Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator 6 TMC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator 6 TMC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Destinator 6 TMC Reply with quote

Hi,

Recently bought Destinator 6 to replace Navigon Vn4 and am happy with the GPS side of things, however I have not been able to set up TMC (free version) to show any reports. Auto detect does not detect any channels but manual allows selection of a number of stations. Navigon uses Classic (ITIS) to receive broadcast but I suspect that Destinator uses Trafficmaster/RAC so in Central Scotland I suspect that is (Chrysalis) XFM Scotland. Anybody had any luck with TMC on Destinator 6?

Beep
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destinator 6 does not support TMC in the UK. This is because there is no "free TMC", as both ITIS and Trafficmaster are Pay-TMC systems.

The only way you can get, TMC with Destinator 6, is to use the Trafficsam version.
Beep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Petekk. If this is the case then the advertising material on the Destinator site and the information on the packaging of Destinator 6 and the Support Line is misleading since all show "free" TMC to be available in the UK. The only clue I have had that this might be the case was in an e-mail from support

"The TMC service is a free service in the most countrys in europe. It is dependently to the Radio stations which offer a free TMC service which are at least not existing in the UK. You have to contact www.trafficmaster.co.uk to get a TMC Service in UK."

Beep

PS Sorry for the confusion of double posting some elements of this discussion are at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=41207 . Happy for Moderator to close this thread and move missing parts to Destinator Forum if appropriate.
Alsone1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petekk wrote:
Destinator 6 does not support TMC in the UK. This is because there is no "free TMC", as both ITIS and Trafficmaster are Pay-TMC systems.

The only way you can get, TMC with Destinator 6, is to use the Trafficsam version.

Are you sure this is the case?

Because in the July 2006 edition of Max Power Magazine they have it on test for a month now and report no problems.

Also, Pocket Lint have just reviewed it in the UK: http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/review.php?reviewId=1520

Quote:
Rerouting is devilishly fast, which is just as well because you’ll probably be doing plenty of it. This isn’t because the device is dumb, just the opposite: it’s very smart indeed. The secret being the Traffic Message Channel (TMC) compatibility, using a provided FM receiver this grabs traffic information data from the radio waves and feeds them into the satnav device, rerouting you should there be traffic jams or bad weather that might slow you down ahead.

A free lifetime subscription to TMC is included in the cost, something worth checking with other devices as even those costing much more may make an annual charge.

Al.
Alsone1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have said this is a review of the Evesham BM (Blue Media) 6300-TMC. Maybe the seperate PDA software doesn't include the subscription - anyone know if thats he difference?
chippie_w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I received Navigator 6 yesterday and installed it on my Eten G500 which has inbuilt GPS & TMC receiver.

Went into the setup and set both GPS & TMC to receive on port 4 speed 38400. TMC set to autoscan

GPS locked on but TMC scanning FM channels but no input.
Then i remember reading somewhere that you have to plug your earphones in to act as an aerial.
Voila starting receiving Traffic reports.
These will be the same as you receive via RDS, not as many or updated live like Traffic Master, but its better than nothing and free!!

Regards

Chippy
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chippie_w wrote:
These will be the same as you receive via RDS, not as many or updated live like Traffic Master, but its better than nothing and free!!
Destinator uses Trafficmaster, so it is the same as you receive via RDS-TMC (given that's the service in use) and will be as many and as updated as Trafficmaster. It's also not free (the small charge is built into the Destinator 6 purchase).
chippie_w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have standard destinator 6 not destinator with trafficsam as i was told by their support that i coud not get an upgrade i had to buy the full product again with trafficsam, what aq bummer !!
im getting info by normal rds in uk
Beep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So chippie_w, my original question related to normal RDS/TMC and how to receive it.

You said in an earlier post you had tried a scan for TMC and it hadn't worked. Did you then have to select a station manually and how are you able to tell you are receiving TMC? I am currently running with XFM_Scotland RAC as the manually selected station with TMC receiver on COM 4 and the baud rate of 38400 but have never seen any traffic reports in 3 weeks of use and cannot believe that there have been no reports in a 160 Km radius (figure provided by Destinator) of Central Scotland! I have set reroute to manual just in case I was receiving info and just not seeing the messages.

I wrote to Destinator, Trafficmaster at Destinator suggestion and the supplier I bought the software from to ask the same questions but to date have not had a reply.
chippie_w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beep wrote:
So chippie_w, my original question related to normal RDS/TMC and how to receive it.

You said in an earlier post you had tried a scan for TMC and it hadn't worked. Did you then have to select a station manually and how are you able to tell you are receiving TMC? I am currently running with XFM_Scotland RAC as the manually selected station with TMC receiver on COM 4 and the baud rate of 38400 but have never seen any traffic reports in 3 weeks of use and cannot believe that there have been no reports in a 160 Km radius (figure provided by Destinator) of Central Scotland! I have set reroute to manual just in case I was receiving info and just not seeing the messages.

I wrote to Destinator, Trafficmaster at Destinator suggestion and the supplier I bought the software from to ask the same questions but to date have not had a reply.

I have a PDA phone with built in GPS and TMC/FM receiver.
I set up TMC options in Destinator to autoscan and auto reroute
As I said Firstlly didnt get anything but when selecting TMC button from map page i could see the frequencies being scanned but nothing.
Then i remembered that the TMC fm receiver needs the headphones to be plugged in for the aerial, i then started to receive traffic info, I tried it again last night and picked up 10 incidents up to 150 miles from my location.
it can take a time as i think they only get broadcast about every 10-15 mins. I check again and see what station it is picking them up from down here in London

Good Luck

P.S now i have to drive with headphones in ear or I can't hear voice prompts, I working on that !!
sma2sr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

In search of TMC events ....

I have Destinator 6 loaded on a Dell Axim with a GNS 5483 GPS/TMC reciever and been experiencing similar issues to those posted. I've just had some info from Destinator support in response to my question to them:

I remember reading that you had an arrangement with Trafficmaster for Destinator to be able to pick up Trafficmaster TMC information in the UK. Is this correct, and if so what radio station is broadcasting this information?

Response from Destinator There are two broadcasters in the UK these are , Gcap Media Plc and Chrysalis. These are the only two broadcasters in the uk which offer a free TMC service.

I'm now investigating info from traffic master from here ... http://www.trafficmaster.co.uk/page.cfm?key=RDS_TMC

Anyone else been down this track?
Beep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chippie-w.

At least I now know that TMC works within Destinator although I am running it on a PDA with seperate RDS/TMC module which has a connection to the car aerial. More "investigation" of my RDS receiver required!! Smile
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sma2sr wrote:
Response from Destinator There are two broadcasters in the UK these are , Gcap Media Plc and Chrysalis. These are the only two broadcasters in the uk which offer a free TMC service.
I appreciate this was a response from Destinator, and not you, but they are wrong. Neither service (iTIS Holdings' RDS-TMC or Trafficmaster / RAC Live RDS-TMC) is "free" - however, in many cases there is a single one-off lifetime subscription to pay and then you can receive the information without further charges.

Some SatNav manufacturers. for example, charge a monthly / yearly fee to access this information.
chippie_w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="chippie_w"]
Beep wrote:

it can take a time as i think they only get broadcast about every 10-15 mins. I check again and see what station it is picking them up from down here in London

Good Luck

P.S now i have to drive with headphones in ear or I can't hear voice prompts, I working on that !!

After using setup again last night I was picking up info from Capital Radio down here 95.8fm
it scanned all frquencies then stayed on this and i got about 12 incidents
it stayed on this for about a min then carried on scanning.

Hope this helps
Beep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chippy_w. For here it looks like either Classic FM or XFM Scotland will be the stations but currently I can only have them "recognised" by doing a manual scan. Am going to try reverting to "old" software to try to eliminate hardware as the problem. Again thanks for the info you have provided which has helped in the process of trying to find my problem.

Beep

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: