Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n4nick wrote:
Not quite sure what this means...which info is more up to date?
If you are receiving a good strong signal (yeah yeah, I know) then Trafficmaster should refresh all their data every 3-4 minutes, which is based on their road sensors, which report detail pretty constantly, so within 5 minutes of all the traffic dispersing, the Nuvi should reflect this.
Quote:
Perhaps it's an issue with their sensors?
They certainly have had the odd problem with their sensors, but I have to say they are normally pretty accurate - as I headed towards the NW section of the M25, the TM sensors were saying it wasn't good, so I avoided it - speaking to others who stayed on via the M25, it wasn't good at all.
Quote:
I still have my suspicions that the traffic info from Trafficmaster just isn't as up to date as it should or could be.
The general consensus is it's more accurate than the traffic data from iTIS holdings (the other traffic data supplier)...
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n4nick wrote:
unfortunately I don't think there is a signal strength indicator on the nuvi?
I've been told their is via the diagnostic menus, but there's certainly not one like the SP26xx have.

Quote:
My impression from a few previews on the internet is that the tomtom user interface with the TMC is better, giving information on the length of the expected delay and when the information was updated? Or was I confusing this with the tomtom plus service currently on offer via GPRS?
Whether received via TMC or GPRS, the TomTom service is from iTIS Holdings.

Quote:
The receiver also plugs into the mount rather than the sat-nav itself so I am guessing there are less likely to be issues with failure of the connection (see another recent thread).
Agreed, although there are other problems with the latest TomTom mount, so nothing's perfect right now (although the new mount design should fix that)...

Quote:
price of the nuvi seems to be coming down too.
Halfords exclusive on the 310D is coming to an end I think, plus Garmin must be trying to ensure it competes with the TomTom range where it can - both factors are likely to see some price reduction over the next few months.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT-Mech wrote:
This gets more confusing as time goes on! Right, powered the Nuvi and GTM12 via the supplied usb lead from a desktop pc and guess what? Traffic reports from here to Scotland within 30secs of switching the thing on.
Strange as it seems traffic reports appeared to be received quicker if I held the tip of the aerial lead (insulation still attached), back in the car, nothing regardless of what I did with the aerial lead.
When you tried it back in the car, was it still being powered from the computer (laptop), or was it using the Garmin cigarette power lead? If the Garmin, was the LED on it green? If you've got one, try a different cigarette to mini USB cable and see if that fixes the problem - it might be the car blocking the signals (which car is it?), it might be the power of the power lead, or it might still be the strength of the signal being broadcast.
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Swing

From reading info about both Trafficmaster and Itis I would agree that the Trafficmaster system sounds like it should be more effective, although I can see the potential for the Itis system to overtake it, as and when they have more vehicles participating in their FVD scheme.

I am advised that in theory that the Trafficmaster system works on a 3 minute cycle but in reality this may be different. I saw slow moving lanes in several places on the Southbound A1 last week but no idication of prolems from TMC. Perhaps the queues were unluckily between sensors?

Anyway, nothing's perfect and in conjunction with local radio reports the system certainly gives you a fighting chance of avoiding jams.

Nick
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
When you tried it back in the car, was it still being powered from the computer (laptop), or was it using the Garmin cigarette power lead? If the Garmin, was the LED on it green? If you've got one, try a different cigarette to mini USB cable and see if that fixes the problem - it might be the car blocking the signals (which car is it?), it might be the power of the power lead, or it might still be the strength of the signal being broadcast.

In the car it was powered by the laptops internal battery(wish I'd run a mains lead to it now). As for the cigar lighter power supply. I've never seen a green LED on it yet.

I drive a Picasso and yes it has a 12v power socket in the rear but on checking the wiring diagram its feed comes from the same point as the cigar lighter. I was starting to suspect the cars multiplex electrical system but seeing that the Nuvi can be run off a USB lead which runs at between 4.75v and 5.25 v I suspect its more of power supply problem (ie) the cigar charger or the internal software of the Nuvi that controls the 2 USB ports.
Woms
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI I have a Nuvi 310 with a GMC 11 and I have experienced exactly the same problems as those I have read above.

It seems the only fix right now is to have the aerial connected to the car's main antenna. Not hugely helpful I know.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woms wrote:
It seems the only fix right now is to have the aerial connected to the car's main antenna. Not hugely helpful I know.
On another forum, a Nuvi/GTM11 user has jsut confirmed that a different cigarette power cable made his GTM11 reliable (as it has for some others with the GTM12), so attaching to the car's main antenna may be one of a number of solutions to the problem.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n4nick wrote:
I saw slow moving lanes in several places on the Southbound A1 last week but no idication of prolems from TMC. Perhaps the queues were unluckily between sensors?
The TM sensors record part of the number plate at each sensor and relay that information back to their HQ - as such they measure the average speed between the two sensors. (The older TM sensors, still in place on many motorways, only recorded the speed of the traffic at that point, which meant traffic had to build up for upto a few miles before they 'saw' it).

As such, slow moving lanes should cause the information to appear on the TM system, although it tends to not report minor delays (less than 15 minute delays).
Woms
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Woms wrote:
On another forum, a Nuvi/GTM11 user has jsut confirmed that a different cigarette power cable made his GTM11 reliable (as it has for some others with the GTM12), so attaching to the car's main antenna may be one of a number of solutions to the problem.

Interesting, thanks for that. Which forum, so I can have a read?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent you a PM.
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Garmin Email Reply with quote

Hi

I have just had an Email from Garmin re the GTM12 problem, apparently there is a transmitter problem and they are liasing with Trafficmaster regarding this problem. So keep our fingers crossed.

Mind you, I am still having reasonablee service in the WA1 postcode (M6 J21) area.

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it was a fluke or maybe the transmitter has been fixed but, as soon as I pressed the 'Agree' screen on the way home from work yesterday traffic info' came rolling in, it pick up traffic info even before it connected to the phone......Now thats a first! 8O
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin Email Reply with quote

deesoft wrote:
I have just had an Email from Garmin re the GTM12 problem, apparently there is a transmitter problem and they are liasing with Trafficmaster regarding this problem.
Having spent some time playing and experiencing the problems over the last couple of days, I disagree with this being the problem.

For example, by the time I arrived home last night my unit had no traffic data, yet a power off and power on (and plugging into a my computer), and lo! all the traffic appeared again. In fact, I think it only lost the traffic data due to losing power during the journey.

Given it takes Garmin about 4-5 weeks to respond to emails, is it possible they were referring to the outage of a few weeks back, which probably was a transmitter problem...
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: bingo Reply with quote

I have just purchase one and i immediately downloaded the drivers using the auto update power wise everything works fine.

Still unsure about RAC activation it says that i need to receive a signal before activation 'life time membership' anyone clear that up please.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: bingo Reply with quote

wilburforce wrote:
I have just purchase one and i immediately downloaded the drivers using the auto update power wise everything works fine.
You must be lucky - many people find the traffic data less reliable when powered in the car.

Quote:
Still unsure about RAC activation it says that i need to receive a signal before activation 'life time membership' anyone clear that up please.
It seems to do that - give it while, let it pick up the GPS signal and the traffic data for a while, and you'll find it'll list it as a lifetime subscription. I think that warning appears the first time you go into that screen, even if it's already downloaded traffic data and the GPS position.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 4 of 44

Jump to: