Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketPC GPS at aldi next week - £349.99
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketPC GPS at aldi next week - £349.99
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not afraid to start from afresh then the easiest way to resolve this is to peform a 'hard reset' which will set it back to factory defaults. You can then re-install any additional software inclusing the Navigator application.

A quick search on Google revelas that there should be a switch or reset button ton the rear of the unit, this may be covered in the manual.

Once you have done this, when you switch on you should be prompted to go through the set-up procedure, align the screen etc.

Hope this helps Question
harry66
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two points.
TT2:
1. I just realised about the software activation so I guess I cant really try TT2 out on mine. Also, dont want to risk my PDA up after reading about the probs above.

How to perform Hard Reset:
2. My Medion PDA would not start despite having a fully charged battery. So I ran the Tech Support number and they talked me thru a hard reset:
Switch off, remove battery, slide battery backup switch to off and then poke the reset hole with your stylus. Leave for a while, put battery back in, slide switch to on position, replace battery cover and switch on. You should a clean PDA again.

Thanks for the help.
ashleyw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Did a hard reset and all is well.
No more problems.
mrhumphreys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
It will run on anything from CE3 upwards (incl MIPS/SH3) through PPC2002 to Windows Mobile 2003.

Cheers Dave,

I've just hard reset the Medion and installed it on the Ipaq with a Navman Sleeve and set the GPS com port to that seen in the GPS Status app. It never finds a signal. If I soft reset and run TT2 it all works fine as TT.

Any ideas?

Do I need a new driver to make the 2 talk?

Has anyone else successfully tried this?

Many thanks,

Matthew
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should work on other Pocket PC hardware, however we have received some reports to say that the Medion software is in-fact hard coded to the GPS, so it won't work with other GPS Receivers. Lutz has been investigating this and believes you can change some options in an INI file under Navigon, but I don't know what INI file that is, and which settings need to be changed, I'm guessing you need to change the COM port and baud rate.
mrhumphreys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response.

Will wait to see if Lutz has any luck with the ini file!

Fingers Crossed!

Many thanks,

Matthew
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do read the full terms and conditions of the license agreements as these sorts of things are usually put in place for a reason. SOme license agreements will allow you to use the software with another GPS, but some won't, so before attempting to make any changes please make sure that what you are doing is covered by these terms and conditions.
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
It should work on other Pocket PC hardware, however we have received some reports to say that the Medion software is in-fact hard coded to the GPS, so it won't work with other GPS Receivers. Lutz has been investigating this and believes you can change some options in an INI file under Navigon, but I don't know what INI file that is, and which settings need to be changed, I'm guessing you need to change the COM port and baud rate.

Works perfectly for me with our Road Angel..
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Still available Reply with quote

Just to let you know that Aldi in Liverpool still have 4 available. Oops no only 3 available as I just bought one.
As I know have learned that the UK has received a more modern version of this offer; i.e. PXA255 400Mhz, PocketPC2003, etc...I thought I couldn't go wrong...If I don't like it, I can return it...
But so far so good, still not my bugbear resolved as in TMC information, but I also bought a traffic master for only 25.95 including a years subscription...So I two box operation for now, but very pleased...
mrhumphreys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coastersteve wrote:
Dave wrote:

I got the following from their support people:

"Our software is always shipped with a compatible GPS receiver. It is not possible to buy our software "naked" without a GPS receiver. We use our own protocol to communicate with the GPS receiver, so it's very likely that your Navman Sleeve won't work."

Has Lutz gad ay luck?
mrhumphreys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrhumphreys wrote:
coastersteve wrote:
Dave wrote:

I got the following from their support people:

"Our software is always shipped with a compatible GPS receiver. It is not possible to buy our software "naked" without a GPS receiver. We use our own protocol to communicate with the GPS receiver, so it's very likely that your Navman Sleeve won't work."

Has Lutz gad ay luck?

That should have said "Has Lutz had any luck?"

Sorry!
Etwell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a while since this thread started and I was wondering how you are all getting on with your Aldi bundles now that you have had them operating for a few weeks.

Please let the rest of us know if all the running about was worth it. Thanks.
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I am finding it better than expected,

I am only starting to use it in earnest this week, as I just sold my car with a built in SatNav, and am now using the medion for full time satnav.

I am using the Medion Software for the UK, (I did install TomTom2 for the UK), but have since reverted to the Medion Maps as I prefer the quicker route calculation, and more up to date maps, although I must admit I do miss the 3D Mode of TT2.

On the second MM Card, I have erased the Medion Software and installed my TomTom USA software for work. The 256MB card covers about 1/3 of the US at a time,

I have found the lightness of the unit to be a great advantage over my previous unit (Ipaq5550), and although it shows cheapness of build, I have not found any disadvantage to this yet.

All in all a real superb unit

And if anyone is looking my Local Aldi still has them available as of the 13th December at £349.99 (We are a bit out in the sticks here!)

Regards

Victoria
Coupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working really well, also being used as a work tool with outlook, excel etc.
My only slight issue would be that the route that it works out is not necessarily a good route but I generally now just use it when I'm getting near to the place I'm trying to find and rely on my own navigation skills to get me to that point but to be fair, even relying totally on the satnav gets you there eventually.
Find the POI Warner for speed cameras isn't 100% though, quite a few false entries and missing ones even using the PoiHandler and this site's databases combined, guess you get what you pay for.

All in all though, excellent package for an equally excellent price.
UrbanNavigator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etwell was asking how we are getting on with the package.

Mine is working quite well, although I am not impressed with the stability of the operating system and/or some software I've bought/downloaded. The software is PDA Defense (encryption software), The Sky, POI Warner and Pocket Dictionary.

Something in there causes the PDA to lock up quite regularly, needing at least one soft reset per day. Every now and again the Active Sync via USB stops working and needs a hard reset and re-install of the software - this doesn't take long but leaves a bad impression of the whole setup. I don't know the cause as it will then work OK for 2 or 3 weeks.

The navigation software (and POI Warner) is OK, but the "quickest" routes seem a little odd: For example from my home village to another some 12 miles away the quickest route is via a "C" road, yet Navigon would have you take a 5 mile extra route to avoid a C road at all costs, even to the point of trying to route you from that road once on it. On the return journey it wanted to go into the centre of a town rather than use the bypass even though going into the town centre was a longer journey anyway.

I don't like the "turn half left, turn half right" nonsense that is sometimes spoken... what does that really mean?

The POI Warner software doesn't understand miles per hour, for example there is a 50 mph limit sign near me that someone has uploaded as "50" which is obviously understood to be 50 kph. The use of speed limit warnings is therefore doubtful. Being able to add mobile speed camera locations is very handy, it's a pity more people aren't adding camera locations as few seem to be listed where I drive (I do add them when I pass them).

I'm keeping all the disks and packaging and will probably return mine to Aldi if I see a reasonably priced package elsewhere, I can't believe such dodgy software has reached the market place. Maybe it's not Medions fault, but I am using quite well respected software and it behaves very badly. Anyone else suffering from intermittent software glitches?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: