Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Message to Mitac
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Message to Mitac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Message to Mitac Reply with quote

Your new products, the C510 and C710 are superb. Congratulations on designing an excellent product and selling it at a good price.
Unfortunately, you are treating your customers disgracefully.
*You force them use your own camera database instead of the better ones that are available.
*They don't know what will happen after the year's free updates are over. How much will they have to pay in future to 'sync' with your camera database?
*It appears that you might use customers' own correction to update your camera database. If so, what method do you use to check they are accurate before you include them for others to download? Why won't you describe what happens during the 'sync' process and how you get your updates?
*You have made it impossible for the user to import either camera or non-camera POI's other than by typing them in one by one.
*The bluetooth handsfree doesn't work properly with some phones but you don't publish any guidance on compatibility - other manufacturers do.
*You ignore customers' emails asking for support, after they have taken the trouble to carefully describe their problems.
*You charge £0.35 per minute for a telephone help line that won't/can't answer the questions posed above.
*You charge £0.35 per minute even for potential customers who want more information before buying.
*The more complaints that are published on bulletin boards like this one, the more people are going to be put off buying your products. Which is a great shame because they are very good.
Mitac - are you listening?
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sal.

I hope they are.
I used their helpline @ £0.35 a minute and was put on hold for 9 minutes, then when I finally got through to someone they couldn't answer my query so that was more than £4 down the drain. Evil or Very Mad
E-mails remain unanswered too. Evil or Very Mad
I think they seriously need to address the issue of importing other camera databases as theirs are woefully out of date, and I feel we should have the choice of which database we use, as some other sat nav manufacturers give you the option.
I have to agree that the tech support is hopeless on an otherwise excellent product, and if Mitac got their act together, could wipe the floor with the competition.

Listen up Mitac, your future could depend on it!

CeeJay
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:o oh my god guys, theyve updated their page i think with this bluetooth compatible list guide

heres the link
http://www.mio-tech.be/products/Personal_Navigation_Devices/C510/bluetooth-compability-C510E.php

thought id post it to help peeps out Wink [/url]
Edit once to re-activate link - MikeAlder
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this is a prime example of a third rate company who have, more or less by accident, stumbled across a first rate product. It's every consumer's worst dilemma.
Personally, my Mio has been a reliable and excellent tool that I would buy again in a heartbeat. Sure, it's not perfect but right here, right now it does more than I need it to do, the way that I need it done.

Given the circumstances, I don't see what else I could ask for.

I'm sure that most other Mio 510/710 owners feel the same way. How many Tomtom / Garmin owners would say the same thing?

Ravi
TheInspector
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post Sal.
I have copied it and emailed it to mio "support" with an url for this forum.
Suggest anyone with a Mio does likewise. The more who protest, the more they will take note and improve their shoddy "support".
Again I have suggested they look in on these forums and help out.
They still have not replied to my email.

You can contact "support" here:

http://tinyurl.com/kfasc

Next stop a Googlebomb?
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Message to Mitac Reply with quote

I think that Sallyann the rest of you on this forum have put to paper (typed) Embarassed what we all have been thinking.

Support, Support, Support is the major requirement of any new device.
Unfortunately Mio have fallen down in this department. Any device is as good as its support, in this case the device is better but to some people support is more important than the support itself.

I must confuss that if I knew that the support system for Mio was this bad I would have missed out on owning such a good device.
Lets hope that Mio does something to improve their support function.

Wink I think I may have enthasised SUPPORT a bit much Wink
_Brian_
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Same experience with Mitac Reply with quote

I too have experienced unsatisfactory experience with Mitac support. I have an A201 and have been waiting since March for a Firmware update to deal with a changing device number (needed for TomTom compatibility). I was originally told mid-April by Mitac support, but recently advised that there is no problem with TomTom compatibility (back to square one).

In their responses to my e-mails, they have been responding like a typical politician .... answering the question they wished I asked vs the one I actually asked. I have learned a lesson that I need to ensure that product support will be there before buying a product in the future.

Mitac .... I'm done with you
APMorton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mailed them also suggesting they visit this forum as a matter of urgency. however it's worth bearing in mind that previous MIO products have not exactly "turned peoples heads" so to speak, until now tha is, with the 510 and 710 range, maybe just maybe this has taken them by surprise as well. Let's give them a chance to get their act together.
That said, the phone compatability page (mentioned above) is a start but it doesn't include the Motorola V3 which by the way works perfectly.

Let's hope the see sence and sorth themselves out.

Rolling Eyes
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks anarchyuk for pointing out the bluetooth phone link.
Unfortunately one of the phones they have listed does NOT work properly. I had already emailed them to ask if there was a way of working round the problem - but without reply of course.

Sal
toibs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just called the support line and spoken to a very helpful lady called (Something like) Marissa....

I explained that i wanted to be able to import POI's into the unit. a simple proceedure that every other unit does. I also explained that there were around 10-20 people that i know of in the last few days that are in the same position where they desparately want to be able to import POI's in any of the major formats (.asc, .csv - in fact in any other format, be it generic or otherwise!)....

I heard her typing away furiously. she said that she has escallated the issue to the head of technical, took my e-mail address, and said that i should hear back soon.

Now wether this is the "we will contact you soon" issue that everyone gets from the website and doesnt hear anything i dont know.

Will keep my fingers tightly crossed....you never know...shame that you cant do it out of the box, as had i known that it wouldnt do POI's then i would never have bought it in the first place Sad

Paul
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news toibs, you have got 2 steps further than anybody else including myself has got.
1. You have managed to make contact and spoken to someone helpful (I wonder how long you had to wait in the queue @ 0.35€ per min Rolling Eyes )
AND
2. You managed to get something logged (it would seem Smile )

In regards to "we will contact you soon" I've never had that at all. I've had nil as a response. :x

Well done. Well are at least 1 stage up the ladder now and we owe it to you.
Thanks
toibs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deejay,

I wouldnt hold out loads of confidence. I havent heard diddly back from them yet!!!

Paul

P.s. Work for a Uk Telco. Cost me nothing ;)
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
Thanks anarchyuk for pointing out the bluetooth phone link.
Unfortunately one of the phones they have listed does NOT work properly. I had already emailed them to ask if there was a way of working round the problem - but without reply of course.

Sal

Smile no bother sallyann, a pleasure to always try and help out
Bluetrack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speedcam database is useless for anyone travelling in Sweden. The number of cams listed are 1.427 (1 aug -06) which is roughly 300% more than the actual ones.

There are more reliable speedcam databases for anyone travelling in Sweden (www.poidatabase.se).

I've chosen to use Tomtom v5.21 instead of Mio Map much due to this.

I haven't had any problems, so therefor my experience with customer support is none.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: