Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it's worth trying those Maplin ferrites as a cheap solution until Garmin can supply the new adaptors - it certainly looks cheaper than a Motorola charger...
Mike200447
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Garmin GTM 12 not working / power supply issues Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Sigh - once I was back home, the Nuvi has picked up traffic as normal (connected to my main PC) - hopefully it will now keep it for the next week, as I need it more than usual (travelling near to the M25 every day).

Mike - nice to know you fixed it with a Motorola charger - can you confirm which model charger it was (ie the model of the charger, not of the phone it's for), I think it might be the VC700..? Also, is the lead curly or straight, and how much cable is there - I can only just reach from my socket to my Nuvi with the Garmin USB cable...

The Motorola charger unit that fixed all my problems is part no SYN0847A with curly lead that fits perfectly across from centre console behind steering wheel to right hand of screen in my A3.
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a SPV 500/550 charging lead/plug for the past few days and the traffic updates have improved, but I wouldn't say its anything like what can be obtained by having the Nuvi connected to the PC.
What I have noticed is that if the battery is charging at anything above about 10ma there's no chance of getting any traffic updates, which makes sense with this line noise issue, the bigger the current flow the greater the noise/feedback.
Another thing is the battery never reaches 100%, maybe it's because it's only had 3 recharge cycles, I don't know Rolling Eyes Anyone else know what their max battery reading has been?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, certainly the latest firmware has helped - having parked up yesterday morning with no traffic displayed, I updated the firmware and then set my Nuvi up last night - within a minute or two I had pages of traffic information, which was very good.

However, I then returned home (to a bad radio reception area), and lost all traffic (as generally expected), which was a shame as I was hoping it would have been a bit better.

This morning, I got no traffic at all until the last bit of the journey, where I got some traffic, but having parked up, I noticed the unit was no longer receiving traffic.

So, the v3.70 GTM update helps, but still isn't the full solution.
Chrismb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody else tried the motorola charger and got the traffic to work? I've updated to latest firmware without success.
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Motorola Charger Reply with quote

Hi

I bought a Genuine Motorola Charger today, but with NO success. But on looking at the Data Screen, I find that I am not getting Channel 145, which is the channel that I normally get Traffic on. Does this mean that 'RAC Live' once again is not transmitting in my area (J21 M6 Cheshire). I thinkk it is time to go back to Halfords.
The only trouble is that last time i threatened to do this, it started working again.
But I haven't had any traffic since Wednesday!

David

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a USB adaptor from work to try, just a std USB port in the back of a ciggy lighter plug and used the USB lead that came with the Nuvi.......No luck with the TMC at all.

Starting to wonder if its pot-luck that you get hold of a charging unit that can pump out enough power to run everything, maybe the same problem that Garmin are having with specs' being changed, one batch will work and the next batch don't.

Anyway I've got myself a Ferrite clamp ring from Maplins for £1.50 so will experiment with that and see what happens.
evil_fezzy1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorola Charger Reply with quote

deesoft wrote:
Hi

I bought a Genuine Motorola Charger today, but with NO success. But on looking at the Data Screen, I find that I am not getting Channel 145, which is the channel that I normally get Traffic on. Does this mean that 'RAC Live' once again is not transmitting in my area (J21 M6 Cheshire). I thinkk it is time to go back to Halfords.
The only trouble is that last time i threatened to do this, it started working again.
But I haven't had any traffic since Wednesday!

David

Hi there as an employe at halfords i must just say that we should not take back any units that are over 30 days old. This is due tho the unit having removeble data and we have no way of checking. But i have only just found this site and fully agree the traffic reciver is crap and i spoke to a women at garmin today and they go with the nosie thing.
Joenowlost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Garmin's response - GTM12 problem Reply with quote

Having recently purchased a Nuvi 310D package from Halfords I am having the same trouble with the GTM12 traffic receiver - no signal anywhere or at any time. For £400 this is extremely poor and by the wildest stretch of the imagination.

I have sent a couple of emails to Garmin (with no reply of course). Given the number of people with this problem and who have said they have contacted Garmin, it would seem Garmin has been almost negligent in selling a product that is not fit for purpose. This is compounded by not proactively recognising and providing updates to its customers on this issue.

If anyone from Garmin is reading this then management in your organisation need too do the following:
1) Post an update on your remedial plans on your website
2) Write to those who have registered the Nuvi 310D/GTM12 explaining what you are doing about it
3) Enclose a power cable that actually powers the device in the car.
3) Liase with 310D resellers, particularly Halfords, to ensure that new units sold include the new power cables.

I am intending writing to Garmin relaying the same thing and if all those experiencing problems do the same thing hopefully they may take notice. Reputation spreads fast and I know of 3 of my friends who were intending buying GPS systems veering swiftly away from Garmin towards Tom Tom.
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Halfords Reply with quote

To Evil_fezz1

I appreciate what you are saying re 30 days, But the 'Sale of Goods Act' does say the goods MUST BE OF A MERCHANTABLE QUALITY' which clearly the 310D Kit isn't. And as Halfors are the retailer, they have the initial responsibility. halfods need to get on to garmin

David

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Motorola Charger Reply with quote

evil_fezzy1 wrote:
Hi there as an employe at halfords i must just say that we should not take back any units that are over 30 days old.
If it was simply a case of people changing their mind, then I agree - however, you (Halfords) are legally responsible to the customer for the warranty, so any problems within the 12 month period would need to resolved *through* you. As already said, the latest SoGA also puts the onus on Halfords.

Quote:
This is due tho the unit having removeble data and we have no way of checking.
Wrong - Garmin lock their maps to either the unit or the SD card, so can't be copied for use on another unit. As such, there's nothing to check - it's either all in the box or it isn't. It's not like TomTom, where you could use the new product to update the maps of an elder product.

Quote:
But i have only just found this site and fully agree the traffic reciver is crap and i spoke to a women at garmin today and they go with the nosie thing.
When you spoke to them did they provide any information on when and how we will be able to swap out our charging cables?
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm no lawyer but this whole '30 days' things sounds completely spurious.

Check out the Compact Law website.

The answer to the question below clearly suggests that there's no 30 day limit to taking goods back.In this instance it's up to Halfords to prove that the Nuvi 310D, or more specifically, the GTM12 isn't faulty. As Garmin themselves have acknowledged there are issues then clearly Halfords can't say otherwise and must give refunds to those that want them, even if they bought their 310D nearly 6 months ago.

I have bought something from a shop/catalogue/street market/door to door salesman which does not work.What can I do ?

The law says that if goods are sold they must not be faulty. Unless that fault was brought to your attention at the time you bought the goods, you are entitled to your money back or to exchange the goods for something else.

Under the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, any fault that arises during the first 6 months will be presumed to have existed at the time of delivery. It is therefore up to the retailer to prove otherwise.

Consumers also have a right to request a repair or replacement of the goods, (although the seller can refuse if the cost of doing so would be disproportionate to the cost of any other remedy available to the buyer, or a repair or replacement is impossible). In those circumstances the buyer can ask the seller to reduce the purchase price by an appropriate amount or "rescind" (end) the contract and sue.'
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys...just my 2p's worth on the subject...

All this consumer law talk is great (and correct!) but i have found Halfords will use every trick in the book to refuse a refund (i have been there 4 times now). They told me that they were not aware of the problem with TMC so couldn't give a refund, that the Nuvi had "personal" data on it so couldn't give a refund, etc etc. I even complained to head office 3 times and got nowhere. They did arrange for a new power cable to be sent to me but I could have done this with Garmin directly and this of course has not solved the problem. Short of taking their sat-nav "expert" out with me in the car everyday what can i do!?

If you want a cheap bucket and sponge or some bling bling alloys go to Halfords but not for expensive electronics. I have all but given up and am hoping Garmin will find a solution otherwise I have wasted my money!

Nick
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have other avenues to explore, Trading standards, C.A.B. , small claims courts etc.

They do not have a leg to stand on !
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As previously stated I'm not legally qualified however knowing what I do about the GTM12 issue and relevent Consumer Law information found on the net I'd be pursuing a refund from Halfords through the Small Claims court if necessary.

I was fortunate in getting a refund first time of asking from the branch I bought it from however I would have taken it further until I finally reached a satisfactory conclusion.

The facts are, as I understand them to be, Halfords are selling the Nuvi 310d, which includes an item which doesn't work properly. The manufacturers of the item have acknowledged there are issues with it, so consequently as the retailer Halfords are legally obliged to sort the problem with the consumer. If they are refusing to do so then further legal action can be taken.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 14 of 44

Jump to: