Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 use in Eire
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 use in Eire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: i3 use in Eire Reply with quote

Can anyone advise if the standard UK version of the i3 with V8 maps has full navigation in Eire?

I thin it was mentioned that Northern Ireland was included but may want to use the i3 on holiday in the South.

Thanks
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. It has major roads only, plus street-level mapping in reasonably sized towns, but few rural roads.
Samsung Galaxy S21
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just returned from three weeks touring in Eire.
The condition of the roads is matched by the level of detail in CityNavigator v8 - very poor!

The main urban areas Dublin, Killarney, Galway etc have a good level of detail, but the other urban areas have 20ft of the junctions marked, but then disappear!

If you are interested in a particular area, send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a PC screenshot.
Jonboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the mapping situation in Eire, will improve once version 9 is out, (should be sometime later this year).

I must admit, i was going to purchase the brand new Garmin Nuvi 310 which is using the version 8 mapping, before i went to Ireland a few weeks back. I checked Garmin's coverage, and whilst it should help you off the boat, either from Dublin port or Dun Loaghaire, to the main roads, such as the N50, N4, etc, its when you get off the main drags you hit the problems. Many of the smaller towns are not even listed, let alone any road leading to or from them, hence i did not purchase the new sat nav, but reverted to the old trusty paper atlas!

We travelled to Longford, Mayo, Galway, over in the far west of Ireland, and many's the time i would have to pull over and scan the atlas, (sometimes you get to junctions over there and there would'nt be a road sign!!!), what makes matters worse is you've got passengers that cannot read maps!! Rolling Eyes

If you do need full coverage of Ireland i believe the AA Navigator has FULL coverage of Ireland, both North and South. But it is priced at around £300. Me, i'll just wait till the version 9 maps comes out, and hopefully we will get the proper coverage of Ireland at long last! Laughing
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonboy wrote:
its when you get off the main drags you hit the problems

The M, N and R roads are all mapped as are larger cities like Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Waterford. It is usable and still better than using a paper map.

I would think carefully about buying a Garmin if I lived in Ireland but for occasional travel there it's fine.
Buelligan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...better than TomTom who offer no coverage at all of Ireland.

I thought that the problem was that the OSI (Ordnance Survey Ireland) had refused to release maps. Not sure if it was a money issue or a problem with the completeness of the maps.

I was not expecting much but the street level mapping in Dublin is surprisingly good. Searching for addresses is rather challenging though. Many places in and around Dublin can only be found by searching under "County Dublin". This would be akin to looking for a road in Sevenoaks by typing in "Kent".
Jonboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Jonboy wrote:
its when you get off the main drags you hit the problems

The M, N and R roads are all mapped as are larger cities like Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Waterford. It is usable and still better than using a paper map.

I would think carefully about buying a Garmin if I lived in Ireland but for occasional travel there it's fine.

Yes they might well be mapped, but its when you come off a 'R' road what then?? I agree it's useable up to a point, following the M, N, and R roads, but for the vast majority of people who go 'off the beaten path' to visit friends or relatives or just to explore it's a complete waste of time and money.

Once you come off an 'R' road particulary over in the west of Ireland, you come across a large number of single track roads, you can drive for 10-15 miles in some cases, get to a junction with another single track road, and theres not even a sign post!! Now if your brand new sat nav has only M, N, and R roads listed whats the use of it. ( It'll only show you going over fields, mmm, nice!)

It really is about time Garmin sorted this!! Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: