Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which to buy Fugawi or Memory Map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which to buy Fugawi or Memory Map
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw no!

Now I am really confused. Now I have parted with my earthing money another 2 organisations have similar spec kit on the go.

Memory Map has gone thru a very generous upgrade AND another organisation Tracklogs has demo CDs which really do run very well indeed.

Topographical mappinf certainly has come on in leeps and bounds in the last -erm- 14 days?

For me? Well I think I'll stick with Anquet (but I retained an option for Great Britain South so may indulge in another map for Wales) (I mean from another organisation altogether)

But what attracted me to Anquet was a demonstration to stick by its present and past purchasers. There are 2 (or is it 3?) past updates on Anquet website which I processed and take as an indication that they have supported Anquet map users for quite some time.

So, at the mo and speaking totally as a consumer-purchaser I am happy with the score sheet above but perhaps I should also add for completeness:

Tracklogs Third Equal

the bagal has landed
sparkyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have been reading this thread with interest.
Just after christmas i purchased the south downs version of Anquet - Almost an impulsive purchase..... but not quite, anyway I am out quite a bit in the east anglian area and am thinking about purchasing some mapping software to go with my etrex, pc and soon to be gained ipaq 3630.

I assume that anquet is new to the market hence there not being may references to anquet? Or do MM or Fugawi work better?

I also notice that someone posted a thread saying that Fugawi does not work with a PPC, is this true?? MM does not look any better than anquet to me- and i have found anquet to be great! The only think i don notice is that sometime there is a large differnece between 50,000 scale on anquet and 25,000 scale map (I know this is obvious- but is it the same with all the software- being a newb with this modern tech!!)

Cheers

Sparky
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello SparkyWeb

Yeh - I know what you mean. The choice really is great - topographical digital mapping really seems to have taken off. I hope to take my kit to some UK extremes sometime soon.

I empathise and there are demos you can obtain either by disk (Tracklogs) or by online download of demo (Anquet and MM as far as I know But there may be more)

I tried all 3 after burning my fingers on another digital map by a different organisation. So approached the 3 demos rather warily.

I tried to rate them by map but an OSGB is an OSGB whatever name is on the side of the box. Changing frame of reference for analysis seemed important from that point on.

I chose: most intuitive software - what can I use with as little thought as possible with cold stinging fingers? Can I do it blinfolded? (only kidding!) What software (note not map) seems most intuitive to me? What has greatest fun value, runs sweet on PC & PPC and who responds best to problems updates and so forth.

I hope this helps you on your trek and perhaps it is a question of preference rather than one of absolute winner all across the board. I picked mine, paid for it, played with it and look forward to using it for serious sometime soon.

I hope this helps Idea
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops - a ps. The ability to store your prospective routes and transfer them to PPC is brilliant. No more loose bits of paper, notepads to find - they are there a week's worth or PROSPECTIVE paths and treks all there for the finetuning once out in the bens.

I hope I do it justice Embarassed
sparkyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BBB,

Many thanks for your comments back. I think that i will stick with Anquet then.
I did read that one of Fugawi or MM can't remember which does not give OS grid refs on the PPC which is not that helpful to me.

So it looks like I will keep with Anquet, unless anyone has any other thoughts or comments..............................

Sparky
Snafu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracklogs is not really an option as it only has GPS interface ie you can program your GPS with routes and waypoints.

The OSGB options are Anquet, Fugawi and Memory-Map. All of which work on the Pocket PC and Fugawi also works on the Palm PDAs as well.

Actually an OSGB map is not the same between the 3 suppliers. They all use different compression routines to allow the maps to fit onto the storecard of your PDA. Seeing all 3 next to each other will highlight this.

Anquet is the "new kid on the block" and consequently does not have the maturity of the others. This means that it has not got so many features available.

I dont think that any PPC is intuitive, especially if there are lots of features built into them. Possibly an easier interface represents less features available. I will be giving the Anquet Maps a good evaluation in the next couple of weeks so can provide a feature analysis.

One good thing about Anquet is that they claim to be backwards compatible with older mapping data so if you have earlier versions of Anquet the PPC will work with those.
JSW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is Fugawi so much cheaper than the others? You can buy 1:50,000 of half the UK for around £80, while many of the others charge that for one tiny map region.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: