Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Right Place to Ask About I-Blue?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Right Place to Ask About I-Blue?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4700 I am using is loaded with the HP supplied upgrade to ROM version 1.10.08 ENG I have no issue with it at all, yes it runs hot at times but it seams to handle this quite happily, I have never considered loading an over-clocker utility to slow it down and therefore reduce the heat build up (you can use the over clocker to under clock a PDA if need be - just thought I would add this as an idea if you are concerned at heat build up).

As for WM2005 on the 4700, yes I have tried this and its a waste of both time and money, it turns a perfectly usable device into something that struggles to do anything - avoid this at all costs, if you want the advantages of a WM2005 equipped PDA then purchase a new one that was designed to run this operating system from the outset - been there got the tee-shirt etc, not worth trying IMHO.

I have two Holux GPSlim236 devices and both make a noise if you press them in the middle of their case, but I don't do this, as it serves little purpose. As a matter of fact I have never noticed this until now, but it will be caused by the plastic latches within the case moving as pressure is applied, the case certainly will not fly apart, they are quite difficult to get in to (and I have tried - with success - just to see what was in the little beauty). I stick the units down in the car using self adhesive velcro one side stuck in the car the other side to the underneath of the GPS unit (works every time irespective of GPS device) - wouldn't want to see one fly out of an open window!

As to using the other unit from Alex with the 4700 I will give it a try next week and see what happens (should reduce the battery weight if I can get those sort of durations from it) - camping light for me, wife and kids take the kitchen sink etc!! - Mike
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. Most especially for the WM5 info.

I am quite sure that the reason it gets hot is because of a bug in some app, like the BT stack, which causes a frantic, senseless loop, consuming most CPU resources. This only happens about once/week.

As to the 236, the concern is build-quality. When I carry the 236 in my pocket (so I can find my car again, at big events), the back cover never fails to come off. I think the 236 has a low build-quality, compared with the Emtac BT pod. Wondering how the M5 compares?

I have my 236 on (3M plastic hermaphroditic) velcro attached to the windshield in front of the mirror. Out of the way, great exposure, easy to remove, protected from sun by the windshield tinting band, and from the outside the lights look like a special car alarm. I've installed a cigarette-lighter plug above the headliner, so plug in the power plug, and run the wire out to the pod.

I've essentially decided to buy the M5 now. I imagine the build quality of that and the i-Blue is the same, since they're obviously of the same manufacture.

I'd like to thank you guys at Pocket GPS World for your help. When I asked these questions over at Passion, he acted like he had no idea what I was talking about. Somebody asks over there which is the 'best' pod, and they are asked "well, what is best". Then I am specific about multipath, and it is a dumb look in my direction. Recalcitrant.

Kudos to Pocket GPS World!
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that HP has posted an update for WM5.

This is said to bring performance to better than WM2003.

Doesn't do me any good though, as I run Debian. I install iPaq software through Win2k running in a VMware virtual machine, which presents a virtual USB hub. Can't install iPaq updates through a USB hub...
I know, from having to send my 4700 back to he factory for them to fix, after trying.[/url]
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the I-Blue worked fine with the Ipaq-4700 as we assumed it would, its got a great battery life and worked well in my pocket (managed to flatten the battery in the 4700 though Embarassed my fault so got some applications to re-load now I am back home) - Mike
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my i.Trek M5 now. Build quality is definitely better than the Holux236.

Although, it is less sensitive than the SiRF3 chipset. Only get 4 birds in the house, compared with 9 for the Holux, but I am confident it will be stable in downtown Ecotopia, as opposed to Holux's skidding-skating-sliding me all out in the grass and off the bridge.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: