC receiver has been getting, including being in the Argos catalogue, subscriptions to TomTom traffic would have been rapidly declining not increasing. Most who have TT x10 GPS are more than aware of a receiver coming so are probably unlikely to pay an annual subscription for something that will soon be superceded.
If TT really wanted to increase their TT Traffic subscriptions they would either give a release date months and months away or even not at all.

Also, because of the complexity of the technology involved I'm sure the majority of the companies who operate in this area tend to use general release dates ie quarters so TomTom aren't really doing anything out of the ordinary.
Not being a gamer I'm not 100% sure but weren't things like XBox, 360 and others given approx dates, with at least one being massively delayed ?

Despite acting as a sort of apologist for TomTom I'm eagerly awaiting their TMC receiver myself.It's just that after returning a Garmin Nuvi 310D, precisely due to having poor and intermittent TMC reception, I'm willing to wait for something that is fully developed and working, even if that is another month or three.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dare I say it, the TMC is vapour ware.

Ignoring the above, there should be no excuse when there's a less than 100% perfect TMC reciever released. I suspect, like all other TomTom releases it will be flawed, but this time there will be no excuse....
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: becareful FM aerial Reply with quote

[quote="TonyHoyle"]Well TMC already works.. Garmin have a receiver for it for example.

So what exactly can TT get wrong? quote]

Garmins 310D does not work properly and there are hundreds of people who would agree there are many issues surrounding this peoblem, so dont rush into buying a pile of rubbish, well not just yet. Im sure there will be issues with the TT product unless it is very well tested...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: